What's new

Allergic? Or did I drink to much?

I've been drinking kava for a few weeks now and today I woke up with...hives maybe? I'm slightly itchy but I have small red dots on my arms, nothing scaly or anything though. I think I might of just overdid it yesterday though, I take these 3x a day:

http://www.gaiaherbs.com/...named-Phyto-proz-Supreme and they have kava in it, but I dont see how much. I also had 1 teabag of Yogi Kava Stress Relief tea midday, then at night I had about 6tbs worth of powdered kava. I dont think I had anything new in my diet, and I'm not normally allergy prone....so I'm really really hoping it's not the kava, kava has been a life changer for me really. I'm going to keep taking the Healthy Mood pills (for anxiety) but lay off the rest of the kava for the few days and see what happens.

*prays it's not a kava allergy* :)

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
Kava allergies are very rare. Since opening a kava bar and selling kava online I've heard from one person who is allergic. You could pretty easily figure out if it's the kava or if it's something else you're taking by ONLY drinking kava one day. If you end up itchy you may be allergic. I'd be more concerned with the other things that you're taking because they have more than one ingredient that could be causing the skin problems.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
 (Yogi Tea Kava Stress Relief Product Info)Yep, you may be allergic to one of the other ingredients. To get the skin problems often caused by over consumption you'd have to take 4 or 5 bottles of gaia herbs and who knows how much yogi tea.

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
I think you'd barf before you drank enough Yogi Tea to get a reaction unless you were really really allergic to kava.

kl.new2kava

Kava Enthusiast
I think it could be adulterants in the things you taking as Judd stated. If your interested in kava (which you should be), it would be much safer and cost effective to buy pure root. Capsules are an outright waste of money and the teas well slightly effective is very suspect in my eyes.

For starters the psychoactive compounds in kava (kavalactones) break down at temperatures below the boiling point of water so adding boiling water to kava would only destroy the kavalactones and hence the pleasurable properties.

Also another main ingredient in yogi kava tea is sassafrass. This should be considered as it implies that it contains trace amounts of safrole. Safrole was originally used to flavor root beer and sassparilla sodas until the FDA and medical community fiqured out that is is carcenagenic which led to it's banning for food and soap usage. It has long tradition of being used for mood elevation but is not safe. It is used as a natural pesticide is actually the key precursor to MDMA and very heavily controled.

Many companies shirk around these laws by adding sassafras leaves and not using the extract which is basically purified safrole but the compound still remains. If I had to make a wild ass guess about your allergy, I'd say you had an reaction to sassafras/safrole as opposed kava.

Saint John's wort also has reported allergic reactions which sound like what you are describing;

As with any herbal remedy, St. John's wort can cause an allergic reaction in some people, as noted by Drugs.com. Signs include a rash or hives, itching, wheezing or problems breathing, tightness in the chest, and facial or mouth swelling. An allergic reaction to St. John's wort calls for immediate medical attention.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com...ohns-wort/#ixzz25d7uj9I1

Basically try drinking outright pure kava and steering clear of adulterated capsules. Buy some straight up kava from some of the reputable vendors we advocate here such as; bula kava house, paradise kava or nakamal at home. I imagine then you will likely get much more for your money and allergic reactions will stop.

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
We need  Kudo system or something. I agree with new2kava...I'd be more worried about all the other nonsense in those products that the kava itself. 
Sassafrass...that's a tad scary.

Thanks everyone! I actually got my order from Bula last week, and it's much much better then the Kona Kava sampler pack they had before. I actually was taking the "Healthy Mood" pills not really for the kava, but for the passionflower and St. John's Wort.....stuff to help some anxiety and mild depression. I've been drinking the Yogi tea before I even knew what Kava was...I just liked the "Stress Relief" part :) And I *completely* forgot I had also started to take Maca root pills....which the side affects could be the red dots from what I've researched.

Teaches me to start to many things at once I guess :p

That's kinda freaky about the sassafrass.