What's new

Can long-term kava lead to long-term digestive issues ?

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
I have heard of people talk of short-term kava causing short-term digestive issues.
But not long-term.
And that it was what I am experiencing.
I'm just not sure if it's due to the kava or something else.
So, is it possible that long-term kava consumption, can lead to chronic digestive issues ?
If so, other than taking a break, what can alleviate it ?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I have GAD induced IBS. Kava tends to reduce my issues, but I can see how some may incur them with the continual addition of excess fiber in the diet. I haven't heard of all that many people complaining about it. If you take a break and it continues, be sure to tell your doctor so they can look into it.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
I have GAD induced IBS. Kava tends to reduce my issues, but I can see how some may incur them with the continual addition of excess fiber in the diet. I haven't heard of all that many people complaining about it. If you take a break and it continues, be sure to tell your doctor so they can look into it.
I have heard kava talked about, as a fiber, however I have always gotten the impression that it was not a "typical" fiber.
Traditional fiber is supposed to help digestion.
But it seems like whatever type of fiber that is in kava, is difficult to digest. Hence all the precautions people take, such as noble kava, grinding it down as fine as possible, etc.
Usually when a person takes too much fiber, it basically gives them the runs. That doesn't seem to happen with kava. It seems to do the opposite,

Hightide

Kava Enthusiast
I've had some pretty serious digestion issues and food sensitivities, so I'm pretty aware when something really throws me off. I never felt that Kava was having a significant effect on digestion. I need to watch my hydration while using Kava though, because that is something that really affects digestion too. Also, lots of stomach issues are related (if not caused) by too much stress. Kava definitely helps with that

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
I've had some pretty serious digestion issues and food sensitivities, so I'm pretty aware when something really throws me off. I never felt that Kava was having a significant effect on digestion. I need to watch my hydration while using Kava though, because that is something that really affects digestion too. Also, lots of stomach issues are related (if not caused) by too much stress. Kava definitely helps with that
That one particular point you make is very relevant indeed. Adequate digestion depends upon sufficient Hydration levels, with water being required for the ptoduction of hydrochloric acid.

kavamehameha

Magnum's 'awa drinking bird
I never felt that Kava was having a significant effect on digestion. I need to watch my hydration while using Kava though, because that is something that really affects digestion too. Also, lots of stomach issues are related (if not caused) by too much stress. Kava definitely helps with that
That exactly sums up my experience. Drinking enough water is important, otherwise kava (due to its "peppery" nature) might induce reflux. I usually tend to get reflux/heartburn when I'm nervous or eat too acidic stuff, so making things worse with kava is definitely something to avoid. Other than that, I never had any digestion issues regarding kava consumption.