What's new

Aluball question

Status
Not open for further replies.

kavagirl37

Kava Curious
So I am going to order medium grind for the first time and want the easiest prep method which appears to be the aluball. Question... I read a lot of posts talking about double or triple balling...does that mean you put 2 or 3 balls in 1 bottle and shake? How much med grind do you put in each ball...1 tablespoon?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
The balls have a little line inside, just below halfway full. Don't fill beyond that mark. The kava needs to be able to agitate inside the ball.

The original Alu shaker can fit 2 balls alright. I haven't upgraded to the new Alubottle yet, though people say you can fit 3 balls in those.

Don't forget to save your makas for traditional prep later. It keeps in the freezer. Once I get a bunch saved up, I thaw it and throw it in a blender, then strain. The freeze/thaw cycle and blending really helps "washed" makas produce another strong brew.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
The balls have a little line inside, just below halfway full. Don't fill beyond that mark. The kava needs to be able to agitate inside the ball.

The original Alu shaker can fit 2 balls alright. I haven't upgraded to the new Alubottle yet, though people say you can fit 3 balls in those.

Don't forget to save your makas for traditional prep later. It keeps in the freezer. Once I get a bunch saved up, I thaw it and throw it in a blender, then strain. The freeze/thaw cycle and blending really helps "washed" makas produce another strong brew.
I happily fit three balls in an original bottle, and often do. 1 TBS per ball is ideal, but usually what I do is 2 balls with 2 TBS in each, with usually 400 ml or 500 ml water.

John Bytell

Kava Enthusiast
I happily fit three balls in an original bottle, and often do. 1 TBS per ball is ideal, but usually what I do is 2 balls with 2 TBS in each, with usually 400 ml or 500 ml water.
Why is 1 TBS per ball ideal? I've been doing 2 TBS per ball. Is the extraction less effective w/ 2 TBS?

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Why is 1 TBS per ball ideal? I've been doing 2 TBS per ball. Is the extraction less effective w/ 2 TBS?
I think it is inherently more efficient, but 2 TBS per ball is fine, but also the max you can use and things still be fine.

But n.b. With the VanuWAKA I never go above 1.5 TBS per ball.

John Bytell

Kava Enthusiast
I think it is inherently more efficient, but 2 TBS per ball is fine, but also the max you can use and things still be fine.

But n.b. With the VanuWAKA I never go above 1.5 TBS per ball.
Maybe I'll experiment w/ that. Problem is it's hard to get a consistent reading on kava from day to day. I just know 3 balls with 2 TBS each is usually what I need. Unless it's Vanuwaka! lol
Trying out the 5 star from realkava tonight!

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Maybe I'll experiment w/ that. Problem is it's hard to get a consistent reading on kava from day to day. I just know 3 balls with 2 TBS each is usually what I need. Unless it's Vanuwaka! lol
Trying out the 5 star from realkava tonight!
I have double and triple balled that and both were wonderful. I was planning on having some tonight, as a matter of fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.