What's new

Powdered Kava Review Borogu

Russell Caruso

TravelingMan
Basically, I bought this Kava around the early months of 2018 after running out of the Nangol Noble (which was great by the way, still yet to write a review on that) and after trying it a few times, I got a very uneasy feeling in my stomach, heart palpitations, a short of breath feeling that I couldn't seem to shake. I assumed this was rebound anxiety, though several Kava drinkers have said it didn't particularly exist. I was still a newbie at the time of this, so I wasn't sure what I was doing wrong to get these effects. I decided to switch strains, cultivators, etc. and I noticed I did not get these same effects, so I let it stay in my drawer up until last night. After constantly switching around between my favorite strains and now having drank Kava daily/on and off since acquiring the new strains, I decided to give Borogu another shot. At first, all was well, I had a very heady buzz, not stimulating or heavy, but as BKH describes, a nice, balanced Kava. I really did enjoy the effects, and I can understand why this Kava is so popular in Vanuatu. It was a unique kind of heady, and overall a mellow, anxiety-free feeling. I actually would almost say I enjoyed the effects more than some of my personal favorite Kavas. Though, after about 2 hours.. Boom, I notice my stomach feeling tense, uneasy, and at first I thought rebound anxiety when I first tried this strain months back, but I know now after using lots of Kavas that my stomach doesn't like this one. At all. The palpitations/shortness of breath is because I have so much gas building up inside my belly, it's pressing up against my ribcage, lol. It doesn't make it hard to breathe, like an allergic reaction or anything, I can just sense my stomach is real unhappy with it. It's more so this nagging feeling right under the ribcage that just kinda gnaws at you. Months back this feeling was pretty freaky and it nearly pushed me away from Kava, but now knowing it's just gas I chug some water, chew some ginger and hope for the best. It doesn't relieve the problem, but it speeds it up by a bit.
Although this Kava doesn't agree with me personally, it's still a great Kava and i'd really recommend it for anyone with anxiety. I can definitely notice the anxiety relief, despite my own gastrointestinal issues with it. I personally won't use this Kava again, but i'm sure so many others will find relief and pleasure with it!
Color: Dark brown, darker than any Kava i've ever tried.
Taste: More.. Bitter than any Kava I have tried. It isn't an awful taste, it's peppery, but it's sort of rough going down. Probably the least pleasant Kava i've tried (though still not bad!)
Numbing effects: Pretty good, i've come to enjoy the numbing effect as it's a sign good feelings are coming soon. This Kava definitely has good numbing effects.

Just a reminder this Kava didn't agree well with me. That's not to say you won't have good effects with it! Tonights experience really put the emphasis on how important the strain is to everyone's individual Kava experience. So if one doesn't agree with you, keep searching til you find "the one." Bula!

ThePiper

Kava Lover
That's bizarre that you would have that come up 2 hours afterwards. Usually by the two hour mark the stimulating effects have gone or at least are on the way out. Do you have anxiety problems?

Russell Caruso

TravelingMan
That's bizarre that you would have that come up 2 hours afterwards. Usually by the two hour mark the stimulating effects have gone or at least are on the way out. Do you have anxiety problems?
Agreed, it is bizarre. I do have anxiety problems, but they are nowhere near as bad as they used to be and much more manageable (both thanks to Kava and a better lifestyle.)
This Kava doesn't necessarily induce anxiety directly. It's the really bad gastrointestinal effects that make me worry and induce an anxious effect. Previously I wasn't really sure what was going on but after months of Kava usage and going back to this one I realized that's what the issue was. It isn't necessarily the stimulating effects either, I have some Pouni Ono and I love it. I enjoy the stimulating varieties to an extent, but at the 1tbsp amount of Borogu I did my stomach was just in knots. The effects were pleasant, just.. not so much in the GI department, lol.