What's new

Advice on blender preparation method

engin3rd

I'm new to kava and I was hoping to get some advice on preparation. I just picked up the sampler pack of medium grind from KwK. I have used the blender method twice and got slightly different results. I'm trying to do whatever is easiest and strongest...while annoyingly loud, the blender seems easier than kneading the bag for a long time.

First time I did (4) Tbsp borogu and 12oz of ~115F water. After blending for several minutes (2 min blend, 1 min rest, repeat 3x), I put it in the strainer bag and wrung it out by hand. The kava inside seemed pretty dry/crumbly afterward. The resulting brew made my mouth slightly numb and a little relaxed.

Next time I did (8) Tbsp loa waka and 24oz of ~115F water (same method/ratio). It seemed much more difficult to strain, although the amounts of liquid I collected were similar (~8 oz, ~16 oz). It also had a similar effect (slightly numb mouth, mild anxiolytic). The remaining kava seemed soupy or like mud. Did it somehow get starchy? I was concerned that maybe I am getting it too warm and turning it starchy.

Reading on forums I get confused about "washes." Are people running water through the same kava multiple times to get all the kavalactones out?

Also, is there any tell-tale sign I've done a good job extracting the kava? I do get a very slight mouth numbing but nothing extreme. I've also heard of brew being "oily" but haven't seen that.

Thanks for any help!

Ed!

Kava Enthusiast
I don't think you can really get it "too warm"... heat will kill some kavalactones, but it also get so much more out of the root that it's worth it. I personally do three washes with my root to maximize what I get out of it:

1) Traditional hand squeezed, cold water.
Since kava is so micronized this initial wash ends up very powdery. If left for long a lot of that powdered kava root settles on the bottom. This wash also tastes the best.

2) Blended, boiled water
Blending boiling water is dangerous, it will explode out the top of your blender if you aren't careful, so be warned. This wash does not settle, because the micronized powder is already gone. It also tastes worse. It's usually just as strong as the first wash though, and depending on the kava can sometimes be stronger.

3) Masticating juicer, boiled water
This is where the quality starts to drop off, so I'll store up multiple second washes for this third was. Sometimes, with the right kava, this ends up being the strongest yet. Sometimes, it ends up being super weak if the kava has already been fully utilized. I find that the kavas that are more "dry" feeling, and more micronized, don't do well at this stage, where ones that have a more soft, not fully powdered feel can really come out well.

One thing to note, for both the second and third washes I do... the yellow sticky kavalactone goop that the heat brings out adheres to your blender/juicer. I use an ancient juicer that no one cares about, no way would I use a new expensive one, and my blender is just a cheapo Hamilton Beach one with cups I can change out. One is completely coated in kava "tar" that will not be coming off any time soon.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
When I read the thread title my first thought was "shove it in and turn it on!" but I realised that was less than helpful and possibly dangerously ambiguous ;-)

I use a blender for nearly every batch that I consume when I am at home (I spend nights away in my truck) and so have done a lot of it. I don't find warmer water to make much of a difference other than to thicken the kava and alter the taste undesirably. I just use room temp water, 4 to 10 tbsps of root depending on the strain and 3 to 4 cups water depending on how much time I have to enjoy. I also add milk to my mix, that makes a big difference. 1 cup milk and 2 or 3 cups water. I use a knee high to get the bulk of the root out and then a finer strainer for the finer particles.

Some other points are that if you're just starting out kava won't necessarily hit you every time and even when you are more experienced it's hard to know for a fact just how it's going to affect you, just the nature of it. Mouth numbing comes and goes, I used to get it, now quite often I won't notice it but then sometimes I really notice it. A second wash is possibly desirable but I don't do it after blending. A good idea if you want to do it is to use the root once, add some more water and wash again and then maybe even do a third but then mix all the washes together to get a standard strength batch. The more you experiment for yourself and try out ideas from the forum the more you will get a feel for what you need to do to get to where you want to be. Good luck :)

yankie_073

1. Measure out 40 grams of ground kava. I usually use boroguru.
2. Place kava into tripled kava strainer in mixing bowl, or in the case of the newer finer boroguru, it will be better suited to use a fine Fijian strainer instead.
3. Microwave 400ml of water to 120 degrees or in 1100 watt microwave for 1:20.
4. Mix dried kava with the 400 ml water inside of strainer in your bowl. Be sure to thoroughly mix the kava and continue to until you see no dried pieces.
5. Put on your nitrile gloves and squeeze and knead kava for 20 minutes.
6. Clean out your strainers and put your prepared beverage in the fridge.
7. Wait a couple of hours
8. Drink!!
9. Profit
This is most suited to me because i do not own a blender....but i don't own a kava strainereither..let alone 3.....any alternative? Also can't i just use warm/hot water instead of the microwave? :S1

Last edited:
Hi everyone!
I'm looking to buy a slow juicer and I'd like to ask a few questions about certain things.
- Some companies list the operating time of the equipment (more specifically Hurom) to be 30 minutes. Does this mean that after 30min the juicer stops automatically because it has built-in protection (overheat-protection e.g.) or is the 30min is the average time for making a glass of juice?
- Connecting to the previous question, can I juice 1kg or even 5kg of tomatoes in one sitting?
- Also another question is that every slow-juicer has strains? Or can be purchased separately, I don't mind if it doesn't come with the package and has to be bought, but I want to be sure the company is offering replacements or maybe a variety. the
best juicer for no pulp
- Can I filter the tomato seeds? Or even strawberry seeds? (because of colitis)
- Which kind of juicers do you recommend to daily use or squeeze the tomatoes in the summer?
The ones that I've found quality enough are Hurom, Breville, Omega, Angel juicer.
The country I'm buying from is in eastern Europe.
Thank you for the help! I know it's a lot to ask at first but I'd like to make a conscious decision and have been searching and thinking about these things for a while now without consensus.

Last edited:

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Hi everyone!
I'm looking to buy a slow juicer and I'd like to ask a few questions about certain things.
- Some companies list the operating time of the equipment (more specifically Hurom) to be 30 minutes. Does this mean that after 30min the juicer stops automatically because it has built-in protection (overheat-protection e.g.) or is the 30min is the average time for making a glass of juice?
- Connecting to the previous question, can I juice 1kg or even 5kg of tomatoes in one sitting?
- Also another question is that every slow-juicer has strains? Or can be purchased separately, I don't mind if it doesn't come with the package and has to be bought, but I want to be sure the company is offering replacements or maybe a variety.
- Can I filter the tomato seeds? Or even strawberry seeds? (because of colitis)
- Which kind of juicers do you recommend to daily use or squeeze the tomatoes in the summer?
The ones that I've found quality enough are Hurom, Breville, Omega, Angel juicer.
The country I'm buying from is in eastern Europe.
Thank you for the help! I know it's a lot to ask at first :) but I'd like to make a conscious decision and have been searching and thinking about these things for a while now without consensus.
You don't need a blender at all, an inexpensive 75-100 micron strainer and a bowl is all you need. If you are looking to buy a blender specifically, I probably can't help you, when I blend kava, I use a $15 Walmart blender. It's all you need as well, unless you are really into blenders, then get a Vitamix and never worry about it again.