What's new

cultivating kava in Europe

Krunkonaut

The life of a kavaholic
I live in Belgium and I'm close on getting my hands on a few kava cuttings! It's summer atm so growing the kava cuttings into a young plant won't be too big of an issue, at least that's what I hope for. cultivating the exotic plant for 4 years in Belgium's temperate maritime climate will be a challenge, but I think it's worth it to give it a shot!
Tips are always greatly appreciated!;)

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Once summer is over, they will die without a temperature controlled green house...and possibly before that. I tried growing some in Los Angeles last year, only half of the cuttings sprouted and soon after that bugs ate the young leaves and some kind worm/larvae ate the roots.

There are or have been successful kava plants in Europe, at places like Royal Botanical Gardens London & The Paris Museum but they are in controlled environments.

Good luck. ::kavaleaf::

Krunkonaut

The life of a kavaholic
Once summer is over, they will die without a temperature controlled green house...and possibly before that. I tried growing some in Los Angeles last year, only half of the cuttings sprouted and soon after that bugs ate the young leaves and some kind worm/larvae ate the roots.

There are or have been successful kava plants in Europe, at places like Royal Botanical Gardens London & The Paris Museum but they are in controlled environments.

Good luck. ::kavaleaf::
Thanks, I might need some haha.
Would indoor cultivating in a humidity and temperature controlled environment be better or would it create other problems as well?

Last edited:

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
Kava will die if it endures temps below 20C for more than a day or two. A temperate maritime climate in Belgium isn't warm enough. You're gonna need a heated greenhouse. And grow lamps for those long winter nights.

Krunkonaut

The life of a kavaholic
Kava will die if it endures temps below 20C for more than a day or two. A temperate maritime climate in Belgium isn't warm enough. You're gonna need a heated greenhouse. And grow lamps for those long winter nights.
I'm gonna start with some growing lamps and a small humidity tent in my room. Hopefully that will keep them alive.

kavaeu

I live in Belgium and I'm close on getting my hands on a few kava cuttings! It's summer atm so growing the kava cuttings into a young plant won't be too big of an issue, at least that's what I hope for. cultivating the exotic plant for 4 years in Belgium's temperate maritime climate will be a challenge, but I think it's worth it to give it a shot!
Tips are always greatly appreciated!;)
hello @Krunkonaut have you sourced any kava plants in europe? i am trying to get some as well
cheers

Reactions: Pzk