What's new

Black "peppery" bits with Aluball prep?

TrevC

Kava Enthusiast
Hey guys! I've posted before about how I've been pleasantly surprised with Aluball prep vs. traditional.
I get something from the Kava both ways, but honestly there's a more heady front-end to the experience almost EVERY time I use Aluball prep.
No telling how many Aluballs I've been through (and I consider myself careful with them). But I jut got in two new ones and on the first go, I noticed some small black particles, in the mix. Normally this is among what I'd see in the strainer bag.

So my assumption is that the Aluball mesh is simply not as fine as this strainer bag I'm used to using. And (perhaps?) therefore I'm ingesting more material, resulting in a more pronounced effect.

Which brings me to my big question: How bad for me is this?
I've read it can cause "GI issues". If that simply means discomfort, I'll easily trade that for the anxiety relief I get from Kava.
But if it can lead to long-term damage, I'd like to know that as well.

Oh, and I've accepted some degree of dermo. Thankfully, it's not on my face (which got dry there for a while when I was only using micro).
It's just ashy hands, at this point. Coconut oil has helped, it seems!

TrevC

Kava Enthusiast
Oh man, I would be delighted to know of those ways to make Aluballs last longer! Maybe they'll chime in, because this would be valuable (money-saving) info!
Thank you, sir!

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Oh man, I would be delighted to know of those ways to make Aluballs last longer! Maybe they'll chime in, because this would be valuable (money-saving) info!
Thank you, sir!
The aluballs are supposed to be around 85 microns I think but I always find I get quite a bit more sediment than with a 75 micron strainer. Either way I still find it a nice, smooth, effective drink.

I've been triple aluballing for a few years now (there used to be a youtube video about it all but I had to hide those for a good reason) and I've only had about 2 or 3 balls actually break over the years. I do plenty of shaking with multiple balls in the shaker so I don't know what everyone else is doing that I'm not?

kavamehameha

Magnum's 'awa drinking bird
I only had 2 balls break, so in my opinion they are pretty durable if handled properly.

Last edited:

TrevC

Kava Enthusiast
The aluballs are supposed to be around 85 microns I think but I always find I get quite a bit more sediment than with a 75 micron strainer. Either way I still find it a nice, smooth, effective drink.

I've been triple aluballing for a few years now (there used to be a youtube video about it all but I had to hide those for a good reason) and I've only had about 2 or 3 balls actually break over the years. I do plenty of shaking with multiple balls in the shaker so I don't know what everyone else is doing that I'm not?
I would imagine that three Aluballs means less travel and impact against the side of the shaker bottle.

Have never had one break, but have managed to get a tiny knick in the mesh somehow.