What's new

Best Kava Capsules?

KavaCat

Meow.
Hey everyone! I told my mom about kava, and she's interested, but she's leaning toward buying capsules. She has an impatient personality, and I think the capsules would be a good way to start her off, and get through the reverse tolerance period. After that, I could send her little samples of instant and regular grinds that I enjoy, and encourage her to drink different strains. I think this would help convert her to the safer, instant powder over time, but for the time being, it'd be good if we could just help make it a tolerable experience, during that first week or two, where it might not be doing anything. Knowing what I do about the questionable safety of capsules, can you guys recommend a capsule that is relatively safe, and provides a good anti-anxiety effect?

infraredz

BULA!
The vast majority of capsule companies use organic solvents for extraction which is not ideal, as they extract compounds in the root that water does not, and importantly, do not extract a very important compound in kava that helps protect the liver (glutathione). Also, there is the issue with these nutraceutical companies using poor quality control and possibly even using the aerial portions of the plant which are certainly toxic.

The problem is that the only capsule company I might recommend has recently been shown to possibly not be the best quality (GAIA). I would avoid those until further testing is done.

"Kalm with Kava" is probably a very good way to get her into it, since it tastes amazing, is potent, and is extracted in a safer manner.
I would also recommend "Paradise Kava's CO2 extract" as it is very potent and very highly rated, and also tastes very good.

KavaCat

Meow.
The vast majority of capsule companies use organic solvents for extraction which is not ideal, as they extract compounds in the root that water does not, and importantly, do not extract a very important compound in kava that helps protect the liver (glutathione). Also, there is the issue with these nutraceutical companies using poor quality control and possibly even using the aerial portions of the plant which are certainly toxic.

The problem is that the only capsule company I might recommend has recently been shown to possibly not be the best quality (GAIA). I would avoid those until further testing is done.

"Kalm with Kava" is probably a very good way to get her into it, since it tastes amazing, is potent, and is extracted in a safer manner.
I would also recommend "Paradise Kava's CO2 extract" as it is very potent and very highly rated, and also tastes very good.
Yeah, I am familiar with this information, which is why I am here. I was just reading about the Paradise CO2 extract, from another thread. It also seems a tad pricy, but I wonder if 2 grams isn't kind of a heavy dose. I have no idea what 300 mg means, since I just use 'bout 3-6 tablespoons of root powder in a nylon sock, and drink that over the course of one to two hours. They also seem to have not made any since 2013, and it's July, of 2014. Much of it is out of stock, with only chocolate-orange left. Would there not be freshness concerns?

What does Kalm taste like? She doesn't tend to like overly tart things. She won't even drink commercial lemonade mixes, because it's too sour for her. She makes a half-gallon of lemonade with like, ONE lemon. XD

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Gaia Herbs Phytocaps. With no reverse tolerance I'm finding they're as powerful as paradise extract, but you have to consume 3 or more.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Gaia Herbs Phytocaps. With no reverse tolerance I'm finding they're as powerful as paradise extract, but you have to consume 3 or more.
Maybe someday you could do a review for us in "Other Vendors"?? I think that would be neat.

infraredz

BULA!
Unfortunately, I did some testing showing that GAIA Herbs' Kava Extract might not be noble.

Yeah, I am familiar with this information, which is why I am here. I was just reading about the Paradise CO2 extract, from another thread. It also seems a tad pricy, but I wonder if 2 grams isn't kind of a heavy dose. I have no idea what 300 mg means, since I just use 'bout 3-6 tablespoons of root powder in a nylon sock, and drink that over the course of one to two hours. They also seem to have not made any since 2013, and it's July, of 2014. Much of it is out of stock, with only chocolate-orange left. Would there not be freshness concerns?
It is a tad bit pricey, but it is because he only gets a 50:1 yield on his extractions. So, for every 50 grams of root, he gets 1 gram of extract. Also, the supercritical extraction is not cheap, but it is very effective so you get a very potent product.

The product does keep (without refrigeration) very well, and after talking to Adil, he has told me that is one of the reasons for the various ingredients (or lack of) is because of how well they keep without refrigeration or anything like that. I'm sure he refrigerates his stock but you don't need to worry about it being spoiled or less potent, that much is for sure.

As far as potency/comparison to root, I find that around 2 teaspoons equals a mild-moderate batch of kava made from root.

What does Kalm taste like? She doesn't tend to like overly tart things. She won't even drink commercial lemonade mixes, because it's too sour for her. She makes a half-gallon of lemonade with like, ONE lemon. XD
It's not overly tart at all in my experience. Definitely not close to lemonade, but it is sweet.

If it was me, I would honestly suggest a mixture of some PK's extract and some Kalm with Kava. Also, a great thing about Kalm is, you can add instant to it to make it even more potent and yet the taste is still awesome (up to a point, of course)

Last edited:
D

Deleted User01

Yeah man, I recently got rid of some Gaia capsules. Good thing huh?

Why not just get some instant (Nene is almost white) and make her an Ice Cold Pina Kolada? That's gotta be something she can relate too. Or a Strawberry Daiquiri. I got some Strawberry Concentrate the other day and I'll bet it makes a mean Kava Kocktail. I'm also hoping that it will keep its color when you put Kava in there. OK, make your Mom a dark colored drink so she doesn't see the Kava (strawberry, grape, chocolate). But stick around to make sure there are no adverse reactions. I have my spies going over to Kalm to steal their recipe.

KavaCat

Meow.
Yeah man, I recently got rid of some Gaia capsules. Good thing huh?

Why not just get some instant (Nene is almost white) and make her an Ice Cold Pina Kolada? That's gotta be something she can relate too. Or a Strawberry Daiquiri. I got some Strawberry Concentrate the other day and I'll bet it makes a mean Kava Kocktail. I'm also hoping that it will keep its color when you put Kava in there. OK, make your Mom a dark colored drink so she doesn't see the Kava (strawberry, grape, chocolate). But stick around to make sure there are no adverse reactions. I have my spies going over to Kalm to steal their recipe.
Well, I can't really make her anything, or I'd have brought over several batches of different kinds long before now. I moved away from home, specifically because of the kind of drama that's stressing her out. (Namely that my sister is pregnant for the second time, from some guy she's dated for less than six months, and is moving in with him, and my dad is going bats*** berserk. 9_9 My sister is 26, so that's her prerogative, but she makes some pretty poor choices in general, and my dad is Catholic, so you can see the cause for arguments.)

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Unfortunately, I did some testing showing that GAIA Herbs' Kava Extract might not be noble.

It is a tad bit pricey, but it is because he only gets a 50:1 yield on his extractions. So, for every 50 grams of root, he gets 1 gram of extract. Also, the supercritical extraction is not cheap, but it is very effective so you get a very potent product.

The product does keep (without refrigeration) very well, and after talking to Adil, he has told me that is one of the reasons for the various ingredients (or lack of) is because of how well they keep without refrigeration or anything like that. I'm sure he refrigerates his stock but you don't need to worry about it being spoiled or less potent, that much is for sure.

As far as potency/comparison to root, I find that around 2 teaspoons equals a mild-moderate batch of kava made from root.

It's not overly tart at all in my experience. Definitely not close to lemonade, but it is sweet.

If it was me, I would honestly suggest a mixture of some PK's extract and some Kalm with Kava. Also, a great thing about Kalm is, you can add instant to it to make it even more potent and yet the taste is still awesome (up to a point, of course)
Well crap. I hate to hear that. I'll definitely take you at your word, that's for sure. Knew it would be moderately too good to be true. Such is life.

If it ain't yellow, it ain't mellow.

D

Deleted User01

Having been brought up in the Catholic religion as a child, I can honestly say, I feel your pain. Give your mother our love and give your dad some time. These things are very, very difficult. The fact that they will be living together is very encouraging. Let's hope it all works out.

KavaCat

Meow.
Having been brought up in the Catholic religion as a child, I can honestly say, I feel your pain. Give your mother our love and give your dad some time. These things are very, very difficult. The fact that they will be living together is very encouraging. Let's hope it all works out.
Okay, thanks for the well wishes! It's not just the religious thing. My sister can't hold a relationship down for more than a year. I'm not worried so much for her, as I am for her toddler, for whom it must be pretty confusing. I'd probably yell at her some too, if I still had to deal with all that crap. For my niece's sake, not for ethical reasons. It can't be good for a kid to have a new dad every year.

BULABUCK

ROOTLYFE.
Sorry bout your troubles , but z eclectic sent samples to me when i ordered there waka i never order from a website that sells the other k -- stuff .. But heard there waka was good there kavalactone paste kaps and kava veggi caps are awsome . And there cheap hope this helps .. Peace

violet

Do all things with love
Would capping up some high-quality micronized/instant powder be out of the question?

KavaCat

Meow.
Would capping up some high-quality micronized/instant powder be out of the question?
I just came here to say I thought about that, myself! I wonder why no one sells instant powder in a capsule. Maybe it clumps up and takes too long to dissolve in the stomach? Has anyone tried it?

Actually, can anyone recommend a good instant, for a melomelo lover? It's my favorite, so far, but I haven't seen instant melomelo. I could buy some caps and try it myself. I got burned on my last instant powder. It was completely worthless and inert.

Thanks for the sympathy, everyone. I'm not particularly worried about any of it, but it's making my mom a basket case. My mom loves my sister, my sister loves my dad, so if any one of them is particularly upset with the other, everyone's upset! LOL.

Last edited:

KavaCat

Meow.
Quote removed due to privacy request
True. I wouldn't buy them myself, but I did relay to her that if she was absolutely set on capsules, and not willing to at least try to take the grosser stuff or an extract, these were probably the best ones. I'm less worried about short term, low-dose consumption of tudei, than I am about her buying a cheap, shitty capsule extracted with something nasty, and which, on top of that, draws the nasty out of the kava plant, too.

MizMizuki

Kava Curious
Hi. I have been a member for a while, but more of reader than poster. But thought my quick and easy go to cap method might help your friend out. Don't get me wrong, I really do prefer the traditional grog method, but probably use this capsule method listed below maybe once or twice a month with great results ...

For those interested in capping... This makes a great on the go experience for those that don't have the patience to make grog or want something quick & easy for later.

For me, the biggest hindrance in making caps from powdered root the fact that the kavalactones aren't 'kneaded' out. Sure you can rely on your digestive tract to extract them via TnW. But when combined with a fatty substance that aids in digestion and meets up with the kava at the moment the caps dissolve... MAGIC.

What you need is

Capsule Machine and 00 caps

Noble Kava Kava Root Powder*

Black Seed Oil*

★ Small Eyedropper (comes with one the medium sizes of Blackseed Oil)

* These links above are just to the vendor I personally use for this method, which is not currently on the approved list here. I'm sure one of the approved vendor's products would work just as well.

Steps ↓

❶ Place the caps in machine (follow directions that come with the machine).

❷ Using a small eyedropper, place one drop of the Blackseed Oil in the small caps. Then place two drops in the larger caps.

❸ Pack the Kava in the caps over top of the oil on both sides. On the smaller side, make sure to only pack enough (about half way) to solidify the liquid from the oil. Pack the larger side fully (may require pressing and adding more Kava 4-5x.

❹ Carefully place the capsules together using the machine.
. ↳ The finished product should look like the pic below.

❺ Take the amount of capsules that weigh out to your desired strength. I would recommend, 8-12 if you're new to kava.

❻ Place the leftovers (or all if you aren't taking now) in a small sandwich bag as air tight as possible. Refrigerate till ready to use. This keeps the kava fresh and also prevents the blackseed oil from dissolving the capsules. Make sure to burn any leftovers within 48 hours (I wouldn't know how sanitary it would be to take after that).

The onset of the effects usually takes about 15-20mins till onset. Once it does, it comes pretty strong. Very relaxing and euphoric. I highly recommend it, just not that often bc of the digestive issues it can cause if done in excess. You will notice however, that the black seed oil will definitely aid with the digestion process. Thus, giving you far less GI issues the following day compared to without.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: