What's new

All you need to know about kava, written for newcomers.

TheKavaFlow

Kava Podcaster
Hi All!

I just received a message from a seemingly new member of the KavaForums, and I wrote a massive letter that I feel should be shared. Kava can sometimes feel like a fickle mistress, and I really want to spread the gospel of kava to all who need it. Here are my thoughts -- take it or leave it :)

Kava can sometimes be a little tricky, and there's a ton of myths out there about the best way to do things, the proper way, etc. A few quick notes:
1) Always drink kava on an empty stomach. I normally drink kava after I've fasted for 3-4 hours, and know when I'm ready because I'm slightly hungry.
2) You'll want to drink kava a half cup at a time. These are considered "shells" around here. You'll normally have 4-5 shells each time you drink kava (if you mix it strong like I do). Drink a shell every 20 minutes until you're satisifed.
3) Kava doesn't taste good, so I mix it strong so that I don't have to drink much of it to get me where I want to go. My preference shouldn't overrule yours, though. If you find it too strong or thick, water it down. In Fiji, they drink it SUPER watered down, whereas in Vanuatu they drink it quite thick. All personal preference that you'll eventually come to.
4) The drink, kava, is really just water with kava particulates that sink down to the bottom of the bowl after being prepared. Every time you want to drink another shell, be sure to mix the water around so that the kava at the bottom ends up in your drink.
5) If you have any issues with the taste, I find that a liquid coffee creamer, like Coffeemate, is the absolute best flavor enhancer. You'll probably end up using more than your health would like you to, but it works very well!
6) I always chase a kava shell with a little water to swish out the kava flavor, and a piece of fruit or chocolate to drown out the kava after-flavor. Ginger products are also quite good chasers.
7) Buy medium-grind kava from a reputable vendor found here at the forums. Micronized or instant kavas complicate this conversation a bit, so if you're a newbie, I would recommend just sticking with medium grind and purchasing a strainer bag. Nut milk bags on Amazon work very well.

As far as the process, I do have an old video on YouTube that gives the basic process, but I'm a simpler guy these days with less time to mess with it. Here's what I do now, and it's super easy:
1) Take 2/3 cup of kava and put it in your strainer bag in a bowl.
2) Get your tap water as hot as it'll go, and then put two and a half cups of water into the bowl with the strainer bag filled with kava.
3) Making sure no kava comes out of the top of the bag, use your fingers to massage the bag in the water. Your goal here is to get as much fine kava powder out of the bag and into your water.
4) Periodically, squeeze the kava so that the oils come out of the larger pieces of kava in the bag. Hot tap water aids in this extraction.
5) You'll want to knead the bag and squeeze for a little while. Sometimes I go into a zen moment and knead for 15 minutes without realizing, other times I do it for a short 3 minutes and call it a day. It's up to you, but the goal is to just get all the fine particulate into the water, and the oils extracted from the large pieces left in the bag (these are called makas).
6) Cool down your kava with a cup or two of ice. Again, you'll find out how much you'll want to dilute with the more kava you drink.
7) Drink 1/2 a cup of the resulting kava drink every 20 minutes or so. My normal kava session will last about an hour and a half to two hours.
8) To reduce any nausea after, or the next day, I will almost always have something substantial to eat afterwards. A full meal, PB&J sandwich, whatever it is -- and a big glass of water.

One other thing to note -- people will often talk about "reverse tolerance", but I think it's a complete myth. I've never prepared kava for someone who didn't feel it. Follow these steps and drink kava on an empty stomach and you'll get there. What people call reverse tolerance, to me, is most likely not understanding what kava is supposed to feel like. It's not like being drunk; it's a gentle feeling that uplifts your mind a bit and helps you relax. If you're expecting to be blown out of the water, that's not what kava is. Sit down with a good book, sit on the porch with some lemonade, and drink some kava.

I hope this helps! Sorry for it being such a novel, but I so strongly feel like many people can benefit so greatly by utilizing kava that I want to help however I can. If anyone has questions, feel free to reach out.

Much Love,
Morgan

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Hi All!

I just received a message from a seemingly new member of the KavaForums, and I wrote a massive letter that I feel should be shared. Kava can sometimes feel like a fickle mistress, and I really want to spread the gospel of kava to all who need it. Here are my thoughts -- take it or leave it :)

Kava can sometimes be a little tricky, and there's a ton of myths out there about the best way to do things, the proper way, etc. A few quick notes:
1) Always drink kava on an empty stomach. I normally drink kava after I've fasted for 3-4 hours, and know when I'm ready because I'm slightly hungry.
2) You'll want to drink kava a half cup at a time. These are considered "shells" around here. You'll normally have 4-5 shells each time you drink kava (if you mix it strong like I do). Drink a shell every 20 minutes until you're satisifed.
3) Kava doesn't taste good, so I mix it strong so that I don't have to drink much of it to get me where I want to go. My preference shouldn't overrule yours, though. If you find it too strong or thick, water it down. In Fiji, they drink it SUPER watered down, whereas in Vanuatu they drink it quite thick. All personal preference that you'll eventually come to.
4) The drink, kava, is really just water with kava particulates that sink down to the bottom of the bowl after being prepared. Every time you want to drink another shell, be sure to mix the water around so that the kava at the bottom ends up in your drink.
5) If you have any issues with the taste, I find that a liquid coffee creamer, like Coffeemate, is the absolute best flavor enhancer. You'll probably end up using more than your health would like you to, but it works very well!
6) I always chase a kava shell with a little water to swish out the kava flavor, and a piece of fruit or chocolate to drown out the kava after-flavor. Ginger products are also quite good chasers.
7) Buy medium-grind kava from a reputable vendor found here at the forums. Micronized or instant kavas complicate this conversation a bit, so if you're a newbie, I would recommend just sticking with medium grind and purchasing a strainer bag. Nut milk bags on Amazon work very well.

As far as the process, I do have an old video on YouTube that gives the basic process, but I'm a simpler guy these days with less time to mess with it. Here's what I do now, and it's super easy:
2) Get your tap water as hot as it'll go, and then put two and a half cups of water into the bowl with the strainer bag filled with kava.
3) Making sure no kava comes out of the top of the bag, use your fingers to massage the bag in the water. Your goal here is to get as much fine kava powder out of the bag and into your water.
4) Periodically, squeeze the kava so that the oils come out of the larger pieces of kava in the bag. Hot tap water aids in this extraction.
5) You'll want to knead the bag and squeeze for a little while. Sometimes I go into a zen moment and knead for 15 minutes without realizing, other times I do it for a short 3 minutes and call it a day. It's up to you, but the goal is to just get all the fine particulate into the water, and the oils extracted from the large pieces left in the bag (these are called makas).
6) Cool down your kava with a cup or two of ice. Again, you'll find out how much you'll want to dilute with the more kava you drink.
7) Drink 1/2 a cup of the resulting kava drink every 20 minutes or so. My normal kava session will last about an hour and a half to two hours.
8) To reduce any nausea after, or the next day, I will almost always have something substantial to eat afterwards. A full meal, PB&J sandwich, whatever it is -- and a big glass of water.

One other thing to note -- people will often talk about "reverse tolerance", but I think it's a complete myth. I've never prepared kava for someone who didn't feel it. Follow these steps and drink kava on an empty stomach and you'll get there. What people call reverse tolerance, to me, is most likely not understanding what kava is supposed to feel like. It's not like being drunk; it's a gentle feeling that uplifts your mind a bit and helps you relax. If you're expecting to be blown out of the water, that's not what kava is. Sit down with a good book, sit on the porch with some lemonade, and drink some kava.

I hope this helps! Sorry for it being such a novel, but I so strongly feel like many people can benefit so greatly by utilizing kava that I want to help however I can. If anyone has questions, feel free to reach out.

Much Love,
Morgan
Thank you for posting this, I'll feature it on this page, I am sure it will help many people.

GeeseCTM

I thought I heard from a few different sources, that heating up the kava kills the potency. Please clarify this.

Thanks!

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I thought I heard from a few different sources, that heating up the kava kills the potency. Please clarify this.

Thanks!
Heat kills kavalactones, however it takes an excessively long time at temps well over 140°F to degrade any noticeable potency. Warm water will increase the potency at the expense of the taste.

Zaphod

Kava Lover

Thanks!
In my experience having hot (but not boiling - my tap water is ~130F/54C) will make a grog that is more bitter and extract more of the "heavy" kavalactones and in general make it stronger. My experience is born out by the testing done with the CTAHR method (you can search to forums for several threads on this). Chris from GHK has even posted a video where he boils his kava to make a strong brew. So in short, no I don't think hot water kills the potency. If it does it is minimal and probably overshadowed by higher extraction rate.

CTAHR thead (there are others):
Chris boiling his kava:

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Just to remind everyone that the 2010 Journal of the American Medical Association editorial on Kava Beverage mentions- (as do numerous Lebot, et. al. etc.)
"In Vanuatu, the major kava producer and exporter, the traditional kava beverage is prepared by cold water extraction of its roots. Historic use shows that kava is safe under the strict control of the rituals of Pacific cultures. The traditional beverage is consumed on a daily basis without apparent adverse effects, and kava cultivars considered as noble ones have a long tradition of safe use."

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Just to remind everyone that the 2010 Journal of the American Medical Association editorial on Kava Beverage mentions- (as do numerous Lebot, et. al. etc.)
"In Vanuatu, the major kava producer and exporter, the traditional kava beverage is prepared by cold water extraction of its roots. Historic use shows that kava is safe under the strict control of the rituals of Pacific cultures. The traditional beverage is consumed on a daily basis without apparent adverse effects, and kava cultivars considered as noble ones have a long tradition of safe use."
I posted a question on this point before (2016) - and "he who shall not be named" claimed that cold may not really mean "cold" but not boiling....I personally never boil and I stopped using hot water because my wife finds the bitter taste too much. Boiling can also create a fibrous sludge that is tough to strain....

the_wilderness

Kava Enthusiast
Reverse tolerance is real! but doesn't apply to everyone. I have a breaking in period of a month every time I get a new strain or take a break. 5 years heavy drinking and I know how to make a good batch. often wonder if it's wiring that affects the rt thing, I know mine is pretty messed up from past benzo use.

Blaze310

Hi All!

Much Love,
Morgan
Exactly what i was looking for! Thank you.

Manga Ono Kava

Kava Vendor
Hi All!

Much Love,
Morgan
Very informative information. I'm glad I found this forum.