What's new

Canadian Kava Newbie

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Absolutely. If it doesn't say instant, assume it is normal powdered root. (Instant is kava that has been prepared normally and then evaporated or otherwise magically turned into water-soluble powder, micronized is extremely finely ground kava -- important to make sure the root fibers have been removed before this is done). And actually some vendors sell micronized as instant so watch out for that too, though none of the vendors active on this forum do as far as I know.

Kava_newbie

Mi Kava, su Kava
Shit mind blown again. So instant is mix and go - I have that part down.
What is the difference between micronized and your normal average powder.

i have a pretty strong stomach and don't really care if there are little floaties in my drink. Is that the only difference?

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Micronized is just very finely ground kava powder, ideally with the coarse fibers removed beforehand. Most kava powder has a coarser grind (visible stems, larger root particles) It's fairly easy to mix and drink micronized though it's technically not water soluble. Mixing and drinking any type of kava straight up ("toss and wash") is possible if you can get it down, but I personally prefer to avoid this with anything but instant because of the effect profile.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder

Kava_newbie

Mi Kava, su Kava
Thanks a lot guys. I just watched a few of GHK's how to make a Kava drink video's. Seeing how it was done really helped a lot. I think I get it now.

Now i just have to pick a Kava to buy and then the waiting begins. Very exciting stuff.

Monkava'd

A spoonful of sugar makes the Awa' go down.
Shit mind blown again. So instant is mix and go - I have that part down.
What is the difference between micronized and your normal average powder.

i have a pretty strong stomach and don't really care if there are little floaties in my drink. Is that the only difference?
Hello Kava newbie, welcome to the forums.::happyshell::
I have some extremely intriguing information that'd be of use to you and it'd be better for me to just post the thread itself. This should help you discern that not all micronized are created equal and this vendors specific process is "special". By no means does this mean that another vendors micronized is no good, but I'm just attempting to *explain* the differences. Makas were a surprise for us all....even though some had already begun theorizing the possibility that they may be a cause for dermopathy...or of the symptoms pertaining to dermopathy (redening and drying of the skin in various areas of the body).

Regardless I'm sure you'll find kava becomes much less fickle when dealing with micronized but I must stress that the traditional method of kneading/straining should be given a chance, and even a regular go around because of the heritage involved by way of consuming the aforementioned traditional preparation.

As of now because of a much busier schedule my kava ritual'l become micronized Monday through Friday; grog(traditional preparation) Saturday and Sunday. Again If not for my schedule I'd be finding another way to incorporate grog into the daily grind but it just won't be possible.

I hope you have fun discovering and rediscovering new and exciting things here on the forums.

Don't forget to check out the recipe and review section for some great ways to prepare micronized kava, then the reviews so you can decide what type of cultivars (varieties) of kava suit you best.

Last but not least; all of the vendors on the forums are a great option but try to research the controversy on tudei because that can/will often brew up a confusing and heated debate, so that's a topic best thought over by skimming through the threads on that particular cultivar.;)

Last edited:

Kava_newbie

Mi Kava, su Kava
Hey Canadian here too. Capsules are a joke, don't bother. Mayyybe they will help you overcome reverse tolerance sooner. Mayybe.

Read the info on how to use kava, it takes a while before it works.

GHK Micro is good, but don't use too much. Boroguru is always your best bet.
Hey Skywalker. How long did it take for you to receive your package? I just ordered my first EVER package of Boroguru from GHK.

Now the waiting begins!

Kava_newbie

Mi Kava, su Kava
@Kava_newbie Welcome to our little family Eh??
::hugsmiley::

I hope you will be changing your name to Kava Expert someday soon.
Lol. Maybe one day. I have a journalism diploma so do have a "Thirst for Knowledge" thing going on - although I never followed through in that career. Chris from GHK said it'd take a little over two weeks depending on customs. But @Skywalker (I will dance that dance!) would know and he said 4 weeks...ouch.

Last edited:

DirTJerz

Error 404
Well, some others may not approve, but I have found a couple of kavas on amazon because I wanted to get it in 2 days. (That's what I call two-day kava ;)) They have worked for me, but the concern is that you don't necessarily know what you're getting as much as the vendors here. But then again, concerns about tudei have come up with some of them too.

I don't know if you've read up of the tudei spiking controversy, but most on here would like to have confidence that their kava is 100% noble. That's why my last order was from GHK like you. I still have some of the "Milk of the Pacific" Fu'u I got on amazon, and I take slight comfort in the fact that it's white and light like fu'u is supposed to be. Perhaps I should do the acetone test, but I don't have a good control to compare it to. Or maybe, if Deleted User would like, I can send him a sample of it to test for his library.

You'll want to listen to the others, and I won't be offended if they say amazon is a terrible idea :D.

Kava_newbie

Mi Kava, su Kava
I still have to read up more on the whole "tudei" topic. No doubt I'm sure I'll have a few more questions for all of you in a short while. Have a great day guys!

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
I still have to read up more on the whole "tudei" topic. No doubt I'm sure I'll have a few more questions for all of you in a short while. Have a great day guys!
I added a new section in The Kavapedia just for you and @Deleted User regarding Kava Testing. Please include this as part of you're recommended reading list. I'm thinking of including more information about Chemotypes there too.