What's new

Chiefs jungle

kl.Gray Owl

Kava Enthusiast
Just ordered 250g each of Chief's Jungle and WOW! don't know if I'll like 'em I've already got some KBR Van3 on the way, Tongan Pride is the last thing on my wish list for the moment.

kl.Gray Owl

Kava Enthusiast
To me Chief's Jungle tastes pretty gross, but it didn't make me gag. I only did 40 g because I didn't know how I was going to react.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Definitely one of the roughest of the bunch. If you want to try something really strong and really nasty, order from PNG Kava. They sent me a sample (they don't normally ship orders for purchase, but are looking for kava bars to sell their grog) and that stuff knocked me down but also tasted like lawn clippings.

kl.new2kava

Kava Enthusiast
I actually really like the taste of chiefs for some reason. I love the pine flavor it has and also the sponginess in the texture of the root, it is definately a great root for hand squeezing. I don't find it's potency to nearly as high as it's advertised though and find it quite mild, however stone from N@H I find to be extremely potent. Chiefs is really great to use in mixture of a couple different types of kava as the pine taste remains but is not quite as pungent, the best mix I made was equal parts of; chiefs, stone and van3.

Prince Philip

Duke of Edinborogu
It's OK, taste wise, after it's first made, but overnight in the fridge is enough to make it taste like grass-clippings, IMHO.

What's fascinating is the marketing. "This is the BEST!" Whereas about 3Kyo the cultivators of kava (kavavators?) said, "This isn't too bad, but I know we can improve this," and spent several generations turning Madang Short into the sterile cultivars enjoyed today which are much lower in DHK and higher in Kavain.

As a Teetotaler, I enjoy Chief's as "Waeld Koniak." Given the right set, setting, and dose, it does simulate ethanol very well.

Don't tell anyone, but much of the kava vs. ethanol is cultural expectations regarding what the two are "supposed" to do. If you've ever seen a commercial for Corona beer, you'll notice it's marketed as if it were kava - sunset and palm trees included. I should be pretty clear that what I mean is the optical effects... everything becomes "crisp" and somehow brighter and more beautiful, as well as the muscle-relaxant/sedative effects.

I'll stop now, before I forget why I gave up drinking.

kl.el187joker

Kava Enthusiast
i like the taste of chiefs. it is definately the strongest kava ive tried so far. i just recieved a bag a couple days ago and i love it. the flavor is strong but doesnt make me gag. and it is potent!

Prince Philip

Duke of Edinborogu
I don't think you'll be disappointed, Sentiententity, but do not set your expectations based on WOW. WOW is a highly processed and refined Nobel kava. The plant behind it has undergone thousands of years of breeding to be something that people like you or I can drink every day without ill effect. The plant is designed, through several generations (both human and piperine) to have a quick onset and not leave any psychic residue. Waeld Koniak, on the other hand, is a primitive-but-potent cultivar that is low in those very kavalactones that produce a quick and clean effect, and high in those kavalactones that produce a longer-lasting and still-feel-it-in-the-morning effect.

Many love it for that reason (sort of like how if a movie is going to be eight dollars anyway, it should have a longer run-time). Others disagree.

Prince Philip

Duke of Edinborogu
Also, I'm not sure if Nasak Ltd. is still in business or not, but their domain (pngkava.com) seems to have expired.