What's new

Powdered Kava Review Borongoru

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
This is the first time I have tried this kava and I have to say I like it quite a bit. I started off light to judge how it would effect me without going overboard but did need to top up with another quick prep.

The grind is reasonably coarse. I use a blender anyway so that doesn't make much difference to my prep. The powder has a very slightly musty smell to it but I'm convinced it's not off, just what it smells like.

For my first mix I used 3 tablespoons of powder with 1.5 cups of water and split it into 2 shells. I found the kava a little difficult to drink but that could be something to do with last nights pounding with the Kava Kwik Instant (see other review). I managed to drink about half the mix (3/4 of a cup) in maybe 3 to 4 mins.

The taste is quite pronounced with that bitter pepperiness that I expect from Vanuatu kavas. The initial effects seemed to build quite gradually. I waited 45 or so mins before the second shell and the effects grew more pronounced after that. I would describe this as a well balanced kava, I could definitely feel some heady effects, not so much a rush of euphoria but a pleasant calming of the mind. The body effects were similarly pleasant, a nice relaxation of the muscles.

Despite the taste I wouldn't say that I experienced any nausea from this. I am finding that these stronger tasting Vanuatu kavas can make it more difficult for me to eat afterwards but I did manage to eat something and the effects mellowed into a nice relaxed feeling of body and mind in equal measure. Part of the stomach harshness is probably down to making two batches and drinking more shells overall than usual. Next time I would mix it stronger right off the bat and take in less shells of a stronger mix.

Although I like this kava quite a bit I'm not sure I would buy it again for my own consumption, there are other kavas that I like better, less harsh tasting with similar or nicer effects. Saying that though I can see the appeal and I would definitely recommend that everyone try it at least once. If you are looking for a potent balanced kava then this could easily be the one for you.

I will update with after effects and next morning effects tomorrow.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
The after effects were fine, I ate and got off to sleep ok. The morning after I felt a little dehydrated but nothing worse. There was only so much liquid I could get down after the peppery kava. A few mouthfuls of coconut water and the edge is coming off already so all in all no bad effects.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Trying this again tonight and I like it again. 4 tbsps. in 1.5 cups water split into two. Had the first shell 20 or so mins ago and feeling nice and relaxed, no major euphoric hit but a nice mellowness with the same muscle relaxation that I am only just starting to appreciate in a kava.