What's new

Kava Fact of the Day Bioavailability of kavalactones

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Bioavailability is a measure of how easily a substance can be absorbed by the body. In pharmacology, for example, it refers to how quickly a drug enters the circulatory system and reaches the desired area, so that it can take effect [1]. In this portion of this study 200mg of synthetic kavain was given orally and peak concentration levels were reached indicating a 50% absorption and bioavailability. When the complete extract, or one containing the full standard kavalactone profile was used, bioavailability of single kavalactones increased 200% for kavain and 2000% for yangonin[2]. What this seems to indicate is that kavalactones themselves react in a way with each other that causes them to become bioavailable at differing rates. This lends evidence to the thought that kavalactones act in a synergistic manner indicating an “entourage” effect. Considering there are quite a few more kavalactones than the standard six, it also lends evidence to the thought that there may be something missing in standard extracts causing the difference in perceived effects between extracts and traditional prep.

[1] What is Bioavailability & why is it important? (n.d.). Retrieved December 16, 2020, from https://futureyouhealth.com/about-bioavailability

[2] Anke J, Ramzan I. Pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic drug interactions with Kava (Piper methysticum Forst. f.). J Ethnopharmacol. 2004 Aug;93(2-3):153-60. doi: 10.1016/j.jep.2004.04.009. PMID: 15234747. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/15234747/

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
It is also worth considering that other substances in traditional prep. aid in bioavailability overall. Even the small amounts of amino acids.
We also know that kava beverage can be probiotic** enough to alter our microbiome*
*the microorganisms in a particular environment (including the body or a part of the body).
"we depend on a vast army of microbes to stay alive: a microbiome that protects us against germs, breaks down food to release energy, and produces vitamins"
** Probiotic foods contain beneficial live microbiota that may further alter one's microbiome

fueledbykava

Kava enthusiast
On this topic, I thought I'd share some anecdotal observations that I've made throughout my Kava preparation/drinking endeavors for the past couple of months. I've tried a few different prep methods, some with various degrees of added fats/lipids to the prep water such as that from almond milk and soy lecithin in varying proportions, and I've found that this tends to extract too much of whatever kavalactone(s) that can upset my stomach and make me a bit queasy.

However, if I prepare the kava normally and drink it alongside a fatty drink like chocolate almond milk or something, it seems to enhance the transport/bioavailability of the kavalactones extracted via the normal prep method which I tolerate just fine, and even moreso in those cases. :) The inspiration came from learning about how lecithin is used as an emulsifier of fats and can be used to increase bioavailability of other substances to the body as well. I haven't gotten too crafty with lecithin+soy lecithin drink alongside a normal/water-extracted kava session, but I would guess that its emulsification properties would aid in bioavailability nonetheless with the presence of the water and the fats. Certainly opens up the door for some interesting drink formulations and studying their effects on bioavailability!

edit: woops, meant to say "I haven't gotten too crafty with almond milk drink+soy lecithin alongside a normal/water-extracted kava session"

Last edited: