What's new

Confusion over chemotypes

Jack3

Kava Enthusiast
I’m confused over the discrepancy between what I would expect from the chemotype and what I see in the reviews. For instance, Tongan Pouni Ono is said to be heady with little sedation, but the chemotype is 426531.

2 is DHK which is said to be heavily sedating and 6 is methysticin which is also said to have sedative effects. In the 2nd and 3rd position, respectively, I would guess they would be strong in the mix. 5 is DHM, by far the most sedating and the primary culprit for the two day impairment from Tudei strains.

Can anyone clarify for me?

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I’m confused over the discrepancy between what I would expect from the chemotype and what I see in the reviews. For instance, Tongan Pouni Ono is said to be heady with little sedation, but the chemotype is 426531.

2 is DHK which is said to be heavily sedating and 6 is methysticin which is also said to have sedative effects. In the 2nd and 3rd position, respectively, I would guess they would be strong in the mix. 5 is DHM, by far the most sedating and the primary culprit for the two day impairment from Tudei strains.

Can anyone clarify for me?
DHK is moderately sedating, DHM on the other hand is the heavier one in the 4th position of lactone concentration. You need to examine the percentage of lactones from one to the other. Pouni 'Ono used to be heady about 4 years ago but the percentages changed with new crops, the chemotype was different back then.

Kalm with Kava

Kava Vendor
DHK is moderately sedating, DHM on the other hand is the heavier one in the 4th position of lactone concentration. You need to examine the percentage of lactones from one to the other. Pouni 'Ono used to be heady about 4 years ago but the percentages changed with new crops, the chemotype was different back then.
FYI only the first two digits (4 and 2) have alternated throughout the years since they're always nearly identical in strength. We've had the same results in chemotype composition since May of 2019.

Alark

Kava Curious
My OWN assumption:
Maybe its like
97% kavain
1.5% DHK
1% methysticin
0.5% the rest

So technically they are second and third.

Jack3

Kava Enthusiast
After checking my notes, I see that kavain and methysticin both mitigate the unpleasant effects of both DHK and DHM.