What's new

Changes in my kava experience / strain suggestions ?

GenieOfTheLamp

Kava Curious
Bear with me if you will.

Lately, the effects of kava on my brain/body have shifted in interesting ways. Where I used to get nauseous if I pushed it too far, I now almost never do. Definitely not to the point of puking, which wasn't a super uncommon occurrence before. This new lack of a built-in check on my intake has meant that I often find myself with other unpleasant effects at the end of a session. Namely increased heartrate and a general wound-up feelin' (sometimes anxiety, sometimes just a feeling of physical over-stimulation). This can, especially with certain strains, affect my ability to fall/stay asleep. Even with a few-hour buffer. I really wonder why my stomach all of sudden became impervious, and am actually bummed at the change. I find myself keeping the shells coming because, well, I really enjoy the lucid variety of intoxication kava gives me- until I don't. I've also found that I have more trouble hydrating lately (which certainly doesn't help the physiological effects). And that's even if I add electrolytes to my water and don't drink too many shells- hydration has just become an uphill battle where it wasn't particularly before. My prep is the same, in fact I tend to do a lower root-to-water ratio than seems standard. Taking a few days off will certainly be my first action on all this, but I'm curious if anyone else can relate at all to these changes or has any thoughts on them.

A few related questions- any strain recommendations on the non-excitatory side ? My selection has been more-or-less the same as always through the aforementioned changes. "Balanced" nobles. But I'll start erring on the heavier side. And maybe lower kavain content ? Any thoughts on specific chemotypes ?

Thank you very much for any insight !

T

Terrance J Goins JR

Bear with me if you will.

Lately, the effects of kava on my brain/body have shifted in interesting ways. Where I used to get nauseous if I pushed it too far, I now almost never do. Definitely not to the point of puking, which wasn't a super uncommon occurrence before. This new lack of a built-in check on my intake has meant that I often find myself with other unpleasant effects at the end of a session. Namely increased heartrate and a general wound-up feelin' (sometimes anxiety, sometimes just a feeling of physical over-stimulation). This can, especially with certain strains, affect my ability to fall/stay asleep. Even with a few-hour buffer. I really wonder why my stomach all of sudden became impervious, and am actually bummed at the change. I find myself keeping the shells coming because, well, I really enjoy the lucid variety of intoxication kava gives me- until I don't. I've also found that I have more trouble hydrating lately (which certainly doesn't help the physiological effects). And that's even if I add electrolytes to my water and don't drink too many shells- hydration has just become an uphill battle where it wasn't particularly before. My prep is the same, in fact I tend to do a lower root-to-water ratio than seems standard. Taking a few days off will certainly be my first action on all this, but I'm curious if anyone else can relate at all to these changes or has any thoughts on them.

A few related questions- any strain recommendations on the non-excitatory side ? My selection has been more-or-less the same as always through the aforementioned changes. "Balanced" nobles. But I'll start erring on the heavier side. And maybe lower kavain content ? Any thoughts on specific chemotypes ?

Thank you very much for any insight !
this is coming from a person my name is Terrance j Goins jr nice to meet you sir. I can tell you that silent thoughts have helped tremendously as well as taking lighter doses during my journey I no longer require to consume it that’s the beauty of kava. You don’t have to do it to feel the effects that’s helps a lot in terms of sleep eating water intake you should try it out. I hope this all helps you.

Jacob Bula

Nobody
Yes, I have the same problems. It happens to me every month. I take a break and within a few days I'm back to normal, but every time it happens its hard to remind myself that its transient, like all things. Electrolytes, water, sleep, meditation, etc. won't cure overconsumption. In my situation, I HAVE to find that sweet spot where I can have enough kava to get pleasant effects without having too much to cause the dehydration. I think this amount is different for every person due to both psychological and biological variance. Try taking a break and when you start back modify dosage and make notes-- that's what I plan on doing.

GenieOfTheLamp

Kava Curious
Yes, I have the same problems. It happens to me every month. I take a break and within a few days I'm back to normal, but every time it happens its hard to remind myself that its transient, like all things. Electrolytes, water, sleep, meditation, etc. won't cure overconsumption. In my situation, I HAVE to find that sweet spot where I can have enough kava to get pleasant effects without having too much to cause the dehydration. I think this amount is different for every person due to both psychological and biological variance. Try taking a break and when you start back modify dosage and make notes-- that's what I plan on doing.
Hey there. Thanks. I trust that it's transient. Just an interesting change after months of mostly daily use. And I've been consuming less if anything, brewed relatively weak. It's as if I've built up higher sensitivity via reverse tolerance in terms of diuretic factor, but simultaneously lost the capacity for nausea.

I'm thinking the break and a switch to heavier, less kavain-intense strains will help. Definitely gonna observe all effects more closely.

Jacob Bula

Nobody
Like clockwork for me. 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off. After 2 weeks, I get on here and complain about side effects. After 2 weeks off, I have rose tinted glasses, every single time .

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Like clockwork for me. 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off. After 2 weeks, I get on here and complain about side effects. After 2 weeks off, I have rose tinted glasses, every single time .
Maybe you can try a different approach, I used to drink kava hardcore everyday and I couldn't keep the dermo and side effects away either. I reserve 1-2 days a week and I allow myself to go all out! For most of the week i either only make one wash or if more than one, I really pace myself. Getting obliterated once in a while can be fun but i find more joy on days I control myself. Takes practice, kava is best in moderation. Then again if you like being slapped in the face, stick to Vanuatu kava, it takes a lot less root then any other kava.

Jacob Bula

Nobody
Maybe you can try a different approach, I used to drink kava hardcore everyday and I couldn't keep the dermo and side effects away either. I reserve 1-2 days a week and I allow myself to go all out! For most of the week i either only make one wash or if more than one, I really pace myself. Getting obliterated once in a while can be fun but i find more joy on days I control myself. Takes practice, kava is best in moderation. Then again if you like being slapped in the face, stick to Vanuatu kava, it takes a lot less root then any other kava.
It's mainly because of night shifts. They suck so bad. 8pm to 8 am.