What's new

Video Allie Severino - Back Alley Chat Podcast - "Jeff Bowman | The Man Behind the Kava Movement in the USA"

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder

Description:

"Jeff Bowman grew up in a small town in Michigan before he started to explore the jungles of Vanuatu for Kava. While Jeff attended FAU, (getting a bachelor's in engineering and an MBA) he tried kava for the first time. kava is a root from the South Pacific that offers a calming effect when used. Its closest plant relative is black pepper and the plant has been used for centuries by these native island people.

Jeff set off to open the first kava bar in the mainland USA, The Nak in Boca Raton, FL 22 years ago. Now, he is one of the largest distributers of kava in the world... I bet he never thought his college job of building and cleaning fish tanks would turn into this!

Jeff explains what kava is, what it's like to own a kava bar, K@ and the many controversies that surround these plants.

Jeff's Kava Site: https://www.nakamalathome.com

Support our content by donating http://paypal.me/fsii"

JohnMichael

Kava Synchronized

Description:

"Jeff Bowman grew up in a small town in Michigan before he started to explore the jungles of Vanuatu for Kava. While Jeff attended FAU, (getting a bachelor's in engineering and an MBA) he tried kava for the first time. kava is a root from the South Pacific that offers a calming effect when used. Its closest plant relative is black pepper and the plant has been used for centuries by these native island people.

Jeff set off to open the first kava bar in the mainland USA, The Nak in Boca Raton, FL 22 years ago. Now, he is one of the largest distributers of kava in the world... I bet he never thought his college job of building and cleaning fish tanks would turn into this!

Jeff explains what kava is, what it's like to own a kava bar, K@ and the many controversies that surround these plants.

Jeff's Kava Site: https://www.nakamalathome.com

Support our content by donating http://paypal.me/fsii"
I loved this interview. Just listened to the whole hour. The middle third has a good bit about K***** in it. Jeff says that it is a financial necessity for kava bars to sell it. But, overall, a great interview. Fun to see the person who has done so much for us in the states. I always have at least one bag of his kava in my cabinets. Very good stuff, especially the Wow. And they close the show with drinking shells of kava from little plastic bowls like they now use in Vanuatu. People kept stealing the real coconut shells. Thanks for posting!

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
it is a financial necessity for kava bars to sell it.
Kava Only kava bars exist! They just exist mostly on the West Coast. A quick list (not exhaustive) of Kava bars that only sell kava:

Bula Kava House - Portland, OR / Vancouver, WA
Sunset Kava Bar - San Diego
Gather Coffee & Kava - San Diego
MeloMelo Kava Bars - Several in CA
Bula Kava - Hayward, CA
Kava Bar - San Bruno, CA
Aladdin Cafe Hooka & Kava Bar - Roseville, CA
Kava DSM - Des Moines, IA
Sain Kava & Tea Bar - Greenville, NC
SquareRut Kava Bar - Lamar, Austin, & Belterra TX
Rooted Socialite - Lansing, MI
Kanaka Kava - Kona, HI
SqareRoots Kava - Orem, UT
Kai Po Kava Bar - Salt Lake City, UT (Thanks @Mixnpickngrinnin)

It can be done! :)

Last edited:

JohnMichael

Kava Synchronized
Kava Only kava bars exist! They just exist mostly on the West Coast. A quick list (not exhaustive) of Kava bars that only sell kava:

Bula Kava - Hayward, CA
Kava Bar - San Bruno, CA
Kanaka Kava - Kona, HI
SqareRoots Kava - Orem, UT

It can be done! :)
I didn't know this whole list, but I knew that there are some strictly kava bars around. I just thought it was interesting that Jeff seemed unaware. In his defense, he may have been thinking just of the state of Florida. Another assertion of his was that there has never been an arrest in the USA for DUI under the influence of kava. But it does look like there have been at least a couple of arrests for dangerous driving while under the influence of too many kavalactones. But I agree with his overall view of kava's relative safety. And he has done amazing things!

Mixnpickngrinnin

Kava Curious
:p

Bula Kava - Hayward, CA
Kava Bar - San Bruno, CA
Kanaka Kava - Kona, HI