What's new

Powdered Kava Review Beqa's Sanctuary 16 Oz

FYS

Shell Shocked
Note: This is part of a comparative review of three kavas from Kava Time, Savusavu, Beqa's Sanctuary, and Kadavu. In order to accurately compare the three kavas I prepared the same amount of each strain at about the same time in the evening and every effort was made to replicate the same conditions each time. 25g is an average amount for me so I thought it best to continue this for my reviews. It should also be noted that I generally prefer kavas on the heavier side.

Vendor description:
Our Beqa's Sanctuary is 100% medium grind lateral kava roots, dried by the radiant Fijian sun. The waka is sourced from the island of Beqa where the climatic conditions are just right to grow very pleasant tasting kava plants.

Our farmer has advised that the Beqa's Waka primarily consists of a variety known as Yonolulu in Fiji. This aromatic kava is very mild tasting on the palate and produces a relatively darker beverage. This kava is a late starter and its effects seem to kick in after a few cups. It is a relatively well balanced kava, best for drinking to relieve your anxieties any time needed without losing mental clarity.

Chemotype: 426531

Kavalactone %: 9.8%

Retail Price: $52.95/16oz

Shipping & Packaging:

This was purchased as part of the KavaTime Baby Mix sampler. Shipping was quick; 2 business days door to door. Shipping was out of Florida. The products came in a small brown box which is a nice change of pace from the standard envelope and much less prone to accidents I would imagine. For those concerned with discretion the name Kava Time was present on the package. The product itself was adequately secured by a sturdy piece of brown packing paper on both the top and bottom of the package.

Inside was a sealed bag bearing the Kava Time logo as well as the name of the product, supplement facts, preparation instructions, and notes about the company. Inside of that were 3 non-resealable bags, made of a strong plastic that is unlikely to tear, each with a sticker denoting the type. The fact that the smaller bags are not resealable may be an issue for some because if you do not use the entire package at once you will have to transfer to a different container or employ some kind of clip. Personally, I always immediately transfer all of my kava to a separate container once I receive it.

Overall I think the packaging is perfectly fine and the labels are nice. The only thing I would note is that I think the serving size could be represented a bit better. The directions say to use 2 heaping tablespoons which they equate to 1oz. While I prefer measuring by weight instead of volume due to its inaccuracies I would like to see the 2 heaping tablespoons changed to 4 level tablespoons(roughly equivalent to the 1oz stated per serving size) since its much more repeatable.

Weight:

Advertised Weight 3oz(85g) Received 83.25g Bag weight: 1.47g Sticker weight: 1.68g Total bag weight: 3.15g Overall weight: 86.41g

Two large chunks weighing .28g and .56g

Appearance and Scent:

Color is on the darker side of beige and pale. The grind is slightly on the finer side of average for medium grind with some small sized chunks, few medium sized chunks, and 2 large chunks. Relatively strong kava scent; maybe slightly above average.

The prepared grog is medium dark, about that of a skim chocolate milk though maybe a shade lighter, and moderately oily with a light aroma.

Taste:

Taste is pretty average in strength and completely drinkable with moderate numbing and mild bitterness.

Dosage and MOP:

25g of kava with 450ml of 170F RO water using the "Cactus Method" and kneaded in an 80 micron bag for 15 minutes and drank in 150ml "shells" every 10 minutes. Second wash was done but not used.

Onset:

Onset was slightly longer than average at about 25 minutes peaking at about 35 minutes.

Duration:

Peak duration was about 2 hours before tapering off with overall effects lasting about 5 hours before becoming unnoticeable.

Effects and Final Thoughts:

This is a moderately strong kava with effects almost entirely on the upper end. Despite it taking slightly longer than average for noticeable effects to be felt once they were they came on pretty fast and compound quickly. I found the experience fairly enjoyable despite the fact that I tend to favor heavy, low end kavas and this one is very upper end. Sedation and body load is minimal with very mild pain relieving properties but good euphoria and anxiolytic properties.

This is definitely a daytime only kava for me. Great for working out in the yard, going on a hike, or any other daytime outing. It is also well suited for those looking for help with anxiety, stress, or social situations without sedation or body load. Initially I thought I might have trouble getting to sleep because of the more stimulating effect of this kava than I am used to but once the effects started to fade I didn't have much trouble getting to sleep and awoke refreshed with no appreciable after effects the next day.

IMG_20161116_194057293.jpg
IMG_20161116_194137227.jpg