What's new

Health Monitoring Blood work / liver panel / lab results

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
· AST: 17 (In Range: 10-40 U/L)
· ALP: 79 (In Range: 40-115 U/L)
· Bilirubin: 0.7 (In Range: 0.2-1.2 mg/dL)
· Cholesterol: 210 (In Range: <200 mg/dL)

***​

· AST 20 (In Range: 10-40)
· ALP 64 (In Range: 40-115)
· Bilirubin: 0.6 (In Range: 0.2-1.2)
· Cholesterol: 203 (In Range: 125-200)
**Link to original 2015 result thread **
Additional notes: 2018 & 2015 results were also "in range" for kidney panel. 2018 results where taken during a period of extreme anxiety, depression & derealization, which forced me to consume Xanax, daily, as well as my usual evening kava, I also began drinking kava in the middle of the night for a while, occasionally during the day too, as well as glasses of wine when needed. I only abstained from kava for 1 day prior to the test, but I did take 1.5mg of Ativan the night before. As you can see, at the time of the test, the combination of daily benzodiazepine + kava + occasional alcohol had no negative impact on my results, specifically the liver.

At the time of my 2015 results, I had been drinking kava daily for about 2 years. During that period, much of the kava was adulterated with tudei kava and I generally drink large doses(*Normal doses by Vanuatu standards*) of heavy or balanced kavas. I would occasionally drink alcohol when visiting friends. I abstained from kava for 3 days before my 2015 test. All results were perfectly in range but cholesterol, which was slightly out of range.

Now, 5 or 6 years into drinking kava almost daily, and drinking it occasionally for the 10 years prior to that, my labs are still nearly perfect. There is almost no significant change in results from 2015 to 2018.

**Probably unrelated or erroneous result: High Testosterone: 1065 (In range=250-827 ng/dL)
I specifically asked for a testosterone test because I had symptoms of a testosterone deficiency and had read that low testosterone can make people susceptible to fatigue/depression/anxiety/brain fog. I was expecting to see a low result here, not a high one. 1,065 ng/dL would be on the high end for an 18 year old...I'm nearing 38, so the result is odd. I exhibit no signs of High T behavior either, quite the opposite actually. So, perhaps I'm "testosterone resistant", my body does seem to operate more resistant to many chemicals...or maybe the testosterone level itself is less important than it's actual ratio compared to other related hormones? Or it was an error, anyway, I only bring it up here because @Edward and some others had been curious about testosterone in kava drinkers. I doubt my result has anything to do with kava and I think most people would say kava would either lower testosterone or have no effect on it. We don't really know, but I thought I'd share the result anyway.

Last edited:

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur

***​

Additional notes: 2018 & 2015 results were also "in range" for kidney panel. 2018 results where taken during a period of extreme anxiety, depression & derealization, which forced me to consume Xanax, daily, as well as my usual evening kava, I also began drinking kava in the middle of the night for a while, occasionally during the day too, as well as glasses of wine when needed. I only abstained from kava for 1 day prior to the test, but I did take 1.5mg of Ativan the night before. As you can see, at the time of the test, the combination of daily benzodiazepine + kava + occasional alcohol had no negative impact on my results, specifically the liver.

At the time of my 2015 results, I had been drinking kava daily for about 2 years. During that period, much of the kava was adulterated with tudei kava and I generally drink large doses(*Normal doses by Vanuatu standards*) of heavy or balanced kavas. I would occasionally drink alcohol when visiting friends. I abstained from kava for 3 days before my 2015 test. All results were perfectly in range but cholesterol, which was slightly out of range.

Now, 5 or 6 years into drinking kava almost daily, and drinking it occasionally for the 10 years prior to that, my labs are still nearly perfect. There is almost no significant change in results from 2015 to 2018.

**Probably unrelated or erroneous result: High Testosterone: 1065 (In range=250-827 ng/dL)
I specifically asked for a testosterone test because I had symptoms of a testosterone deficiency and had read that low testosterone can make people susceptible to fatigue/depression/anxiety/brain fog. I was expecting to see a low result here, not a high one. 1,065 ng/dL would be on the high end for an 18 year old...I'm nearing 38, so the result is odd. I exhibit no signs of High T behavior either, quite the opposite actually. So, perhaps I'm "testosterone resistant", my body does seem to operate more resistant to many chemicals...or maybe the testosterone level itself is less important than it's actual ratio compared to other related hormones? Or it was an error, anyway, I only bring it up here because @Edward and some others had been curious about testosterone in kava drinkers. I doubt my result has anything to do with kava and I think most people would say kava would either lower testosterone or have no effect on it. We don't really know, but I thought I'd share the result anyway.
If it can't harm you at the levels you drink, then we're all off the hook! Bula! Excellent numbers. (actually, we both drink about 12 TBS a day, it just seems different)

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor

***​

I don't think my symptoms were to do with testosterone and I'm not sure that kava has much of an effect on t levels except what I did find was affecting me was a possible lowering of zinc and b vitamins which could well be caused by kava as they are both water soluble and so flushed out by my increased water intake when drinking kava daily.

sɥɐʞɐs

Review Maestro
Thank you so much for posting your results. Given the range of years and your consistent use of kava, I have to say the liver harm rumor looks like it's being confirmed.....as a rumor.
Indeed, we continue to prove it here, that kava does not cause harm to your liver. And my results are a particularly good indicator, considering I drink Vanuatu-esque dosages, with Vanutatu-esque frequency and have been for many years. On top of that, my consumption of high DHM kava, tudei adulterated kava and other questionable unknown kavas has had no effect on the outcome of my results. (No, I'm not claiming that this proves with certainty this is always true of those particular kavas) Any person who acquires elevated liver enzymes or liver damage after a period of drinking kava is a rare exception and the cause is more than likely related to a personal genetic issue and/or a combination of kava+some other chemical/medication.
Drink Up. ::KavaChug::
::vflag::

Last edited:
If it can't harm you at the levels you drink, then we're all off the hook! Bula! Excellent numbers. (actually, we both drink about 12 TBS a day, it just seems different)
12 TBS a day? You guys are thunder beasts. I'm at 2 TBS a day and felt like I was pushing it to the limit. I think I"m going to go for 12 tomorrow just to see what it's like. :)

PepperyPyrone

I'll have the pyrones with some pepper, please.

***​

Thank you for sharing. Again another great result from someone who can put down some kava. I am confident that it does not affect your liver, and if you were an alcohol drinker prior to drinking kava, your LFT can actually decrease due to the lack of alcohol. And your cholesterol was good too. What was your LDL? I think the cholesterol thing is dependent on diet, exercise, and also genetics and not kava. I have high cholesterol in my family and during the time of my recent testing, my higher LDL could have been because I was not exercising as much. I told my doctor that I was going to start testing in the summer when I was most active. Regardless, I think the high cholesterol thing is just an assortment (median) of people with naturally high cholesterol. Call it coincidence or whatever, but I just don't think 4-5 tbs of kava a night is going to cause that. Much less, 12 tbs. I could be wrong.

Westernized medicine is a witch hunt for anything not approved by the FDA.

Mocum99

Wow I'm really glad to hear there are other 12 tbs per day drinkers & you're not having any side effects on organ function. I'm an alcoholic / addict (now sober & using kava) so I assumed I was like the heaviest user on the planet! Haha!

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Wow I'm really glad to hear there are other 12 tbs per day drinkers & you're not having any side effects on organ function. I'm an alcoholic / addict (now sober & using kava) so I assumed I was like the heaviest user on the planet! Haha!
Shakas and I are two sides of the same coin. Our perceptions of kava are almost identical. I don't even bother reviewing stuff he reviews because I would just say the exact same thing he says. But our styles are different. He likes a big kick, I like lots of little ones. We both go from A to B but different routes.

Now, for me, personally, I think that 12 TBS is pretty much the upper daily limit and most folks agree. If I needed more from my kava experience, I would drink stronger kava rather than more kava. As it is I drink about 3 - 4L of grog a day, almost never more than 4.250L But I could just drink less and make it stronger.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I did a comprehensive metabolic test this past Jan.11th. Here are the results. To the point of testosterone that some have mentioned, I take a supplemental amount per my Endocrinologist. The only way it affects the metabolic results is in the cholesterol levels, it is common for it to be slightly elevated.

GLUCOSE 99 mg/dL 65 - 99 mg/dL
UREA NITROGEN 17 mg/dL 6 - 24 mg/dL
CREATININE 0.75 mg/dL 0.76 - 1.27 mg/dL
BUN/CREAT 23 9 - 20
NA 145 mmol/L 134 - 144 mmol/L
POTASSIUM-SERUM 4.5 mmol/L 3.5 - 5.2 mmol/L
CL 104 mmol/L 96 - 106 mmol/L
CARBON DIOXIDE, TOTAL 22 mmol/L 18 - 29 mmol/L
CALCIUM 10.0 mg/dL 8.7 - 10.2 mg/dL
PROTEIN TOTAL-BLD 7.7 g/dL 6.0 - 8.5 g/dL
ALBUMIN, BLD 4.9 g/dL 3.5 - 5.5 g/dL
GLOBULIN 2.8 g/dL 1.5 - 4.5 g/dL
A/G RATIO 1.8 1.2 - 2.2
BILIRUBIN TOTAL 0.3 mg/dL 0.0 - 1.2 mg/dL
ALKALINE PHOSPHATASE 62 IU/L 39 - 117 IU/L
AST (SGOT) 20 IU/L 0 - 40 IU/L
ALT(SGPT) 25 IU/L 0 - 44 IU/L

CHOLESTEROL 252 mg/dL 100 - 199 mg/dL
TRIGLYCERIDES 205 mg/dL 0 - 149 mg/dL
HDL CHOLESTEROL 41 mg/dL >39 mg/dL
VLDL CHOLESTEROL CAL 41 mg/dL 5 - 40 mg/dL
LDL CHOLESTEROL 170 mg/dL 0 - 99 mg/dL

Mocum99

Shakas and I are two sides of the same coin. Our perceptions of kava are almost identical. I don't even bother reviewing stuff he reviews because I would just say the exact same thing he says. But our styles are different. He likes a big kick, I like lots of little ones. We both go from A to B but different routes.

Now, for me, personally, I think that 12 TBS is pretty much the upper daily limit and most folks agree. If I needed more from my kava experience, I would drink stronger kava rather than more kava. As it is I drink about 3 - 4L of grog a day, almost never more than 4.250L But I could just drink less and make it stronger.
I like lots of little kicks too. It's weird because I've been using kava for a few months but just this week it seems to hit me harder. Guess it's RT. Does that continue to build as time goes on? I mean months & years.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I like lots of little kicks too. It's weird because I've been using kava for a few months but just this week it seems to hit me harder. Guess it's RT. Does that continue to build as time goes on? I mean months & years.
It can, yes. What I found is not that I drink a lot of kava because I need to. Rather, over time I got better and better at drinking kava, so I can drink a lot, basically permakrunk, all day every day, although I haven’t gotten actually krunk since 1 july last year. Haven’t needed to. But I drink kava all day every day.

muddywaters

Kava Enthusiast
I'm not a daily drinker cause I feel I would get too lazy (who knows as I get more used to it that could change) but now weekly and it I noticed it builds for me too, I always subtly feel a mental base now even if a couple days past and I had none. It's sort of like when I first became a big user of rosemary on a lot of food I eat and because of it's calming ability that I actually think is similar and can work with kava because of a similar method of action if not mistaken and I felt like I was looking at the world through a new pair of glasses (but now it's been so long that I don't remember the feeling before). I don't know how to describe it well but I have a more colorful mind now that puts me at ease even when life is the most gray and ugly living far away from any life centered in a more tropical, easy going place. No health issues from it. Just mildly annoying gas or fullness feeling from a good drink that hangs around but I've always had a digestive system vulnerable to over bloating and eat a lot of vegetables anyways so I deal with it. I'm not sure if that's something my body will eventually adapt to accordingly or if I'm just stuck with it.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity

***​

my memory is foggy, but awhile back didnt you say you were working through some liver or kidney issues?

sɥɐʞɐs

Review Maestro
my memory is foggy, but awhile back didnt you say you were working through some liver or kidney issues?
No, not me, I have had occasional kava-induced hematuria, which made me suspect there could be some kidney stress. But all my tests are always perfect, so all is good apparently.