What's new

Bad allergic reaction

I am/was a new kava drinker and i had drank kava for a couple of weeks with no issues. Last week i woke up with a case of hives on my face/body and didn't think much of it. It started to get worse so i went to the doctor where they prescribed me a steroid. It still kept getting worse, so i went to a dermatologist who said that i should also be taking an antihistamine. Well, the hives seem to be getting worse and not better. I was wondering if anyone has any info on this? How long might it last? How long does kava stay in your system? Obviously i haven't had any kava since the reaction, and i don't plan too. Any help/input at all would be great. Thank you.

kavalover

Outsider
Hey scrappy. I'm not sure why you had that reaction, but since you say you've been drinking for weeks and only recently got this reaction, I think what you may be experiencing is kava dermopathy, a common side effect from moderate to heavy consumption of kava... I'll post a passage from a great book I've posted here before, as many people experience a wide range of allergic reactions to kava. Including me. Some people it effects very lightly (like me, with slight eye irritation) and some people it will effect heavily after short periods of time. For me, this unpleasant symptom will go away anywhere from 2 - 4 weeks after discontinuing kava consumption, but this will vary from individual to individual. Also, keep in mind the other possible causes of your reaction. I'm not a doctor, so don't take this as medical advice... it's just a suggestion to what may be happening..

Kava drinkers are thus sometimes recognizable by their bloodshot eyes
and ulcerous skin. These symptoms occasionally are wrongly diagnosed as
ichtyosarcotoxism, or ciguatera (fish poisoning), which is an occasional
health problem in the South Pacific. Such reactions are only found in
heavy drinkers and can be attributed to the properties of kava's active
constituents, lactones. The lactones in kava are related to
sesquiterpenical lactones - "allergens capable of causing severe
eczemas... what provokes the aggressiveness of these substances is the
presence of an alpha-methylene-butyrolactone group which enables them to
attach themselves to the skin proteins thus easily forming complete
antigens, which are responsible for the series of biological reactions,
which finally lead to the state of allergy" (Benezra and Dupuis 1983).
Skin lesions, called kani kani in Fiji (Frater 1952), disappear if kava
consumption is reduced. Kani kani seems to affect only those drinkers
susceptible to the allergens.
Kava: The Pacific Elixir p.60

Ed!

Kava Enthusiast
Ooh, sorry to hear that. I had an allergic reaction to something around when I started drinking Stone kava. I haven't really pinned down what caused it for me, but both times it happened were when drinking alcohol the day after drinking kava. So I would recommend avoiding alcohol for a while.

Wish I could help more but I'm very new to this myself. Good luck.

kl.Gray Owl

Kava Enthusiast
Just out of curiosity, which type of kava was it and where did you get it from?

I haven't had that from kava, but I have a lot of experience with allergies and systemic allergic reactions. Kavalactones ought to clear your system within 72 hours, but if you're anything like me your immune system could have problems returning to baseline even though the offending substance is no longer in your system. If you're taking any MAO inhibitors or other things that impact liver function, that could delay metabolism. I suggest drinking lots of fluids, maybe make some of it coconut water or something like Powerade so your electrolytes don't get too far out of whack. For a reaction like that, the non-drowsy meds like Claritin, Allegra and Zyrtec are not going to do shit. Benadryl is the best in that case if it doesn't make you too drowsy, second best is Chlortrimeton (or the generic Chlorpheniramine Maleate or HCl). I find that Chlorpheniramine is less likely to make me drowsy, but I am pretty well acclimated to antihistamines in general. Prince Phillip recommended Walhist from Walgreens, which is a generic form of Tavist, that's great stuff as well and works for 12 hours.

For the hives, I recommend Benadryl liquid or hydrocortisone, depending on how large of an area you need to apply--you don't want to cover too much of your body with hydrocortisone because you absorb it through the skin, Benadryl is safer to apply to a larger surface area. If it is all over your body, I recommend Sarna Sensitive lotion for covering everything, also the Aveeno products are very good (unless you are allergic to oats). Soaking in the tub with Aveeno bath or a cup of Magnesium Sulfate is good to get some general relief for the itching.

If it doesn't start to improve shortly, the best thing is probably to get a Medrol dose pack (Solumedrol, a prescription steroid) also Dexamethasone is good--I have major autoimmune problems and have had some reactions where that was the only thing that would stop it, but the relief was very rapid once I started on the Medrol. If the itching is really bad, Naltrexone helps if the doc will give you a prescription for that, normally that is used for opioid withdrawal, but it works. Hope this helps and that you are feeling better soon.

Thanks for the help. I'd rather not say what kind of kava it was, as it probably would have happened with any of them. If i'm allergic, then i'm allergic. I guess i will just have to wait it out for a few weeks. I really enjoyed drinking kava, but i guess it's just not in the cards for me.

Ed!

Kava Enthusiast
It seems a little odd to me that you didn't get a reaction immediately, that it came on a couple weeks in... like there might be the possibility that it was something else new in your diet, or something in combination with kava.

When I had my reaction I was also drinking a new pineapple juice that I'd never had before, and there were a couple other new additions to my routine as well, like a new laundry soap. So I have yet to figure if it was actually kava related.

I never mixed kava with alcohol, and i don't drink. It's possible that something else in my diet didn't agree with me (or the kava), but i've never had a food allergy before. I was using a 4:1 ratio, so 4 parts water, 1 part kava. Usually used half a cup of root to 2 cups water, and i never drank the whole thing in one night. I'm pretty frustrated at the whole thing. I still have a face full of hives and not much is helping. The dr said it could take a few weeks. It's already been a full week and it's worse now. I will keep you guys posted on how it goes. Thanks for the input.

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
Yeah that has to suck. I'm sorry Scrappy. Hope things start to improve for you. Hopefully they find out what it actually was.

Paradise Kava

Honolulu, HI
Kava Vendor
Scrappy, YES, there is a VERY small percentage of people who break out with hives all over their body because of kava. I know this because we have had two confirmed cases in 6 years of this happening. It's a very rare condition but it does occur. All the best to you in researching if it is indeed the kava.

Ozzyfan121

Pretentious, Wannabe Philosopher
That sounds really unpleasant. I hope you feel better! If you are unable to isolate the cause yourself or it continues to worsen perhaps a consultation with an allergist would be beneficial.

Ed!

Kava Enthusiast
For posterity: Alcohol and kava wasn't what caused my reaction. I don't think it had anything to do with kava. I think it was pineapple juice.

I hope your reaction has cleared up!

Just a little update on my allergic reaction. The hives took a good 10 days to slowly go down, and i was left with a red/patchy face. It's been 3 weeks and it's finally starting to slowly go away. At one point (about 7 days into the reaction) it started to spread down my arms, chest, and back. Needless to say it was pretty scary. My throat was never swollen so i wasn't in "danger", but i sure was worried for awhile. Thanks for the help/input from everyone on this forum. And just for the record, my kava days are over. Thanks again.

kavalover

Outsider
I don't blame you scrappy. Some people are more susceptible to kava dermopathy. If that's even what this was, it sure does sound like it though, given the fact that kavalactones were allowed to build up in your system, and then you experienced these symptoms, and then the fact that the allergic reaction went away some time after stopping use.

I'm glad to hear you're doing better, cheers.