What's new

Powdered Kava Review Beqa's Sanctuary 16 Oz

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro

Overall, Beqa's Sanctuary is one of the few decidedly heady-centric Fiji wakas I've personally come across. It offers a light and clean, mildly mood elevating experience, without taking you over so much that it would inhibit your daily activities. I think it's best suited for daytime use, social situations or could even pair well with some light hiking. It's easy on the stomach, with little to no nausea, even at high doses, and doesn't diminish my appetite as much as a heavier kava would. It does have a trick up its sleeve though, at least at my dosage, which is that it can suddenly become very sopoforic at the tail end of the experience. So, despite being very light and heady, the end of the night always brought on swift, almost immediate sleep. The sedation persists gently through the night and you wake without feeling too groggy.

The taste of the dry powder is an average earth/wood kava flavor with a medicinal numbing kick to it. The prepared beverage tastes woody but also has a distinct soured 'funk' to it, the funk is thin and dissipates quickly though, making this a relatively easy to drink kava. Visually, it looks like a fairly dark, deep, imposing waka but it turns out to behave much more like a Lawena kava.

I experimented with doses ranging from 8 Tbsp. to 12 Tbsp. and couldn't really discern any major change in effects, except for possibly increasing that tail-end sedation I mentioned. Out of curiosity, I also tried straining with my old large micron paint strainers, rather than the 100 micron bag I've been using lately. The beverage prepared with the paint strainer was much more gritty and less pleasant to drink, but cranked up the effects a fair amount, to the point where the kava took on some more balanced effects and became and little bit more entrancing and sedating. That was the best preparation for my preferences.

Since my body/mind doesn't usually respond as strongly to heady kavas as most people do, this leaves me unable to fairly assess the euphoria, energy, loquaciousness and head-buzzy aspects that people love about heady varieties so much. However,
I can tell when I've had a kava that the 'heady kava fans' will probably love and Beqa's Sanctuary definitely feels like one of those.

Beqa's Sanctuary is one of Kava Time's new offerings from their expending line-up of Fiji kavas and is said to consist largely of a cultivar known as Honolulu. Honolulu is believed to be a relatively new cultivar in Fiji and not one that was historically grown there. Obviously, the name suggests it came from Hawai'i, but that remains to be unclear. Dr. Lebot says it shares the same morphotype as a certain cultivar from Vanuatu, yet exhibits a chemotype that's distinctly different from it's Vanuatu counterpart. In The Pacific Elixir, Lebot descrtibes the cultivar like this:

hono.jpg

::happyshell::

Last edited: