What's new

Bitten by a kava monster last night

PapaMoi

Kava Enthusiast
image.jpeg
Oh no!........
I seem to have been bitten by the dreaded dermothapy monster!

My skin is starting to slowly dry out and look like 'old man hands'.
Supposedly this was a sort of status symbol and thought to be attractive in the old Oceanic kava cultures.

Anyone ever shaken hands with sandpaper?

:meh::nailbiting::barefoot:::shell::::shell::::shell::

I say all this as I reach for another shell, btw.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Definitely been there. O'keefe's working hands really works magic on hands during dermo.

Sam Handwich

Kava Enthusiast
I've not had this happen to me from kava (yet) but I'd did recently (and stupidly) work with wet concrete without gloves and my hand ended up looking exactly like this the next day...odd that kava would do the same thing.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
That is exactly how my hands look from the dreaded dermo! Comes and goes, but when it gets real bad a ton of coco butter lotion keeps it manageable.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I've not had this happen to me from kava (yet) but I'd did recently (and stupidly) work with wet concrete without gloves and my hand ended up looking exactly like this the next day...odd that kava would do the same thing.
I made the same mistake in college while working on project involving cement. The lye in the cement can be enough to cause caustic burns. Luckily my hands just looked like I got a bad sunburn with sloughing off skin for about a week.

Go Krunk Yourself

Kava Enthusiast
OHHHHH is that how DErmo looks? I'm dying laughing cause I thought I avoided it for ever but my hands are always like that. Maybe its Kava or its just my dry terrible skin.. hmm..

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Ive heard that cement can be found in kava.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
View attachment 7695 Oh no!........
I seem to have been bitten by the dreaded dermothapy monster!

My skin is starting to slowly dry out and look like 'old man hands'.
Supposedly this was a sort of status symbol and thought to be attractive in the old Oceanic kava cultures.

Anyone ever shaken hands with sandpaper?

:meh::nailbiting::barefoot:::shell::::shell::::shell::

I say all this as I reach for another shell, btw.
had that on the soles of my feet before. You could sit there and carve out chunks of my heel with a well-honed Swiss Army knife but my wife says that's annoying while she's trying to watch netflix so I should go outside.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Definitely been there. O'keefe's working hands really works magic on hands during dermo.
This stuff is also great around the neck, were a shirt collar might rub, I've had dermo from head to toe, it's not fun.