What's new

Can Blending Plus Kneading Make Second Wash Unnecessary?

I've noticed only one bad thing about kava: it's kind of expensive. I always have 2 shells, each constituting 28g of kava (I weigh it out for consistency) and I blend it for 6 minutes on high in a food processor with 2 tablespoons of heavy cream. I eat carnivore/keto so the fat is negligible to my metabolism. Afterwards I knead for about 2 minutes then strain and chug. Would this be a thorough way to extract most of the kavalactones, rendering a second wash unnecessary? Does anyone have experience with this? If there is a way to extract it all in one go, that's what I'm looking for. But if someone who does it similar to this has noticed that a second wash still

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I've noticed only one bad thing about kava: it's kind of expensive. I always have 2 shells, each constituting 28g of kava (I weigh it out for consistency) and I blend it for 6 minutes on high in a food processor with 2 tablespoons of heavy cream. I eat carnivore/keto so the fat is negligible to my metabolism. Afterwards I knead for about 2 minutes then strain and chug. Would this be a thorough way to extract most of the kavalactones, rendering a second wash unnecessary? Does anyone have experience with this? If there is a way to extract it all in one go, that's what I'm looking for. But if someone who does it similar to this has noticed that a second wash still
I blend then strain and don't do a second wash but if you are keen to get the most out of the kava then someone mentioned the other day that you can blend all of the root with two thirds of the liquid then immediately rewash with the remaining third. Then combine the two washes together and that will be noticeably stronger, probably not worth washing any more.

Apologies to whoever gave me the above idea, I can't remember who it was.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
You're not doing an actual 2nd wash if you don't add more water for your second extraction. If you have a high speed blender like a Ninja or Vitamix then using the CTAHR method as outlined here will get the most out of it - kava lecture 11

I find this works best with Vanuatu or Fijian waka dried powder. I don't do the 3rd wash with Tongan, Hawaiian, Samoan, etc.