What's new

Any good kava bars/nakamals in Hawaii?

jewalker7842

Kava Curious
Me and the wife are going on our 10 year anniversary trip to Honolulu next year. Any good kava bars/nakamals or kava farms to visit? That is definitely on the priority to me as I'd like to see where this plant comes from. I know the Ozia Kava Candy's are made there on the main island. I did not know if any vendors on this site are on the main island. I've never tried any Hawaiian kava and heard it's pretty potent.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Most of the kava farms are on big island, one or two on maui and moloka'i... There is kava being grown on O'ahu but I don't know if anyone is doing it to the level of 'kava farm', I'm sure the kava boom of the last 5-10 yrs has probably inspired people to try. -- You might be able to see some plants at Lyon Arboretum.

Kava bars in hawai'i are usually more like a juice/health bar that also sells kava. A few have come and gone over the years...but on O'ahu "Da Cove", near Diamond Head, has been around for a long time, they sell kava. There's also one called 'Fiji Kava' which is a hole in the wall type of place. May or may not have fresh 'green' kava.

Michael Nielsen

Kava Enthusiast
Me and the wife are going on our 10 year anniversary trip to Honolulu next year. Any good kava bars/nakamals or kava farms to visit? That is definitely on the priority to me as I'd like to see where this plant comes from. I know the Ozia Kava Candy's are made there on the main island. I did not know if any vendors on this site are on the main island. I've never tried any Hawaiian kava and heard it's pretty potent.
Da Cove sells kava from Puu O hoku.
Its fresh kava.

There is kanaka kava bar in kona on big island.

There is also one i hilo.
At least There was in 2020.

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
If you still have time to plan your trip's detail, try actually going to Pu'u O Hoku, Moloka'i...even if only for the day (they sometimes rent cottages).
You may be able to see their 'awa fields. Hawai'i Island, as already mentioned, has Kanaka Kava in Kailua, Kona.
Their farm is over east side and likely not open to the public.
Mau'i Nui Botanical Garden should have 'awa plants in the ground as should Waimea Falls Park, O'ahu.
Abundant Life Health Store on front street, Hilo sells frozen Pu'u O Hoku 'awa you might be able to make in Hotel room.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
If you still have time to plan your trip's detail, try actually going to Pu'u O Hoku, Moloka'i...even if only for the day (they sometimes rent cottages).
You may be able to see their 'awa fields. Hawai'i Island, as already mentioned, has Kanaka Kava in Kailua, Kona.
Their farm is over east side and likely not open to the public.
Mau'i Nui Botanical Garden should have 'awa plants in the ground as should Waimea Falls Park, O'ahu.
Abundant Life Health Store on front street, Hilo sells frozen Pu'u O Hoku 'awa you might be able to make in Hotel room.
When is Alia Point opening their Bed and Breakfast?

jewalker7842

Kava Curious
Thanks for the recommendations everyone. We still have plenty of time to plant for our trip. We aren't leaving till around September. Nothing is set in stone yet.

jewalker7842

Kava Curious
So we booked the trip a week ago. I’m stoked! September cannot get here fast enough. Anyways, we are staying in Honolulu at the Queen Kapiʻolani Hotel. Looks like there is the Fiji Kava Bar off of Dillingham Blvd and is a hole in the wall but has got good reviews 15 minutes away. Apparently, the owner pounds and makes the kava there and sells it. Hopefully, he has green kava I’d love to try it! I’ll also check out “Da Cove” and looks like it’s 5 minutes from the hotel. This winter wonderland in TN has got me dreaming of vacation lol.