What's new

Daily Kava consumption?

VictoriousSpoon

Kava Curious
Hello,

I am a new user to kava. I have read about people consuming kava daily; does one not develop a tolerance to the effects of kava by this, or does gaba receptor downregulation have a shallow limit, and one can continue to enjoy kava on a daily basis?

If not, i realize everyone is different, but what is the typical maximum frequency one can consume kava without tolerance issues?

Thanks all.

The Victorious Spoon.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
After 3 years of daily kava drinking, no, you do not develop a "drug tolerance" whereby you need larger amounts to achieve same effect. Sometimes you cannot repeat desired effects no matter how much you consume so it is a waste of time, e.g. to chase that euphoria dragon you find with a new batch of heady kava, so you don't waste your time trying to do what cannot be done.

I did, however, after about 8 months develop a tolerance for the flavour and now I love the taste of kava.

and finally, to answer your question, I drink 2 - 4L of kava every day and have done so for three years now. One of the best lifestyle choices I ever made, for sure.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Hello,

I am a new user to kava. I have read about people consuming kava daily; does one not develop a tolerance to the effects of kava by this, or does gaba receptor downregulation have a shallow limit, and one can continue to enjoy kava on a daily basis?

If not, i realize everyone is different, but what is the typical maximum frequency one can consume kava without tolerance issues?

Thanks all.

The Victorious Spoon.
You'll find the opposite to be true, the more you drink the less you need. It builds up in your system so all you are doing daily is topping yourself up.

VictoriousSpoon

Kava Curious
After 3 years of daily kava drinking, no, you do not develop a "drug tolerance" whereby you need larger amounts to achieve same effect. Sometimes you cannot repeat desired effects no matter how much you consume so it is a waste of time, e.g. to chase that euphoria dragon you find with a new batch of heady kava, so you don't waste your time trying to do what cannot be done.

I did, however, after about 8 months develop a tolerance for the flavour and now I love the taste of kava.

and finally, to answer your question, I drink 2 - 4L of kava every day and have done so for three years now. One of the best lifestyle choices I ever made, for sure.
Only 2-4 liters? Why drink plain water, when there's kava :smuggrin:

KAVATOM

Kava Curious
and finally, to answer your question, I drink 2 - 4L of kava every day and have done so for three years now. One of the best lifestyle choices I ever made, for sure.[/QUOTE]

I'd need a kava daddy to support this lifestyle.
Sorry, I don't know how to quote properly!

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Sorry, I don't know how to quote properly![/QUOTE]
I developed some prep techniques to increase my yield. I go through a pound in 9 days. Still cheaper than what I was spending on beer back then.

VictoriousSpoon

Kava Curious
Ok Gents,

So in my limited prior experience using 32 oz of Kalm with Kava's instant kava, I did not experience this reverse tolerance; it was conventional tolerance, and I used the product 2-3x per week. Initially, the recommended 1 TBSP dosing worked well, however by the time I neared the last dose, I needed two or more TBSP to achieve the same effect. (great product in my novice opinion btw; taste was excellent, very clean buzz, just expensive). I am thinking though however, that my dosing was probably too infrequent to experience this reverse tolerance, assuming my physiology would make it possible for me.

More recently, I've been experimenting with Fiji Fresh kava. First batch, I used the traditional cold water method, barely noticeable effects. Second batch, used the microwave method, a bit better.

THIRD batch- I used the boil method, and after reading kavalactones are lipophillic, added soy lethicin (emulsifier) and blended the concoction with an immersion blender; it's hitting me hard as I speak, quite satisfied with this product now. The lecithin seems to enhance absorption quite a bit sans greasy food.

Heating methods seem to be much more effective for extracting all the kavalactones, however the caveat is that since kava root has a very high starch content, it thickens the mixture a bit. I don't really mind this, and not breathing through my nose makes consumption easy. I'm already starting to acquire a taste for kava.

Last edited:

VictoriousSpoon

Kava Curious
Sorry, I don't know how to quote properly!
I developed some prep techniques to increase my yield. I go through a pound in 9 days. Still cheaper than what I was spending on beer back then.
Are you a swede? I have heard of Scandinavian liquor prices due to taxing, from Swedes/Norwegians I have known in the past. My ex's father spent some time in jail for liquor smuggling, meanwhile her mother is a member of Swedish parliament. Interesting family for sure haha.

Last edited:

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Ok Gents,

So in my limited prior experience using 32 oz of Kalm with Kava's instant kava, I did not experience this reverse tolerance; it was conventional tolerance, and I used the product 2-3x per week. Initially, the recommended 1 TBSP dosing worked well, however by the time I neared the last dose, I needed two or more TBSP to achieve the same effect. (great product in my novice opinion btw; taste was excellent, very clean buzz, just expensive). I am thinking though however, that my dosing was probably too infrequent to experience this reverse tolerance, assuming my physiology would make it possible for me.

More recently, I've been experimenting with Fiji Fresh kava. First batch, I used the traditional cold water method, barely noticeable effects. Second batch, used the microwave method, a bit better.

THIRD batch- I used the boil method, and after reading kavalactones are lipophillic, added soy lethicin (emulsifier) and blended the concoction with an immersion blender; it's hitting me hard as I speak, quite satisfied with this product now. The lecithin seems to enhance absorption quite a bit sans greasy food.

Heating methods seem to be much more effective for extracting all the kavalactones, however the caveat is that since kava root has a very high starch content, it thickens the mixture a bit. I don't really mind this, and not breathing through my nose makes consumption easy. I'm already starting to acquire a taste for kava.
Try adding some cow's milk to your mix, say 20% of your liquid, i use 2% fat milk. I have found that it helps my body absorb the kava better.

VictoriousSpoon

Kava Curious
I haven't touched kava since Wednesday, but in the preceeding week I had 2-6 tablespoons daily. At one point a week ago, i had so much I became nauseus/sleepy, I think it was the second night. I was hoping reverse tolerance would have kicked in by now... but tonight I found, I required 4 heaping tablespoons of medium grind to feel a strong effect- this is more than I needed previously.