What's new

Comparable straings to Pouni Ono?

VictoriousSpoon

Kava Curious
Hi all,

I am relatively new to kava. 20 years ago when i first tried kava, it made me feel momentarily feel very drunk, followed by becoming violently ill and dizzy with a massive headache. It's only recently I discovered noble kavas.

After having tried Kalm with Kava's Tonga Pouni Ono and Vanuato instantized products, I am a fan. It's great stuff, but a bit on the pricey side.

I wanted to ask other members, what are great comparable kava strains to those two? The Pouni Ono was more fitting for daytime/social events, and the Vanuatu for PM/relaxation.

Cheers

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Most of the Polynesian kavas will be similar to Pouni Ono...so most Tongan, Samoan & Hawaiian root you find will be similar. The hawaiian stuff has a bit more variation though, but many are similar to the tonga/samoa stuff.

Melanesian kavas can be very diverse, there are some that are just as light clean as the tongan stuff, but there are many that have more degrees of depth than that. Melanesian kava will often have a stronger, more herbal, piney or bitter flavor.

Mo'iety

Kava Enthusiast
Hi all,

I am relatively new to kava. 20 years ago when i first tried kava, it made me feel momentarily feel very drunk, followed by becoming violently ill and dizzy with a massive headache. It's only recently I discovered noble kavas.

After having tried Kalm with Kava's Tonga Pouni Ono and Vanuato instantized products, I am a fan. It's great stuff, but a bit on the pricey side.

I wanted to ask other members, what are great comparable kava strains to those two? The Pouni Ono was more fitting for daytime/social events, and the Vanuatu for PM/relaxation.

Cheers
In terms of effect profile, Mo'i from Gourmet Hawaiian Kava should be close. I haven't tried Pouni Ono but it's a heady cultivar and Mo'i is among the headiest of headys (that I've sampled at least). It's one of, if not my favorite, kava. But it's so heady I often round it out with a bit of a more balanced cultivar when I prepare it, or make a shell of Mo'i after a shell or two of a different cultivar. in that case, it's great for getting the kavain buzz back without adding much to the ongoing heavy effects.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

EmeraldKava3690

Kava Curious
This is good to know. Just finished my Fijan Loa Waka from KWK, and before that had there Pouni. Probably time to take a little break to reset but when looking to buy more soon would like to get something as really heady as possible - anymore suggestions would also be welcome.

Hightide

Kava Enthusiast
From what I've tried so far Tongan Choice from thekavaroots.com was similiar to Pouni Ono. I liked it more actually. It is heady and is good for loosening up socially

Mo'iety

Kava Enthusiast
Mo'i from Gourmet Hawaiian Kava is my favorite for pure heady. Kelai from the Kava Society is supposed to be like that as well, perhaps even headier, but shipping costs to the US make it more expensive.