What's new

Powdered Kava Borogoru Traditional Grind Single Cultivar Kava

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor

Borogoru
One of the most popular Vanuatu kavas with a balanced-heavy character.

It’s a mellow and relaxing kava that is known to act relatively slowly and deeply. The cerebral effect is likely to be more gradual, complex and prolonged than it might be the case with headier varieties. Due to its heavier profile, it’s best enjoyed in the evening or late in the afternoon. It is particularly popular among those needing a night-time kava or those who may need a pleasant, muscle-melting body refreshment after strenuous physical effort.

Borogoru has a peppery/herbal scent with a hint of sweetness and cream to it. It has slightly more peppery, spicy flavour accompanied by a a mixture of fresh, grassy notes mixed with hints of bitter chocolate.

In order to present this single cultivar in its full glory, we are offering it at the natural ratio of around 70-80% stump to 30-20% lateral roots. This is how nature made it and we think she did a pretty good job.

Average chemotype: 243516

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
I just opened this one today, it's been in my wardrobe for months.

I used a blender, but I've been having real difficulty, after blending, actually straining the liquid out of the kava, and just through the KS strainer bag I have.

I don't know if it's too gummy from lecithin powder, which is sticky. But it's really hard work, takes ages and so much concentration.

Today I decided to use a nut milk bag we have. I don't know the micron, but it's fully seethrough.

So the straining was an effortless sinch. 50 grams in 1 litre.

I split it, took half upstairs in an alubottle.

I noticed a large amount of settled particles. I do with all of Henry's kavas, but this Borogoru batch had maybe a 6th volume settled on the bottom.

I had two small, strong glasses. About 13 grams worth. It was surprisingly palatable.

However....my god, it got me so much, that little bit. Like, double vision, write off.

I have drunk tons of kava the past 3 days. I don't know if it's just this Borogoru, or if using the transparent nut milk bag didn't filter enough.

It's not gritty, but so much settled on the bottom, and it completely whacked me unlike usual.

The feeling of the kava is very nice. I just didn't expect such a strong effect, Im convinced it's the nut milk bag. It's the only thing that adds up right now.

As long as it's just a case of higher potency, and not letting undesirables pass through, I will just need to drink much less.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I just opened this one today, it's been in my wardrobe for months.

I used a blender, but I've been having real difficulty, after blending, actually straining the liquid out of the kava, and just through the KS strainer bag I have.

I don't know if it's too gummy from lecithin powder, which is sticky. But it's really hard work, takes ages and so much concentration.

Today I decided to use a nut milk bag we have. I don't know the micron, but it's fully seethrough.

So the straining was an effortless sinch. 50 grams in 1 litre.

I split it, took half upstairs in an alubottle.

I noticed a large amount of settled particles. I do with all of Henry's kavas, but this Borogoru batch had maybe a 6th volume settled on the bottom.

I had two small, strong glasses. About 13 grams worth. It was surprisingly palatable.

However....my god, it got me so much, that little bit. Like, double vision, write off.

I have drunk tons of kava the past 3 days. I don't know if it's just this Borogoru, or if using the transparent nut milk bag didn't filter enough.

It's not gritty, but so much settled on the bottom, and it completely whacked me unlike usual.

The feeling of the kava is very nice. I just didn't expect such a strong effect, Im convinced it's the nut milk bag. It's the only thing that adds up right now.

As long as it's just a case of higher potency, and not letting undesirables pass through, I will just need to drink much less.
This is definitely one of my favorite kavas on the market, but it can be TOO strong. Henry's grind tends to run a good bit finer than most vendors do, and just as you've discovered, it can pass through strainers that have larger sized pores. My fijian cloth strainer seems to keep most of the sediment from passing through.

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
This is definitely one of my favorite kavas on the market, but it can be TOO strong. Henry's grind tends to run a good bit finer than most vendors do, and just as you've discovered, it can pass through strainers that have larger sized pores. My fijian cloth strainer seems to keep most of the sediment from passing through.
Hi, thanks for answering. Honestly, I have never gone from zero to 60 so instamtly with kava.

I only took two sherry glasses before a shower. A typical little but ample dose.

When I got out the shower, I felt remarkably blissfulmand at peace. Excellent anti depressant and anxiolysis effects. Mood uplift.

But I almost couldn't see, double, blurry vision, head spinning. I am sleep deprived, but never does such a small amount of any kava send me to that level so rapidly.

To achieve such a feeling of debilitation from kava, I usually need to push it, drink 60 grams plus.

I can't actually drink any more of it for now, and Im thinking I will tip it through one of Henry's strainer bags later, just to make it tolerable, potency wise.

Or....I could just drink tiny tiny little shells. Like taking one puff on a joint, it would feel a bit unusual.

I wish my KS strainer bag did not make such a difficult task of straining after blending.

It may be in part due to emulsification with the sunflower lecithin. Ironically, if I shake the tied bag in a jar, a la Krunkie....there is zero difficulty straining it out fully.

So last time I used the bag after blending, I squeezed what I could, then tied it, shook it in a jar with a little warm water, and after that it was easy to fully squeeze out.

I heard Krunky say recenly he goes for 75-100 micron Nut milk bags, I think.

This one is see through as. It must be less microns than that. Combined with KS's fine grind as you say.

But still, such a small amount of kava has never hit me so hard ever. I am already rotating KT Savusavu, Koro Islands, Kelai, Family Reserve and others. So it's not like my kavas are feeble slouches, you get me!

I will report back here when I have performed a control, better filtered, to properly assess this Borongoru.

Last edited:

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
So just a thought pick if I may. How do you regard the sediment? Do you recognize it as a potentially bad thing, or just too much of a good thing, on occasion?

If the latter, as in, no undesirables, then simply reducing dosage, diluting more, would make a lot of sense.

But if it is the case that not just more actives are passing through, but different constituents which can alter the experience qualitatively, especially if there is a negative impact which partly spoils the experience, I would want to filter better.

Im thinking maybe I can strain through the nut milk bag, from the blender, in seconds almost. Then tip the kava through the proper straining bag, hoping it will pass through more easily, in future.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
So just a thought pick if I may. How do you regard the sediment? Do you recognize it as a potentially bad thing, or just too much of a good thing, on occasion?
All prepared kava, if you let it sit long enough, will separate out into sediment layers. I don't find excess sediment that I wouldn't normally see with other kavas when I use Kava Society NZ's kava. You just have to be sure to use a fine meshed strainer.

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
So @Kapmcrunk today I both learned a lesson, and made a potentially helpful discovery.

I just tipped the sediment heavy Borongoru through a KS strainer bag, squeezed through very easily, much much easier than straining directly from the root from the blender.

And, inside the KS strainer bag just now, lots of kava sludge.

So a new, easier way to strain from the blender. Nutmilk bag first.

Tip liquid through proper straining bag.

This Borongoru does feel very strong to me. Very pleasant, numbing and relaxing.

Bir Kar is en route, I couldn't resist, the only KS offering I've not tried, now that I've finally opened the Borongoru.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
i think using a blender results in the powder getting a bit micronised. if you absolutely must use a blender, I would suggest dulling the blades somehow so that it becomes more of a mixer than chopper

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
i think using a blender results in the powder getting a bit micronised. if you absolutely must use a blender, I would suggest dulling the blades somehow so that it becomes more of a mixer than chopper
Thanks Henry. My ears will always prick wide when you share, being clearly in my judgement one of our top kava sounding boards here.

I just report my own experience as honestly as I can.

So when you say Micronized, my initial assumption was you suggesting more particulate passes through.

If that was your meaning, this is not a problem for me at all using a blender and YOUR strainers.

Then it struck me- were you suggesting the micronizing of blending causes the liquid to be harder to strain. In which case, blunter blades may be a remedy.

The Blender is a world above Aluballing for me, gram for gram, it's like the Aluball provides barely 60% of the fullbodiedness, lasting physical relaxation, and stable anxiolysis as the blender.

I have just been deterred from it, on account of it being so difficult to strain through your bags, which I really like.

But I think I have an easy fix now. Tip from blender into nut milk bag, then pour liquid through your strainer bag. Fast and easy. The kava passed through your strainer bag very easily tonight, having already been makha squeezed out,,andbit retained a good extra amount of sediment.

This Borongoru Henry, to me today really feels like your strongest cultivar of them all.

Im really looking forward to the Bir Kar.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
thank you for your kind words, mate.
I guess what I meant was that using a blender with sharp blades may result in grinding the powder even finer/liquifying the fibres. Additionally, you might be overheating the kava. once kava reaches 60C it starts swellimg and gelling, all of which make it harder to strain/filter.

Have you ever tried kneading it the traditional way?

or perhaps the rolling pin method if you prefer to avoid manual kneading?