What's new

Any recommendations on kava for daytime couch potato time?

KavaKen

Hey folks,

Been enjoying kava for a few months but I know that there are different ones for different uses (stress relief, social drinking, pain relief, sleep help etc.). I am looking for something I can drink after work, to unwind and get that euphoric feeling without putting me to sleep, while I relax in front of the TV for a couple hours. I tried some but they put me to sleep.

Any recommendations on some that won't break the bank?

Thanks,
Ken

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Hey folks,

Been enjoying kava for a few months but I know that there are different ones for different uses (stress relief, social drinking, pain relief, sleep help etc.). I am looking for something I can drink after work, to unwind and get that euphoric feeling without putting me to sleep, while I relax in front of the TV for a couple hours. I tried some but they put me to sleep.

Any recommendations on some that won't break the bank?

Thanks,
Ken
Try Wow from Nakamal at Home. Ultimately it's quite heavy and sedative but most people seem to agree that it's unusually heady and possibly euphoric before it slides into the sedation. Other than that then Mahakea from GHK. It's a lovely balanced Hawaiian.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I fully support the recommendations above. Also give bestfijikava.com a try. Wont break the bank and still has the classic kava effects. The AAA Products are quite nice.

KavaKen

Thanks guys. I will def give them a try. I should have mentioned I prefer instant/micronized but not opposed to straining. I have to confess that when I strain the kava myself I usually get some pretty strong grog, just hard to avoid the gag reflex when I drink the strained kava. I started with Wakacon KAVA WAKA powder and then tried the KWK instant Borogu and Borongoru. All very good but more on the sedative side than what I am looking for.

Thanks again!
Ken

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Thanks guys. I will def give them a try. I should have mentioned I prefer instant/micronized but not opposed to straining. I have to confess that when I strain the kava myself I usually get some pretty strong grog, just hard to avoid the gag reflex when I drink the strained kava. I started with Wakacon KAVA WAKA powder and then tried the KWK instant Borogu and Borongoru. All very good but more on the sedative side than what I am looking for.

Thanks again!
Ken
GHK do an instant Mahakea. Maybe try fire island from nah too, that's got a similar feeling to wow.

KavaKen

Edward, thanks!

What do you guys think about the Kavafied Tonga root powder. I know it's not instant but it got a good write-up on KavaGuides. I am thinking about trying the AluBall method as a way to get the benefits of fresh kava with at least a bit easier preparation (i.e. why I go for the instant, for ease of prep).

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
Edward, thanks!

What do you guys think about the Kavafied Tonga root powder. I know it's not instant but it got a good write-up on KavaGuides. I am thinking about trying the AluBall method as a way to get the benefits of fresh kava with at least a bit easier preparation (i.e. why I go for the instant, for ease of prep).
I actually prefer myself, Tongan Choice from TKR. Less head buzzy than their Family Reserve currently, also arguably more balanced than the Kavafied Tonga.

I recently tried the Kava Depot Kadavu Waka and was surprised at the potency. A heavy and hypnotic one for sure, probably the most potent Kava I have tried so far in 1 year of a fairly wide variety.

KavaKen

I tried the aluball and it was very easy to make a shell of kava. The kava was fairly strong too, although I have had stronger. I did do the Tonga from Kavafied. The aluball must get all of the kavalactones out because I did a second wash and it was very weak.

I am looking forward to trying all of the kavas suggested on this thread. Thanks all for your recommendations. Keep em coming :)

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
I tried the aluball and it was very easy to make a shell of kava. The kava was fairly strong too, although I have had stronger. I did do the Tonga from Kavafied. The aluball must get all of the kavalactones out because I did a second wash and it was very weak.

I am looking forward to trying all of the kavas suggested on this thread. Thanks all for your recommendations. Keep em coming :)
Yes with the Aluballs, I always weigh about 15 grams of kava, 2 washes mixed together- 300ml line 1st wash, 250 ml line 2nd.

But the 2nd wash alone, with an Aluball, is very thin and watery, barely worthwhile on it's own, hence why I combine a double wash for 3 or 4 nice little glasses per ball.

If you use a strainer bag instead of the Aluball, tying and shaking in a jar or bottle, you get more bang for buck and stronger effects, and the 2nd wash is almost as thick and groggy as number 1.