What's new

Cautionary Tale of Freezing Kava

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
Specifically freezing kava in glass.
I am not a fan of plastic, due to a personal belief in the toxins that are inherent.
So, when I found myself with an abundance of kava that should be frozen, to prevent spoiling by the time it was used, I decided to utilize some used, empty, glass 12 oz Kombucha bottles that you might find in your grocery store in the produce/juice section, which I collect.
I was aware of the risks of freezing liquids, especially in glass.
So, I left some space at the top of the bottle and filled it, with about an inch to spare on the top. I also loosely screwed the cap on.
But I underestimated kava's ability to expand.
After this incident, I was advised by a knowledgable person that the "grains" in kava expand more than the water, explaining the extreme reaction it got from the freezer.
So, after freezing was complete, I found the bottle to be cracked from top to bottom. The glass looked shredded into shards. Both the top cap, and the glass bottom literally broke off by itself. And this is thick glass, too.
This picture shows basically what was left after the cap and glass pieces fell off like flakes.
I did this same thing, with 3 of the same types of glass bottles at the same time, and all 3 had the same result.
Pardon the "low definition" pics. I do not have a smart phone.
So can anyone tell me, is it possible to use glass in freezing with kava, without this happening ? Are there any extra precautions that will prevent it ?

Picture0709202227951.jpg

Last edited:

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
I've been wondering this too. I've had some glass be fine and some bust. One time it took me over an hour to use a dozen coffee filters to strain all the glass out.
I usually use aluminum foil or plastic wrap or freeze liquid in a plastic bottle. I also drink those kombuchas! nice score. Thank you for your answer Darcy.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
The pressures exerted by freezing water can literally destroy solid steel. I promise your kava particles aren't your culprit here but good old H2O. You might be more successful if you only filled it up half way and left the top off to prevent pressure buildup, but even then the chance is high for a shattering.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
The pressures exerted by freezing water can literally destroy solid steel. I promise your kava particles aren't your culprit here but good old H2O. You might be more successful if you only filled it up half way and left the top off to prevent pressure buildup, but even then the chance is high for a shattering.
Interesting, I've frozen water bottles before, the ones with the flimsy thin plastic, to use as an ice pack. They were full and closed. And they were completely un-harmed by freezing, which is surprising, if freezing water can burst through solid steel.
Is plastic stronger than steel, in some ways ?

Last edited:

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Interesting, I've frozen water bottles before, the ones with the flimsy thin plastic, to use as an ice pack. They were full and closed. And they were completely un-harmed by freezing, which is surprising, if freezing water can burst through solid steel
It's all about elasticity. Plastic can stretch to accommodate the expanding size of the ice as it freezes. Ridged containers that don't expand do it without permission and shatter or crack.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
It's all about elasticity. Plastic can stretch to accommodate the expanding size of the ice as it freezes. Ridged containers that don't expand do it without permission and shatter or crack.

Also interesting, as I have on numerous occasions taken a small 6 oz mug, made completely of glass, poured a beverage into it, topped it with foil, and froze it overnight, and there was never any damage.
Maybe the foil allowed it to breathe.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Also interesting, as I have on numerous occasions taken a small 6 oz mug, made completely of glass, poured a beverage into it, topped it with foil, and froze it overnight, and there was never any damage.
Maybe the foil allowed it to breathe.
Precisely. The foil allowed the expansion at the top. If I went about freezing kava, I would get some of those silicone ice molds. Pour your kava into those and you have nifty kava ice cubes to add to your next batch.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
The glass just easily peeled right off, just like a banana, while the kava was still frozen....see ?
So maybe I'll try this again...heh
I didn't even swallow any shards of glass...that I know of...
wait, maybe that was the reason I wondered why this kava batch was so "crunchy". I assumed it was large raw root material...heh

Picture0710201728951.jpg

Last edited:

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
Precisely. The foil allowed the expansion at the top. If I went about freezing kava, I would get some of those silicone ice molds. Pour your kava into those and you have nifty kava ice cubes to add to your next batch.
I wonder if the flexibility of the foil would be enough, if I just topped those same bottles with foil, instead of the cap