What's new

Aluball Wash Question

Nikki Collins

Kava Curious
For those of you who do a second/3rd wash with the Aluball, how much do you decrease your water wash after wash? I usually measure 5 shells per wash but trying to lessen my 2nd and 3rd wash. Was thinking of trying to go from 5 shells for wash #1, to 4 shells for wash #2 , then 3 shells for wash #3. I use the aluball shell to measure my water. Wasn't sure if this would still be too watered down. Any opinions on what you guys do?

Blue Roads

Kava Enthusiast
I fill water to the point between the "T" and "L" in "Alubottle", with a full ball in the water. I usually "dust" my kava first by shaking a full ball in the dry bottle, which gets the finer stuff out into the bottle, and then fill to that point. I shake for 2 minutes and use Alexa as my timer. She usually doesn't realize I'm saying "Kava timer, two minutes", and I end up with a "comma timer" or a "car timer". I do two washes with one ball. The second wash is usually thinned out enough that a 3rd wash isn't really worth it, although saved makas will extract a decent drink if you do a traditional prep. The second wash is also between the T and L.