What's new

'Awa Nene

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Hi everyone, I have a good friend who retired from his kava business, it was Uka Kava/Maui Kava. Anyway I sometimes get some 'Awa from his son. I got about 90 pounds of a unknown 'Awa from him today. He chops it up and does a first cleaning of the kava and then I get it. The problem with thins one is that he did not bring any stalks for identification.
That is okay, when I was cleaning it further I came across a familiar yellow tag that identified the variety of kava and the date.
It was a Nene from 4/23/18. This 'awa originally came from Alia Point Awa Nursery. How about that. @Alia has been a key part of keeping the 13 Hawaiian varieties of 'Awa going and getting them into the hands of people that want to grow 'Awa. Thanks @Alia for all you do for Hawaiian 'Awa and kava in general.
Enjoy the pictures, notice how yellow the 'Awa is, full of kavalactones.
Aloha.

Chris

DSC_2752 (2).jpg
DSC_2750 (2).jpg

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Hi everyone, I have a good friend who retired from his kava business, it was Uka Kava/Maui Kava. Anyway I sometimes get some 'Awa from his son. I got about 90 pounds of a unknown 'Awa from him today. He chops it up and does a first cleaning of the kava and then I get it. The problem with thins one is that he did not bring any stalks for identification.
That is okay, when I was cleaning it further I came across a familiar yellow tag that identified the variety of kava and the date.
It was a Nene from 4/23/18. This 'awa originally came from Alia Point Awa Nursery. How about that. @Alia has been a key part of keeping the 13 Hawaiian varieties of 'Awa going and getting them into the hands of people that want to grow 'Awa. Thanks @Alia for all you do for Hawaiian 'Awa and kava in general.
Enjoy the pictures, notice how yellow the 'Awa is, full of kavalactones.
Aloha.

Chris

View attachment 11365 View attachment 11366
I looked at the photos before reading your text and recognized my little yellow plant tag! Hilarious, and please note-- I always try cut the tag lengthwise to use less plastic. Thanks Chris for making my day.