What's new

Ban on Sale of Green (Undried) Kava Considered in Fiji

Status
Not open for further replies.

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
Thieving has risen to unprecedented levels due to the high prices. Most stolen kava is sold to middlemen green.
They've actually been talking about doing this for 2 or 3 years now.

Green yaqona plant ban on province agenda
Serafina Silaitoga
Monday, August 14, 2017

THE sale of green yaqona plants may be banned in Cakaudrove if discussions prove successful among stakeholders.
It is understood that police have started discussions with stakeholders.
Police spokesperson Ana Naisoro said there had been initial discussions with stakeholders for the ban to be adopted.
http://www.fijitimes.com/story.aspx?id=412538

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
Hmm, so drying will have to be done by growers themselves now? I wonder if that will mean smokey tasting kava, or more risk of mold. I like my kava smokeless.

Glad they're cracking down on theft, though. That's important.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Hmm, so drying will have to be done by growers themselves now? I wonder if that will mean smokey tasting kava, or more risk of mold. I like my kava smokeless.

Glad they're cracking down on theft, though. That's important.
As far as I know it is unusual for ovens to be used for drying kava in Fiji. Mostly it is sun dried. When ovens are used, the temperature is much too low to make smoke (if done correctly). It would seem that the growers doing their own drying--which is traditional--would also be better at minimizing the risk of mold, because it is dried immediately after being harvested. I imagine if it were stored and transported before being dried there would be more risk of mold growing.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Fiji Kava Quality Manual, comments on drying p. 62-65:

"The time between harvest, washing and transport of crop to the drying site should be kept as short as possible. Where possible the washing site and drying site should be close together to avoid contamination between washing and drying and minimise any damage that might occur in transport.
Kava is usually dried in the open air in direct sunlight by placing the washed and cut kava in thin even layers on drying racks or metal roof sheets.
Dryers can be used to produce high quality kava that is evenly and thoroughly dried, and this can significantly reduce problems with mould. However, dryers need to be well designed to avoid other quality problems such as smoky odours or damaging the kava because of intense heat. Dryers that circulate normal or hot air can both work well. These include drying ovens/rooms and solar driers; by indirect fire; or baking. The use of dryers is currently uncommon in Fiji.... "

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
If I know anything about thieves, it's that they're completely unmotivated and incapable of learning how to do things for personal gain. Especially something as complicated as drying roots and doing it away from suspicious eyes. ::awesomesmiles::
:angelic
Everytime a kava root dries, an angel loses it's wings.

Last edited:

PepperyPyrone

I'll have the pyrones with some pepper, please.
If I know anything about thieves, it's that they're completely unmotivated and incapable of learning how to do things for personal gain. Especially something as complicated as drying roots and doing it away from suspicious eyes.
Haha. This is why I find it amazing that thieves actually dig up kava plants, especially big ones. Now that takes some motivation right there. And possibly in the dark with flash lights. Maybe they use an electric backhoe.

Status
Not open for further replies.