What's new

Best kava varieties of Fiji?

LyndaKaye

Kava Curious
I’m looking for in depth reviews on Fijian Kava varieties. Any help appreciated. Lists that I can research or reviews on kava that the members have tried would be awesome!

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I’m looking for in depth reviews on Fijian Kava varieties. Any help appreciated. Lists that I can research or reviews on kava that the members have tried would be awesome!
I like heavy kavas so I would say look into Koro Island or Kadavu. If you prefer headier or more balanced kavas then try Savusavu or Taveuni. This is a generalisation but these islands tend to produce that kind of kava. For the most part you won't get the name of the strain, just the island it comes from even though there are different strains grown on the same island. Most of the people growing kava in Fiji these days have no idea what they are growing, it's just kava, or yaqona, to them and they are just interested in the money. Some of it will be good kava harvested at the right time, dried and ground properly and then vacuum packed to ensure freshness and the rest won't be. The trick is to find the former.

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
It is worth noting that Yonolulu is also known as Honolulu and V. Lebot comments it is an introduced cultivar not of Fijian origin. The picture and description sounds remarkably like Hawaiian Papa Kea. If so, that is an extremely good drinking kava/ 'awa.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Member reviews;

You get the idea, scroll down through each vendor, from the main page and click on the product reviews folder for each vendor for member reviews.