What's new

Am I getting the most from Kava?

Smiles

Kava Curious
I have been drinking Kava Kava from the Nutrition Shoppe in Vacaville CA. I bought two ounces for $5.
I either stir Kava in water and drink it, or I put some water in a pot on simmer for a few minutes with a little passion flower in a tied up coffee filter. Then I let it sit and cool a bit before drinking it.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Probably not because Herb Store kava is notoriously the worst, junk kava.
You also might not be getting the most from it because it sometimes takes many uses before you really start feeling it.
Buy kava from the vendors you see listed on this site, they're good proper kava.

Smiles

Kava Curious
So I did an extraction with Isopropyl alcohol. I took the remainder of what I had and found a recipe. I won't post it word for word because there might be copyright issues, but more or less it's along this line; I put the kava in a mason jar, added alcohol, heated slowly some water in a pot. Put the mason jar in the hot water until the liquid/mixture turned clumpy. Strain, squeeze the remaining liquid, toss the clumps. Slow heat the jar one more time to evaporate the alcohol. Now I have a dark resin in the jar. Apparently it's strong, so I'm approaching with caution. Maybe a fingertip sized piece as opposed to a tablespoon.

Smiles

Kava Curious
Surprisingly, it works. I tried only a fingernail clipping size and feel that a finger tip size would be about right. Equivalent to one drink.

Bradley666

Kava Enthusiast
well your for sure in the right place :)
On the Home page of this forum, if you scroll down toward the bottom you will see a big list of the best and most popular kava vendors, read some reviews on a few, figure out what kind you want...then you can simply go to google and type in the vendors name, ordering online is quick and easy....
once you get the powder...its not actually that hard to make....put powder into a strainer bag...put in 1-3 cups of water and kneed the hell out of it for 10 mins atleast.....then strain it again once you finished and water has turned to muddy looking hot chocolate lol....after straining your good to go! :) Im not sure if you already know all of this or not, but I saw the comment "how do i go about it" so figured I would explain just incase you didn't...good luck!

verticity

I'm interested in things
So I did an extraction with Isopropyl alcohol. I took the remainder of what I had and found a recipe. I won't post it word for word because there might be copyright issues, but more or less it's along this line; I put the kava in a mason jar, added alcohol, heated slowly some water in a pot. Put the mason jar in the hot water until the liquid/mixture turned clumpy. Strain, squeeze the remaining liquid, toss the clumps. Slow heat the jar one more time to evaporate the alcohol. Now I have a dark resin in the jar. Apparently it's strong, so I'm approaching with caution. Maybe a fingertip sized piece as opposed to a tablespoon.
Please don't use isopropyl alcohol! That is not fit for human consumption. Dump your remaining isopropyl extract in the toilet. Remember Kitty Dukakis? If you must make an extract, use food-grade ethanol; in other words, vodka or Everclear. But as others have said, traditional preparation by kneading in water is far better.