What's new

Accidentally swallowed unstrained kava, will I be sick?

Lizz33

So today was my second time having kava, the first time was 2 days ago, and I felt kind of lightheaded, a little nauseous and relaxed all day. Today I was so excited to have a cup that I forgot to strain it. Yup, swallowed 3 tablespoons of Wakacon ground kava with the water it was in. Is this dangerous? Do I need to call poison control?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Unstrained kava, while not so appealing, is safe. It won’t damage your liver or anything. I just wouldn’t make a habit of it, because it can cause skin dryness and a bit of stomach upset.

From the looks of your post you’re probably not into it anyway. I always thought it was like drinking a nice glass of sawdust.

Lizz33

Unstrained kava, while not so appealing, is safe. It won’t damage your liver or anything. I just wouldn’t make a habit of it, because it can cause skin dryness and a bit of stomach upset.

From the looks of your post you’re probably not into it anyway. I always thought it was like drinking a nice glass of sawdust.
Thanks for your response! Yes, tastes like sawdust but I plan to continue drinking it once in awhile (albeit without the ground sawdust in it).

ThePiper

Kava Lover
You'll be fine. I imagine eating a lot of the rough parts could cause indigestion. Keep in mind you are ingesting lots of particles of kava even when you make it perfectly. The rough fibers (the twiggy looking parts) are called makas and they are believed to have fewer active ingredients (kavalactones) are largely fiber. Like eating the stems on your fruit I imagine.

My supplier actually cuts the kava with saw dust. About a 70/30 kava/sawdust mix. I thought it was totally normal to have not only the texture but actual saw dust in it.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
My supplier actually cuts the kava with saw dust. About a 70/30 kava/sawdust mix. I thought it was totally normal to have not only the texture but actual saw dust in it.
Your supplier is ripping you off, there is no such thing in the kava world, people that add "hard to believe it" sawdust to the mix is either mentally impared or a scammer, probably a bit of both. Scarier is you think it is normal. Do yourself a favor and buy real kava that is 100% roots, NO leaves, stems and i can't believe I have to say this but no sawdust either.

yestothat

Kava Curious
Wood chips? That sounds wrong...

Is it against the rules to share the name of the supplier? I definitely don't want any kind of wood along with my kava.