What's new

Any health related concerns?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DownandOutinNYC

Kava Curious
Hi all,

So far I've really been enjoying Kava. I just want to know what side effects should I worry about? If there are even any side effects?

The liver thing seems to be mostly unsubstantiated, no?

How much is too much Kava? Today I had three tbsps of Borugo, then three tbsp of Pouni Ono. Is that too much?

Can you OD from Kava? Get a heart attack? I know these are silly questions, but I just want to make sure Kava is relatively safe to recreationally consume.

Thanks!

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
Hi all,

So far I've really been enjoying Kava. I just want to know what side effects should I worry about? If there are even any side effects?

How much is too much Kava? Today I had three tbsps of Borugo, then three tbsp of Pouni Ono. Is that too much?

Can you OD from Kava? Get a heart attack? I know these are silly questions, but I just want to make sure Kava is relatively safe to recreationally consume.

Thanks!
The main side effects are dry skin issues, dehydration, and, if you drink too much, nausea (and, if way too much, vomiting). You can't OD from kava. I'm not aware of any heart issues from it. It has been consumed at recreational amounts for a VERY long time; the plant can't even reproduce by itself, humans have been propagating it for so long. It's often stated that its been used for 3000 years (not sure on what that figure really means, but you get the idea). I would not consider 6 tbs of kava in a day as too much (I frequently drink much more than that, as do many on the forums and probably in the South Pacific). Basically, your body will tell you if its too much: skin issues or nausea. But in any case, you won't OD. [Of course certain individuals can have a weird outlier reaction to any substance]. Just stay well hydrated. But I am NOT a doctor.

Last edited:

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
The main side effects are dry skin issues, dehydration, and, if you drink too much, nausea (and, if way too much, vomiting). You can't OD from kava. I'm not aware of any heart issues from it. It has been consumed at recreational amounts for a VERY long time; the plant can't even reproduce by itself, humans have been propagating it for so long. It's often stated that its been used for 3000 years (not sure on what that figure really means, but you get the idea). I would not consider 6 tbs of kava in a day as too much (I frequently drink much more than that, as do many on the forums and probably in the South Pacific. Basically, your body will tell you if its too much: skin issues or nausea. But in any case, you won't OD. [Of course certain individuals can have a weird outlier reaction to any substance]. Just stay well hydrated. But I am NOT a doctor.
Doctor or not, that's good advice.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Hi all,

Thanks!
@recentreturn summarized it pretty well. I, and many others, drink daily with no other side effects then the dry skin. Unless you consider binge watching Battlestar Galactica (again...) because you don't want to leave the couch a side effect.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Hi all,

Thanks!
Typically "too much kava" is defined as either an amount that causes problems for you or regularly drinking more than 12 TBS of medium grind worth per day

Now, you say you had 6 TBS but don't mention if it is medium grind, instant or micro. So my answer is no, probably not and probably yes, respectively. For myself, I drink 8 TBS worth of medium grind most every day on average.

Yes, you can OD on kava. It is very unpleasant but the effects pass. Common symptoms include vision disturbances, dizziness, problems with balance, headache, nausea or cramps, anxiety, pounding heart. Best just to lie down on a comfy bed or couch with a barf receptacle nearby just in case, dimly lit, quiet, and sleep if you can or otherwise just relax. Drink water, maybe eat some small sweet or salty snack. A bad OD could make you feel bad for a few days but most typical ones wear off by the next day. One simply moves on after, a little wiser and duly chastened. For most people a negative experience like that inspires kava drinkers to stay within their limits. The worst thing to do in an OD situation is panic or freak out. You're going to be fine. It just takes time to pass. I am speaking here of just od with kava alone. ODing on both alcohol and kava at the same time, that's a different kettle of fish and much worse but even there, still not so bad, and you would handle it the same way and above all avoid unnecessary worry or freaking out about it. Relax, wait, drink water, that's about all you can do, really, but it works. Just takes time.

Kava is unlikely to provoke a heart attack. There are no problems noted in the medical literature, nor the istorical and anthropological literature. Of course, anyone prone to a heart attack can have a heart attack at any time, including while drinking kava. One could certainly have a coincidental heart attack, but very unlikely to be caused by the kava.

Keep asking all the silly questions you can think of. That's what everyone else does and what this place is for.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
@recentreturn summarized it pretty well. I, and many others, drink daily with no other side effects then the dry skin. Unless you consider binge watching Battlestar Galactica (again...) because you don't want to leave the couch a side effect.
It just so happens that I am binge-watching Battlestar Galactica (again)! I actually didn't get the last 4 or 5 episodes finished before they violently ripped it off of Amazon, the last round :p. But now its back! Since I am expecting it will have a stupid ending (like Lost), I thought I'd enjoy watching it from the beginning again before I actually see how it ends.

Last edited:

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Hi there, just wondering why you say this is too much? Is it just too much for you, or is there something I should know? I may often drink 13-14 tbsp. Just wondering.
aside from the consideration that the odds of dermo approach near certainty, I believe the main concern usually given is damage to the liver. Kava is safe when consumed as traditionally prepared: water + kava + maceration and in moderation. 12 TBS is the traditional limit, anyway. I'm sure for people with a healthy liver who know what they are doing occasionally going over the 12 TBS line is fine, within reason. I think the concern is less with a binge than with the regular use of kava at that level of volume.

"may often" is a tricky term. If it means once or twice a week (or less) then it's probably OK I would guess. But if it is more like 4 or 5 times a week (or more) then that really falls under "frequent use" which is not advised at that level. Occasional 13 or 14 or even 15 or 16 TBS should all be ok, if not done too often.

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
Not just dermo but dry eyes too. A lot of heavy kava drinkers will use tear replacement eye drops to combat the dry eyes.

On rare occasions with friends I’ve had one say the kava was triggering a migraine and another friend says he can only use it once a week because otherwise the heavy strains he enjoys aggrivate his depression issues.

Getting krunked can sometimes cause double vision. Or perhaps this is an OD. Close one eye to make everything one again until you find the bed. Proceed as others have said.

Kava is wildly more safe compared to alcohol, which I find amazing. I’m so happy to hear you’re enjoying it!

Avoid mixing with alcohol, Tylenol, Allegra, and MAOIs. Check all drugs through the drug checker online to make sure they don’t interact with kava.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
Not just dermo but dry eyes too. A lot of heavy kava drinkers will use tear replacement eye drops to combat the dry eyes.

On rare occasions with friends I’ve had one say the kava was triggering a migraine and another friend says he can only use it once a week because otherwise the heavy strains he enjoys aggrivate his depression issues.

Getting krunked can sometimes cause double vision. Or perhaps this is an OD. Close one eye to make everything one again until you find the bed. Proceed as others have said.

Kava is wildly more safe compared to alcohol, which I find amazing. I’m so happy to hear you’re enjoying it!

Avoid mixing with alcohol, Tylenol, Allegra, and MAOIs. Check all drugs through the drug checker online to make sure they don’t interact with kava.
Eek, I've mixed it with Allegra before; didn't know it was an issue. I'll have to look that up!
*Edit: Well, WebMD's interaction checker didn't say there was an issue; I never noticed any problems when I was taking Allegra.

Summer

mercy triumphs over judgment
I believe the main concern usually given is damage to the liver. Kava is safe when consumed as traditionally prepared: water + kava + maceration and in moderation. 12 TBS is the traditional limit, anyway. I'm sure for people with a healthy liver who know what they are doing occasionally going over the 12 TBS line is fine, within reason.
So, are you saying there is still concern that kava may cause liver damage at regular use of more than 12 tbsp? I guess I don’t understand. I thought kava was generally safe unless using parts other than the stems and leaves.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
It just so happens that I am binge-watching Battlestar Galactica (again)! I actually didn't get the last 4 or 5 episodes finished before they violently ripped it off of Amazon, the last round :p. But now its back! Since I am expecting it will have a stupid ending (like Lost), I thought I'd enjoy watching it from the beginning again before I actually see how it ends.
Off Topic: The ending is not nearly as bad as Lost. I was a bit disappointed in it the first time, because it felt a bit like a shock/cop out but after watching it again I see how references were their all along....I just missed most of them. The danger in binge watching is you miss a lot of the little details. Worth watching more than once.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
I have been drinking Kava for nearly two decades and never had the dry skin effect. But then again, my body has been through a lot and probably just says “meh” to something as mild as Kava.

Nausea and vomiting can still occur with me if I pound shells too fast. I only make that mistake once in a blue moon when I’m really stressed.

It can also kill your appetite, so if you have eating issues then watch out for that. Sometimes I’ll forget to eat dinner for days at a time because the Krunk keeps my appetite down. You want to make sure you are getting enough food and water to stay healthy.

Enjoy!

:)

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I have been drinking Kava for nearly two decades and never had the dry skin effect. But then again, my body has been through a lot and probably just says “meh” to something as mild as Kava.

Nausea and vomiting can still occur with me if I pound shells too fast. I only make that mistake once in a blue moon when I’m really stressed.

It can also kill your appetite, so if you have eating issues then watch out for that. Sometimes I’ll forget to eat dinner for days at a time because the Krunk keeps my appetite down. You want to make sure you are getting enough food and water to stay healthy.

Enjoy!

Excellent advice.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
So, are you saying there is still concern that kava may cause liver damage at regular use of more than 12 tbsp? I guess I don’t understand. I thought kava was generally safe unless using parts other than the stems and leaves.
I am saying that yes, there are limits beyond which kava becomes not safe. The same is true of water https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication and it is also very possible to overdose on turkey, carrots, tuna sushi, kombucha, star fruit (carambola), nutmeg, spinach, liver, and a bunch of other things......

I cannot tell you exactly what anyone's safe limit is, but I can say for most people that 12 TBS/day is around where that limit is and that forays in the 12 - 16 TBS/day range are ok but only as an occasional treat and not for every day. I would recommend against anyone consuming over 16 TBS in one day, I'll go out on that limb. The unknown variable here also concerns prep and potency. Everybody throws away kavalactones, but a lot can depend on how much of that 12+ TBS actually gets extracted. It is possible to drink 24 TBS and not get harm from it where 13 TBS could, depending on how each is prepared. I think the real thing to watch for is any symptoms or problems. And get a liver panel done now and then. I get regular liver panels done and despite 8 - 12 TBS/day that I extract the crap out of my liver panels always come back just fine. But that amount might be too much for another person yet a drop in the bucket for another. Obviously that 12 TBS is not hard and fast, more like an average and that's what people say usually as a safe limit. If in doubt, be careful. I would say check with a doctor but few know anything.

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.

Enjoy!

This is a good point too. People who need to keep their weight for whatever reason should worry less about the fasting aspect IMO.

This is a really informative thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.