What's new

Best Fiji Kava and AAA?

Hola,
I tried to search for this to no avail. Does anyone understand the difference between their regular Kava and the AAA Kava? Is the standard noble?

Thanks!

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Says on their website it's 25% stronger.

That said, AAA grade doesn't really mean anything in the greater kava world, so presumably it's just their way of differentiating their products.

Reactions: EQ

EQ

Atman
Says on their website it's 25% stronger.

That said, AAA grade doesn't really mean anything in the greater kava world, so presumably it's just their way of differentiating their products.
Do you like AAA? Do you recommend?

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I haven't had it in a long time, but I didn't care for it personally. I was having to use like a cup at a time.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
In New Zealand when you go to some of the ethnic stores or dairies (grocery stores) in some parts of Auckland, it is difficult to find kava that is not labelled as "AAA" "BEST QUALITY"+++" "A STAR QUALITY" "SUPER STRONG, TRIPLE AAA WAKA", TOP AAA PREMIUM GRADE WAKA". Obviously most of these powders are cheap lawenas, often mixed with wood shavings, tudei or, more recently, flour. This doesn't mean that all "AAA" kavas are shit, but it is so common for total crap to be labelled as "AAA" these days, that it's a bit of a running joke among the kava drinkers. Recently I've seen a TV report on kava in which one Fijian vendor was asked about the quality of his kava. The reporter asked: "Is it AAA grade?" The vendor: "No, this one is AAAA grade". No joke.

Kava Time

Fiji
Kava Vendor
There is no grading of Fiji kava its just a marketing tactic..the only difference is in lewena and waka for Fiji kava...lewena is the basel stems of the kava plant which is less bitter in taste and effect and waka is the lateral roots which is stronger in effect and slightly bittee to taste. If you hear any Fiji kava containing the word "kasa" then it basically contains kava plant shavings and the parts which shouldn't be used and is harmful to your health.

Fiji waka is generally less bitter than vanuatu and tongan kava so dont mistake it for lewena though. It is more pleasant tasting than other kava's and has a calming effect on the drinker. I have tried vanuatu, tongan, solomon, papua new guinea and fiji kava. Out of them the most pleasant tasting is Fiji kava. I cannot say about Hawaian kava though as ive never tried it

Last edited:

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
"Fiji waka is generally weaker than vanuatu and tongan kava so dont mistake it for lewena though. "

I dont understand. Are you claiming that your Fijian waka is weaker than standard Tongan or Vanuatuan kava?

Kava Time

Fiji
Kava Vendor
"Fiji waka is generally weaker than vanuatu and tongan kava so dont mistake it for lewena though. "

I dont understand. Are you claiming that your Fijian waka is weaker than standard Tongan or Vanuatuan kava?
Sorry wrong use of words, by weaker i mean that it is not as bitter as Vanuatu and Tongan kava so it is much more pleasant tasting. This taste variation depends on how the kava is prepared. In South pacific, it is traditionally prepared with just water so in Fiji, Fijian kava is preferred over all other countries kava.

However, if milk, sugar and everything nice is added into kava to make into shakes or shots then the taste doesn't matter.

In terms of strength, Fiji waka is the strongest you will get out of Fiji and some are stronger depending on region, but this of course depends on the reliability of the vendor. Generally speaking, if you are currently buying kava at a wholesale price of less than US$25/ kilo with current exchange rate then you are either getting lewena with little bit of waka mixed in it or worse.