What's new

Could blood in stool be related to kava?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hightide

Kava Enthusiast
So I just started drinking kava a few days ago, so far the results have been amazing. I feel so much calmer and at peace in social situations, I feel like I can get my life on track again.

I did have bright red in my stool though, it got me a little worried that maybe kava is hard on my body or something. In general I feel great but it I haven't been eating as much as usual and just drinking this drink that is foreign to my body. makes me a bit concerned, especially since it has helped me so much already I really want to keep drinking it.

Maybe it's blood or I was thinking it could be my body reacting to a big decrease on stress, maybe releasing something else idk.

Is this a big deal?

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
It's not normal and has never been associated with kava...so it's probably unrelated.
Are we talking liquid blood in the bowl or blood on your toilet paper...or did you just see something red in your stool, that perhaps was some undigested red thing you ate and mistook for blood?

Anyway, bright red blood is normally from a hemorrhoid or something similar and serious internal bleeding would make black stool not red.

Hightide

Kava Enthusiast
Thanks for getting back to me.. It was just bright red on the toilet paper, but seemed like quite a bit. I've never had this happen much so figure it might be related, but glad to hear the two aren't usually associated.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
So I just started drinking kava a few days ago, so far the results have been amazing. I feel so much calmer and at peace in social situations, I feel like I can get my life on track again.

I did have bright red in my stool though, it got me a little worried that maybe kava is hard on my body or something. In general I feel great but it I haven't been eating as much as usual and just drinking this drink that is foreign to my body. makes me a bit concerned, especially since it has helped me so much already I really want to keep drinking it.

Maybe it's blood or I was thinking it could be my body reacting to a big decrease on stress, maybe releasing something else idk.

Is this a big deal?
Not likely kava related - and get yourself to a doctor. Pronto. It typically is not a big deal and will likely heal on its own, but don't screw around with it. I had a very good friend of mine wait too long after seeing blood in his stool and at age 35 he found out he had colon cancer. Luckily he was able to recover fully after a really shitty year+ of chemo and surgery to remove a portion of his colon. If he had gotten to the doctors earlier he could have possibly avoided a lot of pain and heartache.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
GO TO THE DOCTOR
100% Agree. This is an issue that's serious enough to best let an actual physician diagnose it. Could be a bunch of nothing, or it could be something very serious.

Also, no it's not something we normally see with kava consumption.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Yeah, see a doctor about any blood in the stool but typically red blood just means something physical somewhere near the anus or not far inside. The real bad stuff is small black hard and dark and mixed in with the rest of the stool. But either way it has to get checked out. It's just that you are very likely to get good news. But you still have to, as with blood in urine. Similarly with urine, much depends on colour, which is a reflection of where down the stream it originated from.

Hightide

Kava Enthusiast
Ok great I talk to an ER receptionist she said it's usually not serious but I'll have an appointment with a doc next week. Hopefully it's nothing. Glad to know I'll likely to be able to keep using kava!

Mo'iety

Kava Enthusiast
Are we talking liquid blood in the bowl or blood on your toilet paper...or did you just see something red in your stool, that perhaps was some undigested red thing you ate and mistook for blood?

@shane1717 I'm sure it's nothing to worry about but always good to get it checked out anyways!

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Ok great I talk to an ER receptionist she said it's usually not serious but I'll have an appointment with a doc next week. Hopefully it's nothing. Glad to know I'll likely to be able to keep using kava!
Sorry if I came off harsh or scary. It is probably 99% of the time no big deal, but on the off chance it is something not good better to catch it early. Not to mention men have a tendency to not go to doctors....me included.

Hightide

Kava Enthusiast
No worries, like you I would just ignore it usually. Like you said a small trip could potentially save a lot of heartache

Sorry if I came off harsh or scary. It is probably 99% of the time no big deal, but on the off chance it is something not good better to catch it early. Not to mention men have a tendency to not go to doctors....me included.

Status
Not open for further replies.