What's new

Kava Preparation Bula! Tonight's kava.

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
Hello, tonight I am enjoying my favorite kava. I am having a good time crafting kava with water to root ratios I may be trying for the first time.

Sharing my technique and results with you is something I feel good about.

First, I had a few daytime shells. This was 8 hours ago. I had eaten a meaty lunch two hours prior and was having a small bowl of oats on the side due to how powerful this kava is. This earlier preparation used 4 shells or 850ml water with 30g kava. The water was heated to about 150*f. This was too hot for me today. I am not used to high strength kava, or perhaps after three years the reverse tolerance is becoming a thing. Nonetheless, within an hour, I finished the kava. Relaxing. I lounged until dinner and it seemed to fade off.

My second exploration was based on a conversation about pressure cooking kava at high temperatures. I thought, I may be able to get kava up to 300 * F in hot oil. So I measured 10 grams kava and 25g CoconutMCT oil (liquid coconut fat) and heated it on the stove. This smelled good to me, like cotton candy. I tasted a little bit after straining with a metal strainer and picked up distinctive notes of chocolate and grahm cracker. I froze the remaining roots and oil together, not willing to eat that much oil today. I did taste a chalky texture, and not much numbing--I am not after a super delayed absorption of kava tonight, I'll save it for making my next kava cake.

Long after night fell, I drew 8 shells (1800ml) of water and got my strainer bag out filled with 85.5g kava. The goal was to have about 10g kava per shell. I kneaded, squeezed, mixed, and strained the roots in the cold water for 6 minutes. I know it could be longer, I saved the roots in a freezer for future.

I've had two shells so far. It has been 15 minutes. I feel it for sure. Feels even and balanced in its approach on my body. The tasting notes were much like wet earth and logs out in the forest during rainfall. I was not getting the chocolate grahm cracker anymore. The flavor is complex and interesting, a funky taste with a hint of smokiness. It is a Fiji'an Waka after all.

Thank you, I will return to this thread when I have more information about this kava, so far, it's very good and I appreciate it.