What's new

Daily Kava drinkers?

TrevC

Kava Enthusiast
I was curious as to how many here are daily Kava drinkers, and what your average consumption amount is.

A little while back, my doctor recommended I quit drinking Kava, based on a suspicion that I had "narrowing veins".
It was a little odd, since it happened like this: I mentioned I drink Kava, he sorta looked me up and down, and then proclaimed that I have narrowing veins.
:/
I had read about the liver toxicity concerns, and further read that it is almost not a concern with Noble Kava. But this new thing alarmed me.

I had really come to enjoy Kava, despite the dry skin and all, and looked forward to the anxiolytic effect.
Also, I had sorta broken through reverse tolerance, and learned to space out shells to get a sustained benefit. (Prior to that, I would just knead/strain 40 grams and enjoy a sense of well-being for about 30 minutes. Gag-inducing, AND disappointing duration.)

So right when I was starting to "figure it out", I quit.
After doing some further reading, I've started to once again enjoy late afternoon Kava Supreme sessions. I've tried so many, from various vendors, but that easy-to-get Kavafied Kava Supreme has been the most consistent for me. (Still open to suggestions. I've tried varieties from GHK, BKH, KWK.)

At this point, I suppose I'm just looking for a bit of reassurance, or at least guidance and wisdom from veteran Kava drinkers.
I'm a little concerned about going back to every afternoon, for fear of causing some kind of irreversible damage to my body.
Is this an unfounded concern?

Do you drink daily? How much do you drink?

On my "on" days, I enjoy 3 shells each with 12 to 15 grams, prepared in an Alubottle, with about 400 oz water, spaced out at least 30 minutes apart. I've found that using less material in the Aluballs is the way to go, and 12 to 15 grams, or a couple good tablespoons, keeps it from being overstuffed.
(I'll sometimes add either cayenne pepper or turmeric + black pepper.)

Last edited:

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I drink 2 - 4 litres of kava each and every day, from the moment I wake to an hour or two before bed. And yeah, it averages to 3. I make the three litres from 50g or 8 TBS, running it through 6 or more washes of equivalent strength but obviously of descending volume with each iteration. But I tends to combine washes, esp the 1st with the second and the 5th with the 6th, for uniformity of strength and effect. I like to control effects, and not the other way around.

As for the doc, sounds sketchy enough to me I’d seek a second or even a third opinion before giving up kava.

I have posted many of my liver panels, all good. I don’t suffer from any problems attributable to kava, not even dermo for a long time. I get checked for tons of things frequently for other health issues and it would show very quickly if I had any problems. But you probably want a thumbs up from a real doc and I am just some shlamozl on the internet, so take that for what it is worth

Russell Caruso

TravelingMan
I have drank Kava daily for months at a time, a few times before. Inbetween those months, occasional use. I have never had, or noticed any liver problems, skin problems, etc. of any kind whatsoever. I however, have not had my liver tested. But I never had any discomfort or problems of any kind. Rarely stomach problems even.
As for specifically liver problems, I know loads of people on here drink tons of Kava daily, usually traditionally prepped, from trusted vendors and they all get their livers tested and they always come up fine.
There is a place on these forums somewhere that shows people's liver panels/test results, i'm not sure where so I wish I could link ya, but it shouldn't be too hard to find. Lots of positive stories and proof that Kava is not harmful to the liver when made and consumed correctly in there.

TrevC

Kava Enthusiast
Thanks so much, guys! This has been reassuring.
I know there's not much of a guarantee anyone can give, but testimonials from longer-term users really help.

I'm going to hunt for that additional post about test results.

KavaKhris

Kava Curious
I go on stints of daily kava drinking, usually for a few weeks. It’s self limiting for me, some times I just don’t want to. No negative effects for me aside from a little dry skin / itchiness.

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
I think it's time to ask the doctor some more questions. Why does he say this? How does he know you have narrowing veins? What's the medical gold standard test for such a thing? Perhaps he has mistaken kava for something else he has read about that causes this. People get confused often about which herb kava actually is.

Obviously making a diagnosis and offering no treatment or prognosis is some BS. This doctor must've thought you were getting yourself in harm's way for some reason and decided to use the scare tactic. Doctors have done this to me before regarding other concerns.