What's new

Kava Botany Cultivar identification in Hawaii

swillis

Kava Curious
aloha! heres a quick little backstory. i live in hawaii, on big island, and have been drinking kava regularly for about 2 years now (always buying from Gorumet Hawaiian Kava- thanks for a delicious local product!).
i got my first kava plants from an auntie who lives down in HPP a few years ago. she said she used to be a kava farmer north of hilo. over the years i lost all the varieties i got from her except one. i recently went back to her to gather some more plants as ive acquired 12 acres in hakalau, and i see kava as an important crop, and was trying to identify the one cultivar i still have around from that first interaction. she was quite vague and said varieties she sells are hawaiian and are from Paupa New Guinea.
ive ruled out the hawaiian cultivars. during my research ive basically determined its one of the two PNG varieties iwi or isa, as far as i can tell those are the main PNG cultivars here in hawaii. while reading, Hawaiian Awa: Views of an Ethnobotanical Treasure, i noticed the only descriptive difference between the two is isa is pubescent. while taking a hard look at my plants, im thinking this could be the pubescence described?

the real question: is this PNG isa?

this plant grows too easily. i started getting suspicious about it when basically every cutting ive planted has taken off. the real hawaiian cultivars ive gotten do not grow the same, probably due to my cultivation. my oldest planting is about 5 years old and im thinking about harvesting. i do want to be sure on cultivar before i consume though. im trying to determine if i should continue planting this one out or if i should stop propagating and focus on just the hawaiian cultivars, which is probably what i want to do! ive read about isa and how its not a noble nor tudei, so this isnt a discussion on isa per se.

i can take some pictures of the older specimen later in the week when i head over to my old site. my oldest plant here is about a year or two old. so identification may not be ideal as it isnt so mature. let me know if i need some better photos for identification.

please excuse the burnt leaves. just harvested a banana and cut back two large pigeon peas, check out that mulch though!

DSC_0082.JPG
DSC_0087.JPG
DSC_0088.JPG
DSC_0091.JPG
DSC_0093.JPG
DSC_0095.JPG
DSC_0097.JPG
DSC_0099.JPG
DSC_0100.JPG
DSC_0105.JPG
DSC_0109.JPG

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
aloha! heres a quick little backstory. i live in hawaii, on big island, and have been drinking kava regularly for about 2 years now (always buying from Gorumet Hawaiian Kava- thanks for a delicious local product!).
i got my first kava plants from an auntie who lives down in HPP a few years ago. she said she used to be a kava farmer north of hilo. over the years i lost all the varieties i got from her except one. i recently went back to her to gather some more plants as ive acquired 12 acres in hakalau, and i see kava as an important crop, and was trying to identify the one cultivar i still have around from that first interaction. she was quite vague and said varieties she sells are hawaiian and are from Paupa New Guinea.
ive ruled out the hawaiian cultivars. during my research ive basically determined its one of the two PNG varieties iwi or isa, as far as i can tell those are the main PNG cultivars here in hawaii. while reading, Hawaiian Awa: Views of an Ethnobotanical Treasure, i noticed the only descriptive difference between the two is isa is pubescent. while taking a hard look at my plants, im thinking this could be the pubescence described?

the real question: is this PNG isa?

this plant grows too easily. i started getting suspicious about it when basically every cutting ive planted has taken off. the real hawaiian cultivars ive gotten do not grow the same, probably due to my cultivation. my oldest planting is about 5 years old and im thinking about harvesting. i do want to be sure on cultivar before i consume though. im trying to determine if i should continue planting this one out or if i should stop propagating and focus on just the hawaiian cultivars, which is probably what i want to do! ive read about isa and how its not a noble nor tudei, so this isnt a discussion on isa per se.

i can take some pictures of the older specimen later in the week when i head over to my old site. my oldest plant here is about a year or two old. so identification may not be ideal as it isnt so mature. let me know if i need some better photos for identification.

please excuse the burnt leaves. just harvested a banana and cut back two large pigeon peas, check out that mulch though!

View attachment 11391 View attachment 11392 View attachment 11393 View attachment 11394 View attachment 11395 View attachment 11396 View attachment 11397 View attachment 11398 View attachment 11399 View attachment 11400 View attachment 11401
Yes, that is Isa, auntie Angie has a lot of Isa. If you need some cuttings let me know and I will make sure you get some Hawaiian 'Awa. Aloha.

Chris

swillis

Kava Curious
Yes, that is Isa, auntie Angie has a lot of Isa. If you need some cuttings let me know and I will make sure you get some Hawaiian 'Awa. Aloha.

Chris
haha i knew if i described the situation a little someone would know auntie! i had forgotten her name so thats awesome. thanks for the quick reply! good to know i was on the right track with my botany investigation! ill have to break the isa and smell it too. i would love some hawaiian awa cuttings!!