What's new

allergy happens when I stop kava

Status
Not open for further replies.

exit stage left
I've been getting this allergy quite similar to seasonal allergies - red, sore eyes, runny nose, it just flares up and lasts for a few days to a week. At first I thought it was from drinking kava, but it seems to happen only when I stop drinking kava. Unfortunately I've run out of kava and can't afford to put an order in for at least another week, then there's a few weeks of shipping onto that.

It might be an allergy to the kava, but has happened 3 times now the same way - I use it for several days in a row, and then the allergy symptoms come on the next day, after I've run out. It runs its course for about a week, and all is good as new.

I thought if I was allergic to the kava, it would happen while I was drinking it, and not after I'd stopped. The reaction gets worse before it gets better, all without drinking any kava.

Makes a good case for never being without kava, but that's unfortunately not affordable. Next time I might try saving some kava to see if this happens and to see if kava helps.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
It could be just that the kava dries you out a little and stops the runniness. I doubt it is at all related to kava consumption.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I and others have noted that dermopathy symptoms can flare upon cessation of drinking kava.
For example, I might battle mild dermopathy when I drink kava everyday...but when I suddenly stop for a couple days it can temporarily get worse than if I hadn't stopped.

-33-

Trailer Park Boys - watch it on netflix!
It takes a few weeks to ship your kava? Are you not in the u.s.?

exit stage left
It's weird because it doesn't look like dermo, it looks exactly like seasonal allergies but only happens when I've been drinking kava daily for several days and then stop.

Yeah, I'm in Canada, takes a bit longer to get an order shipped from the US here, depending on customs. I've ordered from GHK three times and the longest took 2 weeks, the shortest took 5 days.

exit stage left
Reviving this because I have kava again. I didn't have a single allergic reaction while I was without kava. It would be really awkward to show up at either of my new jobs with red, dry, swollen eyes. It's really noticeable. I'm always afraid they'll think I'm making excuses to hide cannabis use or something. I've only ever smoked cannabis once, it gives me horrible anxiety.

To try to head it off, I'm frequently moisturizing around my eyes and using eye drops. My eyes are a bit sore today, but that could be tiredness. I'm hoping it either won't happen, or won't be as bad this time, but it's still not bad enough to make me not drink kava at all.

avahZ

YAHWEH Shalom
As long as I don't use nene I am ok. I have had kava daily in one form or another for Three weeks strait without any issues! Hope you find what works for you...

exit stage left
It doesn't seem to be limited to one strain for me - it's happened with random stuff from a local vendor, and also GHK's Boroguru, Mahakea, and Mo'i. Maybe I need to try taking less - yesterday was a pretty heavy session since I didn't work all day, and today my eyes are starting to get red and itchy and sore. I'm still trying to head it off with moisturizer and allergy meds.

Status
Not open for further replies.