What's new

`awa from big island vs molokai

Michael Nielsen

Kava Enthusiast
Assuming that you got some roots of the same strain and age
And to make it equal they are delivered fresh frozen.

would there be any difference based on the location on where they have grown?

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
I have no knowledge of the actual growing conditions in those areas, but as a general answer:
Kava of the same cultivar and age can produce significantly different potency depending on the microclimate (particularly humidity and sunshine/shade) and soil fertility where it is grown.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
I have no knowledge of the actual growing conditions in those areas, but as a general answer:
Kava of the same cultivar and age can produce significantly different potency depending on the microclimate (particularly humidity and sunshine/shade) and soil fertility where it is grown.
+slightly different flavour and aroma.

Just like with coffee, grapes or spices..

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
Surely soil varies a lot all over the place.

Then climate. And no natural, uncloned crop of any sorts will ever be identical, such is nature.

Even the same growing patch of strawberries for example.

But I'm thinking soil and climate, plus chemotype, are the determing factors.

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
I imagine you have to have really discriminating tastes to taste the differences. And I question how significant the differences are even if you possess taste buds and having the type of brain that could tell apart kava effects between the same varieties with different growing conditions. I'm sure the differences are there; or else I don't think kava would be talked about so much.

I think I know which vendors you're talking about, hahah!

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Assuming that you got some roots of the same strain and age
And to make it equal they are delivered fresh frozen.

would there be any difference based on the location on where they have grown?
You may find this interesting, if readable: this would be just KL % and profile of cultivars (sometimes same) from different districts of Hawai'i Island.
APN= Pepe'ekeo, PAU= Pauka'a, PAH= Pahoa, KAL= Kalapana, OPIHI= 'Opihikao, PUUAL= Zack Gibson 'Awa Farm, Hamakua,

Attachments

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
I think you're right. There's a difference between melomelo from Ambae, and melomelo from Pentecost or Santo. Or for another example, even when I don't know the cultivar(s) grown, you can usually tell a difference between Fijian kavas based on where they were grown. For me at least, Taveuni feels sleepy and sort of mystical. Kadavu is balanced. Savusavu starts out super heady and social, but then after a few hours it'll sneak up on you and leave you wobbly.