What's new

Can someone who has had a heart attack many years ago use kava?

yestothat

Kava Curious
Hi there, I've enjoyed kava kava for 10+ years without liver issues. I get blood work done each year, and always unnecessarily worry about the liver numbers before I get the results - thanks to some articles that repeatedly surface on the Internet. The numbers are always, without fail, within normal range - yay.

A friend who suffered a mild heart attack many years ago and is currently on statins is interested to try kava kava. Is it safe for him to consume it (ground kava, strained in water)?

Thanks in advance.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Hi there, I've enjoyed kava kava for 10+ years without liver issues. I get blood work done each year, and always unnecessarily worry about the liver numbers before I get the results - thanks to some articles that repeatedly surface on the Internet. The numbers are always, without fail, within normal range - yay.

A friend who suffered a mild heart attack many years ago and is currently on statins is interested to try kava kava. Is it safe for him to consume it (ground kava, strained in water)?

Thanks in advance.
Howdy & Welcome. Statins are used to lower cholesterol, I take 40mg a day and haven't had a problem (only taking it for 3 months & no heart attack). however we are all different and i would say the safest course of action is to have your friend speak to his doctor. No one can or will say definitively it's ok because we are not doctors. My own PCP knows I drink kava, as far as he is concerned everyday.

Also for reference.

Last edited:

yestothat

Kava Curious
Howdy & Welcome. Statins are used to lower cholesterol, I take 40mg a day and haven't had a problem (only taking it for 3 months & no heart attack). however we are all different and i would say the safest course of action is to have your friend speak to his doctor. No one can or will say definitively it's ok because we are not doctors. My own PCP knows I drink kava, as far as he is concerned everyday.

Also for reference.
Thank you!