What's new

Chest pain

Krunked up Tong

Kava Enthusiast
Hi guys,

Last night I had a heavy session, around 12 Tbsp of Melo Melo.

All was fine until the last couple of hours, I got this chest pain that kept coming and going out of nowhere. It probably came on as I was on my last shell.

Could this be the Kava causing it or something else? I will be trying it out again today at a lower dose to see how it goes. If it happens again I will see a doctor.

I was unaware Kava was hard on the heart (is it?), any info or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Hi guys,

Last night I had a heavy session, around 12 Tbsp of Melo Melo.

All was fine until the last couple of hours, I got this chest pain that kept coming and going out of nowhere. It probably came on as I was on my last shell.

Could this be the Kava causing it or something else? I will be trying it out again today at a lower dose to see how it goes. If it happens again I will see a doctor.

I was unaware Kava was hard on the heart (is it?), any info or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
From my experience, 90% of the time it is caused by gas and bloating, sometimes we can swallow extra air while shelling and it is not uncommon. Bloating and gas are already side effects from consuming kava and it is not too difficult to swallow some air when throwing back some shells. I would take some beno or equivalent and drink plentily of water.

Trapped gas in the body can be so painful that one could think it is heart related, fortunately most times it is not and will subside in a few hours sometimes a day or two.

Obviously always err on the side of caution with these things but it is important to remember that it is far more likely to be gas than anything else.

Krunked up Tong

Kava Enthusiast
Thanks for the reply.

I am drinking Kava again today, with some mild chest discomfort again. It comes and goes. It's not as bad as yesterday, but the dose is lower. I think I will take a little break from it to see if I notice any pains without the Kava.

I understand what you are saying about it likely being gas, but I don't think gas is the issue here, that's what my gut tells me.

One question, does Kava have some sort of effect on the heart? I know it's considered a very safe plant, so I will be quite surprised if it is infact the Kava causing this discomfort.

Also, I've never had any chest problems when I've taken Kava in the past. Which makes me think it could be something else.

Krunked up Tong

Kava Enthusiast
I have a feeling the Kava is nothing to do with the pain, I'm still experiencing it even though I stopped drinking Kava quite a while ago. I'm gonna book an appointment with the doctor tomorrow and get checked out.

I will update to let you know what happens. Hopefully it will pass in a day more or so.

Also, I've never had chest pain from Kava before, so I highly doubt it's the Kava.

Krunked up Tong

Kava Enthusiast
So today I bought some esomeprazole from the chemist. I didn't have any chest pain when I used Kava today.

However, I don't think the esomeprazole was the reason for not having any chest pain, I think it was just luck. I don't think the Kava caused the chest pain, but I'll see how things go over the next week.

I am gonna make a doctors appointment to get checked out just incase!

Bula :)

yestothat

Kava Curious
So today I bought some esomeprazole from the chemist. I didn't have any chest pain when I used Kava today.

However, I don't think the esomeprazole was the reason for not having any chest pain, I think it was just luck. I don't think the Kava caused the chest pain, but I'll see how things go over the next week.

I am gonna make a doctors appointment to get checked out just incase!

Bula :)
Agree with Krunʞy that 90% of the time it is caused by gas and bloating as kava can definitely create digestive discomfort.

I don't know about others, but kava makes me hypersensitive to internal and external sensations. Faint odors get amplified. Colors and light become vibrant and intense. I can sometimes feel more acutely a pumping sensation in the area between my heart and left shoulder. I've experience this for as long as I've enjoyed kava, and should probably get it checked out.

The symptoms of a heart attack are similar to indigestion, so seeing your doc about your heart health could be a good idea. Good luck. :)

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Im no doctor, and you should see one in case, but what kinda pain? So many different areas in the chest that can cause pain and its easy to confuse it with something else.
This is absolutely the truth. I have costochondritis that reoccurs and I can't tell you how many times I've thought 'Well, this is it' only to be around another day, lol.

Yeah, chest pains are strange, and should be discussed with your primary care physician. Self-diagnoses in this area can come with serious implications, so see that doctor if you have any doubts.

Krunked up Tong

Kava Enthusiast
Agree with Krunʞy that 90% of the time it is caused by gas and bloating as kava can definitely create digestive discomfort.

I don't know about others, but kava makes me hypersensitive to internal and external sensations. Faint odors get amplified. Colors and light become vibrant and intense. I can sometimes feel more acutely a pumping sensation in the area between my heart and left shoulder. I've experience this for as long as I've enjoyed kava, and should probably get it checked out.

The symptoms of a heart attack are similar to indigestion, so seeing your doc about your heart health could be a good idea. Good luck. :)
Thanks, yeah that makes sense. I think Kava is making me sensitive to certain sensations as well actually, but the chest pain was definitely something seperate to that. It's gone away now though since it happened, so I'm not too worried about it. I booked a doctors appointment today just incase though as it was pretty bad.

Im no doctor, and you should see one in case, but what kinda pain? So many different areas in the chest that can cause pain and its easy to confuse it with something else.
It was a sharpish pain that comes and goes in different areas, it's a bit hard to describe it. Could have just been a gas bubble stuck, since I've been taking the medication that I bought from the chemist I've not had any issues really.

Krunked up Tong

Kava Enthusiast
I'm still getting the pain, not all of the time though.

I'm concerned, and will be seeing a doctor about this.

My plan is to try using less (as I've been using a lot of Kava). I will update with results once I've tried this out. I will be really gutted if I have to give up Kava :(

Krunked up Tong

Kava Enthusiast
So update.

I saw the doctor, and she said there's most likely nothing to worry about. I'm gonna have some blood tests done but she checked the ones from pretty recently and they were all fine.

Also, I'm no longer getting chest pain really, I think it was triggered by anxiety. Now I'm feeling much better about it it seems to have dropped pretty much completely!

Enjoying Kava again :)

Slakemoth

I've had a similar response, have you tried checking your pulse when taking Kava out of curiosity? I have ADHD and I've noticed sometimes it can have a sort of paradoxical effect on me where it spikes my pulse, having had anxiety problems related to my pulse, I think this in turn triggers me thinking I'm having a heart related issue. So seems similar to what your experienceing.

As I've understood it given you've got the all clear, chest pain that doesnt have anything like nausea/vomiting, or pain in your jaw/shoulder, sweating/chills or changes as you move around, heart pain like that is pretty much always anxiety or GERD related. There's also precordial catch syndrome which I get quick often.

Could just be dehdryation related too, which could spike your pulse, that is a lot to take at one time so it isn't suprising.

Krunked up Tong

Kava Enthusiast
I've had a similar response, have you tried checking your pulse when taking Kava out of curiosity? I have ADHD and I've noticed sometimes it can have a sort of paradoxical effect on me where it spikes my pulse, having had anxiety problems related to my pulse, I think this in turn triggers me thinking I'm having a heart related issue. So seems similar to what your experienceing.

As I've understood it given you've got the all clear, chest pain that doesnt have anything like nausea/vomiting, or pain in your jaw/shoulder, sweating/chills or changes as you move around, heart pain like that is pretty much always anxiety or GERD related. There's also precordial catch syndrome which I get quick often.

Could just be dehdryation related too, which could spike your pulse, that is a lot to take at one time so it isn't suprising.
Yeah I have checked my pulse on occasion, doesn't seem anything out of the ordinary from what I can tell.

I've been totally fine since I had the all clear from the doctor. I think what happened was, is that I got some chest pain once during a session, and that made me kinda freak out a little bit, and then the worry probably caused continuing chest pain. Either way, it's gone now, and I'm not anxious.

I do need to drink more water, I am gonna make a point to start doing that!

Palmetto

Thank God!
Kava can cause heartburn, which can cause chest pain. Heartburn does make you slightly more likely to have a heart attack too.