What's new

Allergic to Kava

Hello, I loved kava until I became allergic to it. The last time I used it, by 6 hours later I was itching all over, my face was red, swollen, and covered in hives. I also had hives on my back and chest. It was horrible. Thank God it went away in just a couple days! Now I have this kava on my hands I can't use. I have several unopened brand new packets. I got it from Gourmet Hawaiian Kava. I contacted them several days ago, but haven't heard back. Anyone have their phone number?

Jennifer

Bluesjunky

Kava Curious
Is this something that can just randomly happen? I've been using kava on and off for years and have never had such a reaction, but the thought of one gives me a little pause--at least until I make my next batch and just can't resist :) Nevertheless, what would cause somebody who had never had any issues to suddenly break out in hives like that? Sounds a little scary and I'm sorry you experienced that.

chandra

Kava Enthusiast
It's possible to develop an allergy to anything at any time. My limited understanding is that a switch gets flipped in your body and your body thinks that the substance is harmful, so it produces histamine and causes the allergic reaction. I have outgrown many allergies thank goodness. When I was a child I broke out in hives on a regular basis. I still have allergies, but I haven't had an er visit from them in years, which is a huge step in the right direction. Are you completely sure that it was the kava? Nothing new in your diet or that you came into contact with?