What's new

Can you take Kava the day after a Klonopin dose?

Valyn

Kava Curious
Just a quick question: I know it's not wise to mix medications with Kava, but was wondering if, since Klonopin has a long half-life, that I can take 2mg Klonopin at 9 PM the night before and then wake up and drink Kava in the late afternoon or early evening. I drink a very heady Tongan Kava if that makes a difference, rather than a balanced or heavy one.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Just a quick question: I know it's not wise to mix medications with Kava, but was wondering if, since Klonopin has a long half-life, that I can take 2mg Klonopin at 9 PM the night before and then wake up and drink Kava in the late afternoon or early evening. I drink a very heady Tongan Kava if that makes a difference, rather than a balanced or heavy one.
It should be fine but I would talk to your pcp and let him/her know that you drink kava. As long as you are not mixing it and you have the script already, I haven't seen any problems but I am not a doctor.

jonaspmd

found kava
If you still need benzodiazepines with kava in your life, there are plenty of options when it comes to half life, which your doctor should be able to advise on. You are obviously aware that BZDS are only a temporary option, a few weeks before the addiction and reduced efficacy kicks in. As for the combination with kava, it would probably only increase sedation, BZDs are very safe drugs.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
If you still need benzodiazepines with kava in your life, there are plenty of options when it comes to half life, which your doctor should be able to advise on. You are obviously aware that BZDS are only a temporary option, a few weeks before the addiction and reduced efficacy kicks in. As for the combination with kava, it would probably only increase sedation, BZDs are very safe drugs.
I agree. PAM at GABA tells me the only thing it may do is increase the sedation.

I've seen one instance of this combo possibly causing an unsafe condition, however this is more of a "mention" than a study.

Almeida, J. C., and E. W. Grimsley. 1996. “Coma from the Health Food Store: Interaction between Kava and Alprazolam.” Annals of Internal Medicine 125 (11): 940–41. https://sci-hub.st/10.7326/0003-4819-125-11-199612010-00023

Edit: In the above article, the person in question was taking a combination of alprazolam, cimetidine, and terazosin along with kava. Cimetidine is known for interacting with alprazolam, so I'm not 100% sure this can be placed at the feet of kava.

Last edited:

Yogini

Well... there ya have it.
I've taken benzos as prescribed for 2 decades and I've never had an issue with kava. I obviously have a tolerance to benzos. I was 19 when they prescribed it. Tried coming off many times. I have active autoimmune issues so I'm not going to stress my body further by attempting to come off.