What's new

Kava Preparation Blender specifications

kavamehameha

Magnum's 'awa drinking bird
Hey my friends,

I'm looking for a blender for kava preparation. I know some of you regularly prep using the blender method. What should I look for in a blender? What specifications should it have to be useful for this purpose (e.g. how much Watt, volume)?

Thanks! ::happyshell::

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Hey my friends,

I'm looking for a blender for kava preparation. I know some of you regularly prep using the blender method. What should I look for in a blender? What specifications should it have to be useful for this purpose (e.g. how much Watt, volume)?

I don't think it makes that much difference. I use a Phillips with something like a 2 litre capacity. Any jug type blender should probably do the job.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I use a regular blender, I paid $20 for mine. On the highend, you could invest on a Ninja or a Vitamix but I don't think they are worth investing on, for kava.
Agree. It's more like "how expensive of a blender do you mind ruining?"

Kava starch is almost concrete. It takes a good bit to get that yellowing out of the plastics and blades. Not impossible, but you're likely to get pretty frustrated before it all comes out.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin

Kava starch is almost concrete. It takes a good bit to get that yellowing out of the plastics and blades. Not impossible, but you're likely to get pretty frustrated before it all comes out.
My $20 blender is made out of glass, so no need to worry about the build up. But I totally agree in expecting to ruin it, one of the blades on mine bent upwards, on a frozen kava journey. I bent it back and repeated the first step. So it's bent up. Works fine, I let it soak a little before blending. (I only blend frozen makas)

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
It might be worth buying one slightly better than the cheapest in the shop. My old panasonic finally died last week so i went out for a new one. I only needed it to last till christmas, as i am working away from home and have several back at my permanent house, so bought the cheapest at $15.
One minute into a full jug blend on high speed the lid popped off and redecorated the apartment.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
It might be worth buying one slightly better than the cheapest in the shop. My old panasonic finally died last week so i went out for a new one. I only needed it to last till christmas, as i am working away from home and have several back at my permanent house, so bought the cheapest at $15.
One minute into a full jug blend on high speed the lid popped off and redecorated the apartment.

Where were you when the lid came off? I always stand with my hand on the top!

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
Where were you when the lid came off? I always stand with my hand on the top!
I wish I'd done that - it would have saved an hour cleaning walls!
My last blender had a firm top that could be left unsupervised, but this new cheapy has a top made of softer plastic -definitely needs holding down.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Hey my friends,

Probably doesn't matter too much - your average blender will do just fine. I would highly recommend getting one with a glass top. It will be much easier to clean. The yellow sticky residue clings to plastic like white on rice. Nearly impossible to clean off even with alcohol. Just keep sharpen up your blades every now and then with a small stone and you should be good.

kavamehameha

Magnum's 'awa drinking bird
Thanks for all of your answers! Ok, then I'll look for a blender with glass top. What should be the minimum power to be effective and to avoid overheating? 800 W?

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
I've had better results with blenders in the 1000W range compared to the cheaper blenders. The more contact with the blades the better it'll extract. You can probably get by with a lower speed model if you're just going to use it for used makas though.

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
I've been lucky with some very old Ninjas that, thanks to being the older model, they were not too expensive. The blades broke on the first one. Got a whole replacement for $30 and now I have 2 bases and a spare non-blending, storage-only pitcher.

Oddly, one is rated at 900W and the other says 1000W despite them being the exact same model number. Weird.

BulamamatoNCIRVCKKPC

Learn to love me, assemble the ways...
I use a regular blender, I paid $20 for mine. On the highend, you could invest on a Ninja or a Vitamix but I don't think they are worth investing on, for kava.
I use my Ninja but I use it several times a day for years. I make smoothies and shakes. So, it works perfectly for kava as well. I got mine at Walmart and remember it being very reasonably priced, even for smoothies and in place of a full on messy blender. Just my experience but it's a time saver for a daily kava drinker like me, who also drinks probiotic smoothies daily too! ;)

LoidLiu

I'm also a Ninja user (I have this model) and yep no complaints, easy to use, not too big and nice design. In my opinion it's the best choice.

Last edited:

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast

Old post now, but actually, keeping our blender and blades totally clean has been a breeze. I just need to avoid being completely lazy and actually USE the scourer on all blade surfaces lol, not just dip it in the soapy bowl.

When you said about ruining the blender, I assumed you were going to refer to burning out the motor.

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
I use my Ninja but I use it several times a day for years. I make smoothies and shakes. So, it works perfectly for kava as well. I got mine at Walmart and remember it being very reasonably priced, even for smoothies and in place of a full on messy blender. Just my experience but it's a time saver for a daily kava drinker like me, who also drinks probiotic smoothies daily too! ;)
I discovered, that by using a nutribullet, with either raw carrots or courgettes, about 180 grams, 25 grams organic wheat bran, which is an excellent prebiotic, plus essentially some raw sauerkraut, plus water of course....if left to sit in a glasd or jug in a warm place, it rapidly ferments like kefir. The blended wheat bran feeds the sauerkraut bacteria, it keeps rising up to the top, with a gap of air at the bottom of the vessel, you need to keep stirring it back in or it keeps rising out of the glass.

It goes all bubbly and fizzy like kefir, or Kombucha, like a super power probiotic, prebiotic concoction. Im sure with an array of amino acids and enzymes cteated as with kombucha for example.

It makes a really sharp, sour, refreshing tangy drink, with majorly enhanced probiotic levels as a result of the prebiotic wheat bran.