What's new

Any US doctors (MDs) who are knowledgeable about kava?

dustbunny237

Kava Curious
My friend's friend has type I diabetes, mild renal impairment (kidney impairment) and has anxiety. He has a healthy liver though. He drinks alchohol probably more often then he should. I suggested that the kava could kill two birds with one stone, helping with both his anxiety and his diabetic neuropathy. He said he should probably check with his doctor to see if it's ok for him to try kava. I'm pretty sure if he asks his doctor, they will dismiss kava because of the "liver risks". I would like to find him a US doctor (MD) whose an expert on kava with whom he can do a phone consultation to see if it's safe for him to try kava. Does anyone know of any MDs in the US who are experts on kava? I know there are medical marijuana experts, so theres gotta be kava experts. I have a feeling he's only going to proceed if he gets a green light from a licensed physician. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks :)

Last edited:

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
My friend's friend has type I diabetes, mild renal impairment (kidney impairment) and has anxiety. He has a healthy liver though. He drinks alchohol probably more often then he should. I suggested that the kava could kill two birds with one stone, helping with both his anxiety and his diabetic neuropathy. He said he should probably check with his doctor to see if it's ok for him to try kava. I'm pretty sure if he asks his doctor, they will dismiss kava because of the "liver risks". I would like to find him a US doctor (MD) whose an expert on kava with whom he can do a phone consultation to see if it's safe for him to try kava. Does anyone know of any MDs in the US who are experts on kava? I know there are medical marijuana experts, so theres gotta be kava experts. I have a feeling he's only going to proceed if he gets a green light from a licensed physician. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks :)
I'm not a licensed physician, but I wouldn't give him the green light. Kava is a pretty potent diuretic and will tax the kidneys. We don't see issues with it in normal functioning kidneys, but I wouldn't want to test the waters.

Since I'm not a licensed physician, I highly suggest he ask his doctor. You'd be surprised at the scarcity of MD kava experts.

dustbunny237

Kava Curious
I'm not a licensed physician, but I wouldn't give him the green light. Kava is a pretty potent diuretic and will tax the kidneys. We don't see issues with it in normal functioning kidneys, but I wouldn't want to test the waters.

Since I'm not a licensed physician, I highly suggest he ask his doctor. You'd be surprised at the scarcity of MD kava experts.
Thank you for your response. That's too bad. Yeah we'll see what his doctor says.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
If at all possible, I would just either am Integrative doctor, or a Naturopathic doctor.
They are more likely to know about kava, as well as having the medical qualifications as well.