What's new

"Ceremonial Grade" = Tudei?

ObiWan

May the Brew be with you
While there is a lot of talk about not noble Kavas and Tudei recently, I remembered what the infamous Kona Kava wrote on their site : "Tudei Kava (like the Mahakea strain that we offer here at Kona Kava Farm)". They seem to be proud to sell a not noble Kava ... and they also write "Tudei kava is consumed only at ceremonial occasions"

Sometimes a Kava strain is advertised by other vendors as beeing "ceremonial grade". I always thought this was an other name for premium Kava. Does this mean that we should expect every "ceremonial grade" Kava to be Tudei?

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
What "ceremonial" means is going to be entirely up to the vendor, really. As I understand it the ni-Vanuatu do have a class of kavas used for ceremonial purposes, a class which includes both noble and tudei kavas going by chemotype and flavokawain-B content, not the traditional classifications. So basically it goes back to if you aren't sure, do the test.

D

Deleted User01

Obiwan, we have found out that so much of our "everyday Kava" has Tudie in it that the distinction is blurred. If I were having a ceremony, I would get a good Noble Kava and have all the Makas removed to make it even more pure. Perhaps all lateral root. I would also use a lighter colored Kava because it would taste mild. You can get this with Micronized from GHK already but I'm thinking of a Kava Powder made the traditional way. It would have to be high Kavain if the ceremony were celebratory. There are the specs, now somebody go out there and make it. (Chris, are you listening).

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Hi Obiwan, KavaDude is correct, the Ceremonial kava, in Vanuatu is Noble and Tudei but for the most part it is Tudei that they use for this. They do not drink all night in situations like this, it is only a little bit of drinking compared to there regular drinking nights. The Tudei effects could have something to do with that but I am not sure. I do know that most but not all Ceremonies the Tudei kava is used and again it is not a all night drinking session because they know that the Tudei is not a every day drinking kava. Aloha.

Chris

Roaddog

Kava Who?
I think I would not be opposed to drinking Tudei, in a real ceremony. Which would be very rare, but something I would love to experience. But for everyday use, I want Nobel. I often test my own kavas to see if they are Nobel. I suspect many kavas are adulterated. I feel only a small percentage of kava drinkers, are a member of this forum. I would assume they drink kava everyday, with no knowledge of whether or not its even Nobel. They all seem to be fine. I mean really If any kava was so bad, the bodies would be piling up by now.

Yes there has been less than 100 cases of death, from presumed Kava consumption. That's no comparison to the world wide statistics on alcohol deaths. Close to 2.5 million people die annually from alcohol consumption.

So I would say the real danger in tedei, is the crap hangover. I assume the hang over is so bad, that you cant drink it every day. Although I have no doubt long term use could pose health problems. I have only encountered tedei, once. It was very strong, and made you feel like crap. At least that's my experience. Not to down play, certain Kavas effects on the liver. I'm a firm believer in trying to do things as safe as possible. You have to be, if your like me, and some of your hobbies fall into the unsafe, zone. When I was a kid, I always spent plenty of time in the principals office. But I do believe it paid off. Now I can think outside of there little box. Much love. Roaddog....

Monkava'd

A spoonful of sugar makes the Awa' go down.
Makahea as an example of tudei? @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava
@Roaddog A great opinion that is, and I'd also love to have kava ceremoniously served. Noble with the makas removed for high potency but made traditionally (as per what Deleted User01 said). :D

Henry thats gotta be misnomer of some sort because I've yet to hear of a cultivar named mahakea as a tudei..that's just my opinion.....Chris would know better of course. ;)

Last edited:

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Yeah, I hope Chris will respond here but I don't believe tudei was even present in Hawaii until it was introduced by Lebot (for research only), and that variety is known as Isa.

Monkava'd

A spoonful of sugar makes the Awa' go down.
Yeah, I hope Chris will respond here but I don't believe tudei was even present in Hawaii until it was introduced by Lebot (for research only), and that variety is known as Isa.
In the history of kava I believe it was the Papa new guineans whom first arrived bearing gifts of kava unaware that they were introducing tudei to the islands and it spread like wildfire along with diseases previously not present to the islands themselves.
If I'm misinterpreting the history I'm sure Chris can clear it up. It may've not been tudei introduced by Png but i'm pretty sure they did introduce non-native cultivars upon arrival.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Hi everyone, there was never any tudei kava in Hawaii before Dr. Lebot brought the Isa. Mahakea is NOT tudei, no Hawaiian variety is Tudei, ALL Hawaiian kava is Noble unless it has been adulterated by Hawaii grown Isa, Isa is a tudei kava.
Please let me know if you have any other questions about Hawaiian kava. Aloha.

Chris