What's new

can kava & associated habits cause IBS?

Thomas2060

Kava Curious
I was having some digestive issues and mild abdominal pain last summer. I saw my GP and told them about my kava habit. Because the pain sounded possibly like an ulcer they tested for h. pylori (negative). They also did a full blood workup with CBC, metabolic panel, Lipase, etc and it was all normal. This was a relief, since I'd been using kava for about a year and while I'd taken breaks, I was using a higher dosage (6-8 Tbsp) and was worried that my liver was affected or something worse.

She prescribed 90 days of omeprazole (GERD medicine) and told me to keep hydrated. She said it could be IBS, or just anxiety, and said she's seen an uptick of digestive symptoms during the pandemic. Makes sense. Sure enough the issues went away with the meds and I resumed drinking kava.

The 90 days of meds ran out a few months ago. Since then, similar issues have returned. I get fairly mild, transient pains in what feels like my stomach & the rest of the upper digestive track. Also sometimes near my left hip, which I believe is one of the big bends in the colon. I've not had any real changes in BM, no nausea or any other symptoms, just some discomfort which is not too bad but still kind of scary because it's new and persistent.

I stopped drinking kava just to see, and within days my symptoms improved.

So kava might be causing IBS-like symptoms. But also there are habits I've developed with kava use that surely contribute. One, I drink kava in fruit juice, and usually consume it later in the evening, a few hours before bed. I also tend to save treats and sweets for that time, because it's more enjoyable on the kava and I just tend to save my pleasures for after the day's work is done.

This means I'm consuming kava with acidic liquid, then also consuming stuff with high sugar and/or fat content, then going to bed shortly after. I would usually drink a tall glass of water once the kava's effects started waning, and sometimes some Tums too. But I imagine doing this most nights for many months has taken a toll on my digestive system.

Any thoughts? I'm sure other people also drink kava in the evening and have food, and I'm wondering how other people fare. I haven't seen a ton of complaints but you never know.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I've wondered about this myself. I drink kava daily and have for almost 1/2 of my life. I had what I thought was IBS for at least 2 years before seeing the doc. Turns out it was generalized anxiety disorder causing it. Had all the same tests you referenced, and came back good. He put me on venlafaxine and those stomach troubles all but disappeared. The mind is extremely powerful.

jonaspmd

found kava
The onset of IBS is usually rather early in adulthood, between 20 and 30. The onset later in life becomes increasingly unlikely. In order to understand what is causing your symptoms, a rule of thumb is to ask yourself what did you do differently before the symptoms started. The start of kava consumption fits this. I have a theory that kava causes the same healing problem to mucosa (inner lining of the stomach and intestines) as it does to the skin. So, in a similar way as you get dermopathy, you can develop stomach inflammation and heartburn. You're very lucky that H pylori was negative, as this bug is very prevalent and the main cause of stomach ulcers and is becoming fairly resistant to antibiotic treatment. So, the first thing I would try to fix the stomach problems is to stop kava consumption and do the usual protocol for heartburn. Ie, no coffee, mild food, no alcohol, no fizzy water, no supplements or other drugs on empty stomach. Take omeprazole or other PPI for as long as needed (can be months). The key is to keep this regimen for more than a month. A month is long enough period of time for any soft tissue to heal, except stomach because it showers in strong acid several times a day. Therefore acidity reduction with PPIs, mild diet and no stressors like alcohol are all necessary to fix the mucosa. If that is actually your problem, then this regimen should help and I would think you should be good to resume your kava in several weeks time.

Last edited:

Jacob Bula

Nobody
Oddly enough, when I drink kava after working on night shifts my normal heartburn and stomach problems go away. When I start days it comes back. I don't know if kava actually helps heartburn or my associated habits when drinking. For example, I cut out coffee, drink more water, and I don't eat after 4; so, maybe try changing your associated habits with drinking kava and see if you notice an improvement?

JohnMichael

Kava Synchronized
Oddly enough, when I drink kava after working on night shifts my normal heartburn and stomach problems go away. When I start days it comes back. I don't know if kava actually helps heartburn or my associated habits when drinking. For example, I cut out coffee, drink more water, and I don't eat after 4; so, maybe try changing your associated habits with drinking kava and see if you notice an improvement?
If I've been dumb enough to over-eat and feel uncomfortable, kava really provides relief. Just one shell. But, yes, if I drink a lot on an empty stomach, then there can be some distress, mainly gas.

Ellviis

Kava Curious
I know I’ve mentioned this a few times, but it’s just so miraculous. BPC-157 has helped me so much in the gut department.

After diet changes and taking it for a couple months, it cured my heartburn problem and a nagging ulcer. It’s safe, under FDA GRAS status as a supplement. BPC is extracted from the stomach, so it’s in its natural environment

I’m always cautious with PPI’s, as it could exacerbate a heartburn issue, depending on your body. Some forms of heartburn are caused by the sphincter at the base of the esophagus being open, causing stomach acid to come up. Too much stomach acid just leaks right though this barrier, or splashes at it constantly with too low of a PH.

I think most of the time, the heartburn is either due to some type of intolerance, or more likely too little stomach acid. When there’s too little, that spincter opens up, thinking it’s okay, allowing the acid to come up and cause heartburn. We take PPI’s, which make the issue worse and becomes a game of catch up, with the body making more and more stomach acid, or at least attempting to. What little acid is there comes up through the loose spincter, resulting in a higher dosage or forever dosing.

source: gerd, lots of doctor visits and finally being cured after diet changes and BPC balancing it out for good. I don’t need to take the BPC anymore

edit: I think some forms of heartburn are from recycled bile, that just keeps circulating throughout the body and getting thicker as it has nowhere to go. Lots of daily fiber can give the bile a home to bind to, resulting in cleaner, less thick burning bile